How to get rare herps for free!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've found that if you go to your local grocery store(s) and tell them that if they find any snakes, frogs, lizards, spiders, ect in their shipping, they'll usually call you and let you keep them. Just an idea for anyone interested. :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found that if you go to your local grocery store(s) and tell them that if they find any snakes, frogs, lizards, spiders, ect in their shipping, they'll usually call you and let you keep them. Just an idea for anyone interested. :)
I've done that, haven't gotten a thing. In the US, fruits and veggies that are shipped in from other countries are supposed to be inspected and are usually fumigated with insecticide(how wonderfully healthy for us, eh?) before being unloaded. It's very rare that anyling that might have been hiding in the shipment will survive that, at least undamaged.

pitbulllady

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've done that, haven't gotten a thing. In the US, fruits and veggies that are shipped in from other countries are supposed to be inspected and are usually fumigated with insecticide(how wonderfully healthy for us, eh?) before being unloaded. It's very rare that anyling that might have been hiding in the shipment will survive that, at least undamaged.

pitbulllady
That sucks. I've heard of a guy who got some orange tree frog in a banana shipment here.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I used to work at a pet store that was by a home store called eagle a guy came to the pet store told me there was a snake in the plants they just received and it went to the back of the truck. I checked it out and found a rattle snake about a 1.5 feet long. Needles to say that was my first venomous pet. I think it was a crotolus oregensus. Lol I'm sure that's how you spell it

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now I HAVE found snakes in live potted plants, but that's not the same as produce at a supermarket. I've found Earth Snakes and Browns in the soil of potted plants and once had to get a big FL King off of a delivery truck unloading live plants at a Food Lion, but fruits and vegetables for consumption that are shipped are sprayed with poison, especially if they're from another country.

pitbulllady

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got a small spider from a Buddha's hand before, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Just a little brown gnaphosid.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
iv done this for years haha.. you do get tree frogs, usually i send them over to the fish and game for display animals [nothing like finding tree frogs in your veg ;) lol] but it is rather interesting to see how many animals come in.. there was a plant nersery who brought in some [300+] half grown starberry plants like 2 maybe 3 years ago.. i was called out at 7am and by 815 i had 7 king snakes, 3 rattlers including a 6' giel big as a football [US football not eu] and a couple geckos XD

you can also get away with telling some local unkown pet stores that if their WC or adopted [from bad owners] lizards or birds lay infertal eggs [most here just toss them] youl take them off their hand but they cant be rotting.. i got 30+ beardies and tons of cockatiels, parakeets and parolets from this XD they usually toss them because they dont want to raise a baby and dont want "mean aggressive mommies" nor rotting smells in some cases... granted i did pick up quite a few eggs that was duds but 90% of their adopted pets where fertile and gravid -.-

Drache

Arachnosquire
It's probably more likely here in the US that you'll find small native species in your organic produce.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wound up with a tiny northern ring neck snake by shopping at a Salvation Army. They found it, were screaming, and one worker put it in a glass container, and I brought it home!

---------- Post added 03-31-2015 at 02:19 PM ----------

iv done this for years haha.. you do get tree frogs, usually i send them over to the fish and game for display animals [nothing like finding tree frogs in your veg ;) lol] but it is rather interesting to see how many animals come in.. there was a plant nersery who brought in some [300+] half grown starberry plants like 2 maybe 3 years ago.. i was called out at 7am and by 815 i had 7 king snakes, 3 rattlers including a 6' giel big as a football [US football not eu] and a couple geckos XD

you can also get away with telling some local unkown pet stores that if their WC or adopted [from bad owners] lizards or birds lay infertal eggs [most here just toss them] youl take them off their hand but they cant be rotting.. i got 30+ beardies and tons of cockatiels, parakeets and parolets from this XD they usually toss them because they dont want to raise a baby and dont want "mean aggressive mommies" nor rotting smells in some cases... granted i did pick up quite a few eggs that was duds but 90% of their adopted pets where fertile and gravid -.-
I've tried that, all the pet stores here throw the eggs away and refuse to give them out to public :[

/edit- WORKING for years in a grocery store, though, I've wound up with both a male and female adult rhino beetles, deer mice, mantids, etc.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I wound up with a tiny northern ring neck snake by shopping at a Salvation Army. They found it, were screaming, and one worker put it in a glass container, and I brought it home!

I've tried that, all the pet stores here throw the eggs away and refuse to give them out to public :[

/edit- WORKING for years in a grocery store, though, I've wound up with both a male and female adult rhino beetles, deer mice, mantids, etc.
I got a house spider once....thats about it xD

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is a giel?
Lol oops.. Its a fastly written, unproof-read girl ;D

---------- Post added 03-31-2015 at 05:45 PM ----------

I told some of them i wanted the eggs for their shells for my "compost pile"