Aphonopelma Chalcodes Only wants hisser?

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I have always fed my A. Chalcodes a wide array of feeders, but then he refused prey for an entire month. I put in a hisser upside down with butt to his hide and this morning he was happily muchig away. Any idea why this is?
image.jpg image.jpg

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Based on my reading it would appear that some Ts enjoy roaches so much that once they try them, they'll refuse anything else. Not exactly sure whether this is a fact or not, mind you, and owning roaches is a finable offence where I am so I can't really test the theory. :(

Last edited:

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
some ts are just picky eaters.
He def wasn't picky before...

---------- Post added 03-27-2015 at 01:46 PM ----------

Based on my reading it would appear that some Ts enjoy roaches so much that once they try them, they'll refuse anything else. Not exactly sure whether this is a fact or not, mind you, and owning roaches is a finable offence where I am so I can't really test the theory. :(
Is that really true? Well that sucks. Gotta pay like $1 for each meal I guess :<

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Was the roach dead when you put it in there? Maybe he took it because he could scavange instead of having to take it down.... He may be in premolt..

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I thought he was premolt but there is no darkened abdomen so idk. It's been like a month of fasting and the abdomen is a peachy skin-tone
Aphnos grow so slow!Your T could be in premolt for months! They may show signs of premolt weeks before its visible on the opithstoma and have a darkened abdomen for a long time before they actually molt!

I'm not saying I'm right about it being in premolt I'm just saying its possible!

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Aphnos grow so slow!Your T could be in premolt for months! They may show signs of premolt weeks before its visible on the opithstoma and have a darkened abdomen for a long time before they actually molt!

I'm not saying I'm right about it being in premolt I'm just saying its possible!
ok ill just assume you're right. As long as his abdomen looks ok i wont worry :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I have always fed my A. Chalcodes a wide array of feeders, but then he refused prey for an entire month. I put in a hisser upside down with butt to his hide and this morning he was happily muchig away. Any idea why this is?
There is some details missing here. Were hissers included in the prey insects provided during that month long fasting period? Based on the available information, it appears the spider was regularly fed, had its fill, and took the first prey item available when it was hungry again. Tarantula species from arid climates generally have a slower metabolism than the tropical species so they won't be able to keep up with the high amounts of food usually provided in captivity. Don't feed again for another month or two and provide something else. If it takes it, you know it didn't develop this picky eating habit others have suggested.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
There is some details missing here. Were hissers included in the prey insects provided during that month long fasting period? Based on the available information, it appears the spider was regularly fed, had its fill, and took the first prey item available when it was hungry again. Tarantula species from arid climates generally have a slower metabolism than the tropical species so they won't be able to keep up with the high amounts of food usually provided in captivity. Don't feed again for another month or two and provide something else. If it takes it, you know it didn't develop this picky eating habit others have suggested.
This. I have had no fasting issues with my rosie in the year I've had her. Then again I only feed her like once a month.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Ok will do thanks for the advice