Canned Tarantula

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that my inner foodie wants to try it.
I would try it, but not canned. I've eaten lots of multi-legged critters.

I once ate guinea pig, too. It's the Ecuadorean national dish, google "cuy." I can't say I cared for it much.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I would try it, but not canned. I've eaten lots of multi-legged critters.

I once ate guinea pig, too. It's the Ecuadorean national dish, google "cuy." I can't say I cared for it much.
I've seen a few documentaries where people ate it - in one case a girl broke into tears because all she could think of were her pet guinea pigs. LOL...Out of morbid curiosity, what does it taste like?

I can see why you wouldn't want to try canned Tarantula...it would probably be pretty stale.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have contemplated the idea of cooking my next MM tarantula that passes naturally...

Maybe stir fry....I just don't trust my cooking skills enough.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I have contemplated the idea of cooking my next MM tarantula that passes naturally...

Maybe stir fry....I just don't trust my cooking skills enough.
Considering we often don't know for sure if a T is dead until it starts stinking, I can't in good conscience recommend that.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well....I guess if I was pretty sure it was dead. (not moving, not showing any life in it at all). I mean, it is a mature male, if he looks dead, chances are, he is dead. It would necessarily be bad to eat him though....I mean....people kill many other animals to eat every day.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
That'd be an OW tarantula dinner, yes? I imagine the NW tarantulas have a bit too much fibre.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How would we know this canned tarantula wasn't already rotting when they canned it :p

14pokies

Arachnoprince
After the T is dug from its burrow they use a stick to break or rip out its fangs then it gets thrown into a hot sac while they collect more...

I can't hate on them too much though cuz its a cultural food source and I think its important that indigenous peoples stick to traditions...

I imagine tarantula would taste like a crawfish wrapped in a sweaty wool work sock that got wet and was stored in a heavy smokers garage!

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I can hear it now"those crazy Americans they eat chickens and keep spiders for pets".

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
After the T is dug from its burrow they use a stick to break or rip out its fangs then it gets thrown into a hot sac while they collect more...

I can't hate on them too much though cuz its a cultural food source and I think its important that indigenous peoples stick to traditions...

I imagine tarantula would taste like a crawfish wrapped in a sweaty wool work sock that got wet and was stored in a heavy smokers garage!
I checked out the store page; if it makes you feel any better, the canned ones the OP mentioned are farmed for eating. That's far better than going out into the bush and decimating local populations.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I checked out the store page; if it makes you feel any better, the canned ones the OP mentioned are farmed for eating. That's far better than going out into the bush and decimating local populations.
So they say.........don't know if I believe em or not. Heck, I don't believe my own FDA half the time.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
So they say.........don't know if I believe em or not. Heck, I don't believe my own FDA half the time.
That's a good point. But honestly, it's probably cheaper to raise them than to hunt them. You can get hundreds in a few clutches.