Attaching acrylic lid to sterilite container?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Is there any info out there for hinging an acrylic lid to a plastic tote/container for both arboreal and terrestrial setups, if that's possible? Especially something like a step-by-step tutorial or vid because unfortunately I'm godawful at DIY and have no idea where to start. But it's something I've been wanting to look into to save some money on premade cages and still have decent enough looking setups.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You will need to ascertain what type(s) of plastics Sterilite uses. You will need to find a glue that contains the solvents required for acrylic that also attack (cause bonding) to those plastics. I suspect they use PVC, HDPE, PVA and ABS. Possibly one of the Weld On glues from Curbell Plastics.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I use this stuff for enclosures and tons of other projects. It will make anything stick to just about ANYTHING! Use a cheap paintbrush to mix and apply because your going to throw it away afterward.

jb weld.jpg

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Or you could use aquarium/food safe silicon to fix both together.

If it were me, I'd try to modify the original tote lid if possible since it would be much cheaper than using acrylic. Unless your goal is to be able to see her better.