New Additions

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Just got 3 1/2" OBT slings from a someone I know. They look healthy and one even has some color coming in. Can't wait to see these monsters grow! ;) Love these feisty little guys. Pretty great eaters too. Currently just leaving them in their pill bottles, but might rehouse next molt. Probably gonna rehouse them into the vial thing my water crystals and fish food come in lol

gobey

Arachnoknight
Have you ever raised OBTs before?

I was given a couple. They were really cool. But a headache.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Theres a good chance they're gunna run when you pop the top for feedings and watering so do it in a big Rubbermaid tub or the bathtub!

You can lightly mist the sides of the tub or tote with water and it will help to slow them down if they try escaping...

Always keep a catchcup handy with these guys and use tweezers/ tongs to feed and grab the water dish!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Theres a good chance they're gunna run when you pop the top for feedings and watering so do it in a big Rubbermaid tub or the bathtub!

You can lightly mist the sides of the tub or tote with water and it will help to slow them down if they try escaping...

Always keep a catchcup handy with these guys and use tweezers/ tongs to feed and grab the water dish!
+1 on a bun.

My slings always had escape on the mind. Only T that ever bolted on me was an OBT sling. Luckily I have catch cups everywhere.

They treat small enclosures as their whole hide. They will probably web the whole thing up. You may not see it until it pops right out.

Mine made web trampolines that they stayed on top of above the ground. They were actually attached to the top of the deli cup lids... It was pretty awful lol.

I gave them to a better home. I like the adults better.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I have really enjoyed watching mine grow. They are incredible predators as well. I have seen some sweet attacks when mine were young....My bigger one, which I believe to be female, is probably 3 inches or so and is pretty calm at least compared to my MM Hmac. No threat poses or other mayhem except during rehousing. She just doesn't want to be touched so I don't do that and we seem to be getting along fine....anybody else give your OBT a hide and relatively shallow substrate?

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have really enjoyed watching mine grow. They are incredible predators as well. I have seen some sweet attacks when mine were young....My bigger one, which I believe to be female, is probably 3 inches or so and is pretty calm at least compared to my MM Hmac. No threat poses or other mayhem except during rehousing. She just doesn't want to be touched so I don't do that and we seem to be getting along fine....anybody else give your OBT a hide and relatively shallow substrate?
Yeah... A little dug out rock cave hide... About 2 to 2.5 inches of substrate.

She's 4.5"

Got her that size in September.

She finally settled into using the hide... Hanging half out... Not really webbing much...

Now she's made an impenetrable dirt fortress around the hide and is never seen.

She never once has given a threat posture since I've had her. She runs to her hide if you make a noise... We attempted breeding her even. Never bothered us.

I also don't invade her space so.

The slings I had certainly were fascinating. I hust hated maintenance on them.

But they webbed so mucn and were quick and grew so fast. They were already orange at such a size... I watched both of them molt...

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
My tiny monsters didn't try to run. I popped the top off expecting Flash Gordon to come racing out and it just turned to face me. I threw in 3 tiny pinheads and it took em all down real fast. I always have a catch cup next to my slings, but honestly if i had to I'd take a bite for one of these guys. Rather they bite me than the dust...

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Yeah... A little dug out rock cave hide... About 2 to 2.5 inches of substrate.

She's 4.5"

Got her that size in September.

She finally settled into using the hide... Hanging half out... Not really webbing much...

Now she's made an impenetrable dirt fortress around the hide and is never seen.

She never once has given a threat posture since I've had her. She runs to her hide if you make a noise... We attempted breeding her even. Never bothered us.

I also don't invade her space so.

The slings I had certainly were fascinating. I hust hated maintenance on them.

But they webbed so mucn and were quick and grew so fast. They were already orange at such a size... I watched both of them molt...
The whole jack in the box routine always made me want to put them in a larger enclosure such as a deli cup for an inch sling and a shoebox size for a 2.5-3 inch juvenile....so far so good plus they grow so dang quick.

gobey

Arachnoknight
The whole jack in the box routine always made me want to put them in a larger enclosure such as a deli cup for an inch sling and a shoebox size for a 2.5-3 inch juvenile....so far so good plus they grow so dang quick.
I had just rehoused them to do precisely that right before I found them a home.

I was offered a couple more OBT freebies around 2.75"!!!!

And man for whatever reason you hear that and want to say "yeah of coarse!"

But again. One OBT is good. Especially a confirmed adult female. Too many flighty Ts just increases escape odds... Which are already high enough with the species I keep. Not that I'm ever just popping the top off willy nilly... But OBTs just decide,sometimes tongs are ladders from what understand.

I have to stop stockpiling cheap Ts too.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
idk with the slings I got I can open the lid and they never have tried to escape. Idk maybe I'm just l;ucky so far xD

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I had just rehoused them to do precisely that right before I found them a home.

I was offered a couple more OBT freebies around 2.75"!!!!

And man for whatever reason you hear that and want to say "yeah of coarse!"

But again. One OBT is good. Especially a confirmed adult female. Too many flighty Ts just increases escape odds... Which are already high enough with the species I keep. Not that I'm ever just popping the top off willy nilly... But OBTs just decide,sometimes tongs are ladders from what understand.

I have to stop stockpiling cheap Ts too.
While i actually love alot of the cheaper tarantula species and have built my initial collection by getting groups of them, i am about set on OBTs for now. I have two and believe one is a female. Rehousing can be insane with this species while any of the other skittish species I have turned out to be easily manageable. OBT stands alone in the intensity of their evasiveness during rehousing! I might be looking to get a few Hmac slings soon also and I know these can be quick. When I can't place an old enclosure inside the new one for rehousing, I do these species in the bathtub to give me some reaction time with the deli cub without squishing the spider or having it escape into some nook or cranny in my apartment. Still got to try the kiddie pool idea until i have a room with more open space!!!

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
While i actually love alot of the cheaper tarantula species and have built my initial collection by getting groups of them, i am about set on OBTs for now. I have two and believe one is a female. Rehousing can be insane with this species while any of the other skittish species I have turned out to be easily manageable. OBT stands alone in the intensity of their evasiveness during rehousing! I might be looking to get a few Hmac slings soon also and I know these can be quick. When I can't place an old enclosure inside the new one for rehousing, I do these species in the bathtub to give me some reaction time with the deli cub without squishing the spider or having it escape into some nook or cranny in my apartment. Still got to try the kiddie pool idea until i have a room with more open space!!!
What do uou mean kiddie pool idea?

gobey

Arachnoknight
H. mac slings are much easier to deal with. They're timid and don't bolt like my OBT slings did. They are quicker and more venomous however.

But overall the species tends to be shyer and less confrontational.

I like them better. They're my favorite baboon so far.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
What do uou mean kiddie pool idea?
I have this idea that rehousing in a kiddie pool of some kind with the slippery plastic or rubber for an inflateable might slow the speedsters down a hair. Most importantly, it would give me some reaction time and allow me to rehouse in a larger room which would also allow me to be patient and calm with escapees. My bathroom is tiny so even using the tub, i am really stressed about that one lunatic spider (undoubtedly an OBT) getting out and finding something to hide in....plus trying to dance around an escaping spider in a tiny bathroom ups the ante a little more than i like. Im not exactly tiny and nothing good can come from me moving too quickly in a confined space. If it was an inflateable kiddie pool with that crease under the round vertical sides, i bet the spider would run into it and most likely wedge itself in and stay put for a second or more....if someone gets to this before me can we name the method after myself? The brandon rehousing method.....sweet

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:25 PM ----------

H. mac slings are much easier to deal with. They're timid and don't bolt like my OBT slings did. They are quicker and more venomous however.

But overall the species tends to be shyer and less confrontational.

I like them better. They're my favorite baboon so far.
I only have a male and he is a pain in the rear....barely eats(only thinking about sex) and is a spaz. Plus he does not have the sweet color and pattern of the females. I am trying not to get attached as I know he will be short lived and i am not going to use him as my first attempt at packing a spider for shipping.....unless someone can give me a method to get him out of his hides and into a shipping container. I do not think he would go easily.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have this idea that rehousing in a kiddie pool of some kind with the slippery plastic or rubber for an inflateable might slow the speedsters down a hair. Most importantly, it would give me some reaction time and allow me to rehouse in a larger room which would also allow me to be patient and calm with escapees. My bathroom is tiny so even using the tub, i am really stressed about that one lunatic spider (undoubtedly an OBT) getting out and finding something to hide in....plus trying to dance around an escaping spider in a tiny bathroom ups the ante a little more than i like. Im not exactly tiny and nothing good can come from me moving too quickly in a confined space. If it was an inflateable kiddie pool with that crease under the round vertical sides, i bet the spider would run into it and most likely wedge itself in and stay put for a second or more....if someone gets to this before me can we name the method after myself? The brandon rehousing method.....sweet

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:25 PM ----------

I only have a male and he is a pain in the rear....barely eats(only thinking about sex) and is a spaz. Plus he does not have the sweet color and pattern of the females. I am trying not to get attached as I know he will be short lived and i am not going to use him as my first attempt at packing a spider for shipping.....unless someone can give me a method to get him out of his hides and into a shipping container. I do not think he would go easily.
Best start with something calmer. First T I shipped was a little MM dwarf terrestrial NW... And it was a freaking adventure. Nothing went as planned. And this guy who was docile as possible, and put up with a lot... Finally haired the crap out me.

I just mailed him again and 2 OBT slings.
This went much quicker and smoother with better planning and methods for all Ts involved.

I still wouldn't attempt shipping my big female OBT... Or any adult OW yet. I've unpacked, housed, and rehoused adult OWs and juvies a few times... I can't fathom getting them into shipping containers... Nope... Nope... Nopetrain to nopeville.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Best start with something calmer. First T I shipped was a little MM dwarf terrestrial NW... And it was a freaking adventure. Nothing went as planned. And this guy who was docile as possible, and put up with a lot... Finally haired the crap out me.

I just mailed him again and 2 OBT slings.
This went much quicker and smoother with better planning and methods for all Ts involved.

I still wouldn't attempt shipping my big female OBT... Or any adult OW yet. I've unpacked, housed, and rehoused adult OWs and juvies a few times... I can't fathom getting them into shipping containers... Nope... Nope... Nopetrain to nopeville.
THe only way I see packing OWs is putting them in a catchcup and giving them no other place to go, but the shipping container. Idk I haven't tried that on OWs and I prob won't for a while xD