ID help for Thailand spider please

Rob T

Arachnopeon
Can anyone help ID this spider found in a forest temple in the north of Thailand. The spiders seem to like the temple walls but are quick to hide whan appreoached. I'm think it is Araneidae but would like to get closer than just family level. Deciduous forest, elevation 620 meters.

This is my first post here hope there is enough inormation & thanks in advance.

3036716_orig.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whoa, that's pretty cool looking. Definitely Araneidae, but I'm not really sure besides that. Looks almost like Nephila but the legs don't look quite right.

Rob T

Arachnopeon
Hi pannaking22, the same temlpe is also home to a healthy population of Nephila pilipes and Herennia ornatissima.
I posted the Araneidae on a local forum but had no suggestions.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm going tentatively with nephila but we need more info. What is the web like? Can you get a pic with the legs extended? What size body and leg span?

BTW, which temple and where?

Rob T

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the ID NYInsectZoo, very much appreciated!

Hi The Snark, the temple is Wat Sakithaka (Wat Pha Lat) or (Wat Palaad),on Doi (mountain) Suthep, Chiang Mai.
Google maps 18.799106, 98.934023

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Thank you for the ID NYInsectZoo, very much appreciated!

Hi The Snark, the temple is Wat Sakithaka (Wat Pha Lat) or (Wat Palaad),on Doi (mountain) Suthep, Chiang Mai.
Google maps 18.799106, 98.934023
Thought so. I was a layman at that Wat for several years. It was a wildlife sanctuary. That's where I saw those spiders. The old office building's ceiling was covered in the webs of those spiders. Lovely partial orb webs. For your trivia, Pah Lat means down hill, which is rather appropriate.

The Viharn

The old administrative office building. The entire ceiling was webs of those spiders.

Last edited:

Rob T

Arachnopeon
Hi again The Snark, very cool you were at the temple! I first went there in 2010, it's one of my regular spots for wildlife. There has been a lot of new building constructed, but thankfully it's still off the tourist radar.

Again thank you all for the spider ID