I have some questions on husbandry and breeding on a Mexican Fireleg.

Jason_73

Arachnopeon
I am getting a 1.5 inch fireleg female. What size of crickets should I fed it? On substrate they do burrow what would you say would be the best? I did know most of this I have not been in this for 15 years now. Times have changes where I have time to care for them right later on try breeding. Now if I do breed the fireleg how old do they have to be male? female?. How hard are they too breed the fireleg. Is there any good books or dvds on breeding? When I was in it before there was nothing out there for me to get knowledge on breeding. I have been looking around times have for sure changed more info. That is why I asked about breeding. I had 15 years ago two male mexican red knees and one female red knee. Like I said before no info. I ture love tarantulas always have snice I was a young kid. Now snice the kids are gone I want to get back into it again. I hope there are people that are willing to guide me on this or where to find good books and dvds on
tarantulas breeding, husbandry and info on others.

Please help me out. I am just starting out again.

Thank you for your time
Jason

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I personally would start with most recent edition of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide: Comprehensive Information on Care, Housing, and Feeding [Stanley A. Schultz, Marguerite J. Schultz]

They specialize more in NW terrestrials and have a nice section on breeding.

Jason_73

Arachnopeon
Yea, I am ordering that book next week. The only troubles I ordered her already. She will be here tuesday morning. I bought substrate all ready organic cattus soil. That is what T.com said for the best substrate for a fireleg. So, How deep do I make it in the vivarium for her. Plus I need to know what size of crickets should I feed her.. Her size is 1.5.
Thanks for the reply

Jason

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I'm assuming you are talking about a Brachypelma boehmei? Well anyways, most brachys require similar care. As far as breeding goes.....with a 1.5" specimen....you have plenty of time to research and prepare as necessary for your hopefully successful endeavor. I'd guess at least 1-2 years. Usually only the slings burrow and eventually around the size you have they don't anymore. Give em a hide and a water dish. I keep mine on coco fiber sub and it seems to work well. Crickets should be around the size of the two body segments of the T combined. Good luck! I'm always glad to see brachy enthusiasts. They are one of my favorite species. If you get some slings, I'll buy some ;)

cold blood

Staff member
If you get some slings, I'll buy some ;)
There are plenty of bridges to cross between now and slings....like about a decade worth of them. They do not grow fast...you should be looking at around the 5"mark for breeding...males can only breed once they have their final molt, they only get the tools at that point.

Keep the sub predominantly dry and provide a water dish. Feed it any size cricket it can take down....at 1.5 small crickets will work just fine. Feed one small cricket every 3-7 days depending on your temps, obviously you'll need to feed less if not kept too warm.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Breeding is years away with a young Brachypelma, no need to worry about that now. You need to use scientific names here; we have no idea what a 'Fireleg' is, as that name can be applied to a dozen Brachypelma species.

Keep the substrate on the dry side, no need to mist. They like a piece of cork to hide under and a water bowl. They will climb and slip from the sides of the cage, so anything hard needs to be away from the sides. Several inches of substrate is good. What kind of cage are you using? Yours is probably too small for a kritter keeper; young spiders can squeeze thru the slats.

scott99

Arachnoknight
I personally would start with most recent edition of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide: Comprehensive Information on Care, Housing, and Feeding [Stanley A. Schultz, Marguerite J. Schultz]

They specialize more in NW terrestrials and have a nice section on breeding.
1+ Ellenantula Every tarantulas owner should have this book.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
There are plenty of bridges to cross between now and slings....like about a decade worth of them.
And I'll still be interested in buying them then :p

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 11:20 AM ----------

Yours is probably too small for a kritter keeper; young spiders can squeeze thru the slats.
Even if you decide to use the smallest of Kritter keepers, although it is ill advised at this size, do not remove the carrying handle. Those holes are exactly how escapees happen.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
1+ Ellenantula Every tarantulas owner should have this book.
For the anatomy sections, which are second to none. There's some dubious advice on husbandry in there and many of today's species are not covered, all of which will hopefully be updated with the 4th edition.

Last edited:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
How many day's should I wait too try to feed her.
What I would do is get it into it's new home and try to offer it a meal the next day. If the T doesn't get it within a couple of hours, I'd remove it and try again in a few more days.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For the anatomy sections, which are second to none. There's some dubious advice on husbandry in there and many of today's species are not covered in there, all of which will hopefully be updated with the 4th edition.
For NW species, I think this book will be perfectly adequate for OP.

Not fussing at you, but I really don't understand why you don't write a book for updated stuff like OW species, and to address the dubious areas of TKG like handling, etc..
Have you spoken with anyone about a collaboration or at least tried pitching the idea on your own to a publisher?

TKG is perfect for someone like OP getting NW terrestrial, but TKG can't be recommended for all anymore, based on all the genus now being kept in the hobby.
A good guide is needed to meet the changing needs of the hobby.
You're not going to live forever, just seems like there is a market for a new book, and you appear to have such knowledge more in keeping with today's T hobby.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
For NW species, I think this book will be perfectly adequate for OP.

Not fussing at you, but I really don't understand why you don't write a book for updated stuff like OW species, and to address the dubious areas of TKG like handling, etc..
Have you spoken with anyone about a collaboration or at least tried pitching the idea on your own to a publisher?

TKG is perfect for someone like OP getting NW terrestrial, but TKG can't be recommended for all anymore, based on all the genus now being kept in the hobby.
A good guide is needed to meet the changing needs of the hobby.
You're not going to live forever, just seems like there is a market for a new book, and you appear to have such knowledge more in keeping with today's T hobby.
I think that if someone were to mine the posts from Poec54, cold blood and others, a pretty good book could be written. Add some of Tim Benzedrine's poetry at the beginning of each chapter, and you'd be set.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I think that if someone were to mine the posts from Poec54, cold blood and others, a pretty good book could be written. Add some of Tim Benzedrine's poetry at the beginning of each chapter, and you'd be set.
Someone make this happen.
I will pre-order.
But I demand a signed copy.

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's actually very true. It's the great thing about the forums here. Everyone can share their different experiences of what works and what doesn't and it's all in real time. This forum in many ways is better than any single book could be since the information is updated all the time and there is not a single individuals view of the hobbies and the creatures, but many ideas from across the spectrum. Not to say that the books out there aren't wonderful resources. I certainly learn from and enjoy them, but having them in conjunction with a forum like this is the best of all worlds.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
That's actually very true. It's the great thing about the forums here. Everyone can share their different experiences of what works and what doesn't and it's all in real time. This forum in many ways is better than any single book could be since the information is updated all the time and there is not a single individuals view of the hobbies and the creatures, but many ideas from across the spectrum. Not to say that the books out there aren't wonderful resources. I certainly learn from and enjoy them, but having them in conjunction with a forum like this is the best of all worlds.
It's self-correcting information. If I post something stupid (you definitely should get an OBT for your first T) someone will set it straight in minutes.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
This forum in many ways is better than any single book could be since the information is updated all the time and there is not a single individuals view of the hobbies and the creatures, but many ideas from across the spectrum. Not to say that the books out there aren't wonderful resources. I certainly learn from and enjoy them, but having them in conjunction with a forum like this is the best of all worlds.
I guess being a self-proclaimed techy-Luddite is an oxymoron, but I really want a book. The forum is wonderful, but it's not the same, for me. I want to smell the paper and the ink, feel the (hopefully) hardcover in my hands, and hear the sound as I turn its pages. The forum is undeniable helpful, but it's not organized the same way. I want a book with chapters on different genera, breeding, husbandry practices, etc., -- all organized with a nice Table of Contents in front and a more helpful index w/ page numbers in back. Throw in some professional pix and it would be perfect. A book. Like in the good ole days.

And then we can come argue in the forum about the updates the new book needs in a couple years. lol

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I mix coco and potting soil that is pesticide free. I bake my moistened substrates at 150 degrees until it dries. When I put into the enclosure I moisten it well but make sure it's not soggy. I keep my slings in higher humidity. Against most recommen-dations I do put my slings in a little bit bigger enclosure but give them more options for hiding. I do this so it's easier to transition to a more adult type situation. I put a 1.5 inch b smithi in a 5 by 5 acrylic cube. It spends a lot of its time in the. Main hide area but I do see it cruising around. The downside is that when you feed it's not as easy for them to get their food. Unless they are aggressive hunters

---------- Post added 03-29-2015 at 12:38 AM ----------

I agree I love books and the Shultz book is like a readable text book. Awesome!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I mix coco and potting soil that is pesticide free. I bake my moistened substrates at 150 degrees until it dries. When I put into the enclosure I moisten it well but make sure it's not soggy.
Why all the extra work? As soon as you put a spider and feeders in there, the substrate will begin to be contaminated. A cage isn't a sterile vacuum.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
It seems like a lot of trouble but I've found things inside coir before as well as the organic potting soil. It's just a good starting point for me but I usually overdo caution lol .