First timer, bought this as a Chilean Rosehair, what is it really?

PRE66 6TART

Arachnopeon
First tarantula, first post. I hope I am posting this in the right place. I was going to post some pics in tarantula ID, but I will probably need further advice beyond just an ID.

I did a little research online (although I didn't find this site yet) before getting my first tarantula, and decided to get the classic first-timer tarantula, a Chilean Rose Hair. So I walked into a small pet store that sold mostly lizards and asked if they had any. I had read somewhere that these type of stores were more likely to know what they were doing than a big chain pet store. He said they had one left, and pulled it out from behind the counter. He said it was a female, and that they had more in the back but they were just babies.

I hung out for a bit and looked at it while he put together an enclosure for me, and then he rung me up. It was 20 bucks for the spider, 100 including the 10 gallon tank, substrate, hide, water dish, various fake plants and decorative things that I wanted to add, and a heat pad that he told me I needed.

It was at this point that a couple things happened that should have made me doubt that he knew what he was doing. First a teen-age girl walked up and asked what kind of tarantula it was. He said it was a "rosehair," and she said something like, "that doesn't look like a rosehair." But he just confidently assured her that it was, in fact, a "rosehair."

Then as he was transferring it out of the little plastic box it was in into the tank, it suddenly darted away from him and moved surprisingly quickly down the side of the counter, until it fell about three feet onto the floor, where he was able to catch it again. Luckily it was unhurt.

So I've had it for a couple weeks now, and after looking at lots of tarantula pics and vids, I've concluded that it most likely isn't what it was sold as, and that the pet store guy had no idea what he was doing. I'm not using the heat pad and got rid of the sponge in the water dish. I guess I need more substrate, but I'm not sure what he gave me or whether it's appropriate.

Behaviorally, it's quick to go into that threat posture and never turns down food. It roamed around a lot and climbed on the glass for the first few days, but now it hides more and always stays on the ground. I've never seen it flick hairs, and it hasn't made any more escape attempts or caused me any trouble when I need to get into the cage. I like that it is active and fun to look at. I don't really need to handle it, so I'm pretty happy with what I got, even if it is more defensive or whatever. But I'd like to know what it is and what it's needs are.

Here's the pics:

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
My guess would be Phormictopus cancerides or something closely related. Since it's the species I've seen most at LPS around here, that they're not known to kick hair often and are pretty defensive, I'd say it's likely.

Its needs are similar to those a rose hair would have(assuming I'm right about what it is of course) except that it will eat more so keep it dry with a water bowl and a hide and keep temps somewhere in the 70s or so and you'll be fine.

As for the substrate, more would be better since they sometimes dig when young and I'm guessing it's a long fall down from the top, but something with less wood in it would be better although it doesn't look too bad from the pics.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not so sure that this isn't a MM. It looks like that in some of the pictures but not in all the pictures.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Welcome! It doesn't look like a G. rosea/porteri to me, but hopefully the more experienced people here can help you out with the ID.

As for your setup, a 10 gallon tank has a lot of unessary height to it that can prove dangerous in a fall, as Sam mentioned, so you'll need to fill most of that tank with substrate. It's generally recommended for terrestrials that the height from the ground to the lid shouldn't be longer than the leg span of the spider. And if the lid is a screen top there's the issue that its claws could snag in the mesh if it climbs and tear off a leg, or it can even be pushed up for an escape.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I'm not so sure that this isn't a MM. It looks like that in some of the pictures but not in all the pictures.
I though I was seeing hooks in some of them, but there's no boxing glove on the pedipalps so I doubt that's the case.

cgrinter

Arachnopeon
Sure looks like cancerides (Haitian brown). You inadvertently have purchased a more aggressive tarantula, so give up hopes of ever holding this spider. But my cancerides is one of my favorites because of how aggressively she eats and burrows when she is ready to molt - much more interesting than my pet-rock rose hair!

If you really don't want an aggressive spider you should take it back to the store, you might have some luck getting a refund. At the very least I'd tell the manager/owner that they are selling an aggressive species that might result in some pissed off customers.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It seems pretty lanky but i can't see any male organs on it from what she posted, my only concern is that the OP is okay with the spider. From what I can tell they seem to be doing fine with it but if it is an LP then thats not the worst thing to have in world either, just use tongs and keep the fingers away.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
So I've had it for a couple weeks now, and after looking at lots of tarantula pics and vids, I've concluded that it most likely isn't what it was sold as, and that the pet store guy had no idea what he was doing. I'm not using the heat pad and got rid of the sponge in the water dish. I guess I need more substrate, but I'm not sure what he gave me or whether it's appropriate.
So refreshing to see a first poster who can read on their own...and post with pictures even. You're doing a great job, keep up the good work and never stop reading. I also think it looks like a Phormictopus, for what it's worth.

PRE66 6TART

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone. I've been eagerly awaiting your replies. After looking at a lot of pictures and YouTube videos and such, I was thinking it might be P. Cancerides too, so I've already read up on them a bit. She (assuming it is a female) fits the behavioral descriptions I've read pretty well. She eats like crazy. I wanted to see what kind of appetite she had, so I figured I would keep offering her crickets until she stopped pouncing on and devouring them. 18 smallish crickets later, I realized she wasn't going to stop, so I stopped before she burst. How long should I wait before before feeding her again?

I don't mind not being able to hold her. That was never really what I was interested in anyway. I feel like I'm kind of lucky to have gotten a close up, first hand demonstration at the pet store of what NOT to do. He treated her as though it were docile and predictable, and I saw how quickly things could go bad.

Also, since I made my first post, she has apparently been very busy moving all the dirt out from under her hide, to the point where she is now sitting on the bare bottom of the tank. Does that signify anything, other than that she needs more substrate?

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Yeah, she wants to go deeper. Ditch that substrate and get her something without woodchips. I like coco coir, or potting soil with NO ADDITIVES (some fertilizers can be deadly).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not a MM. You can clearly see the palpal tarsi in some of the pics. probably cancerides. Not overly aggressive, but certainly on the lively side. Since roseas are notorious for their mood swings, often turning defensive after a certain molt, there's not much point in trading this in for a rosea. This is a much more interesting spider.

---------- Post added 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM ----------

Its needs are similar to those a rose hair would have(assuming I'm right about what it is of course) except that it will eat more so keep it dry with a water bowl and a hide and keep temps somewhere in the 70s.
It should be on moist substrate, not dry. Haiti's a wet place.

---------- Post added 03-30-2015 at 03:08 PM ----------

If you really don't want an aggressive spider you should take it back to the store, you might have some luck getting a refund.
That's pointless, as a number of roseas are defensive, or become that way with age. Read some of the stories from owners here. At least cancerides eats, molts and grows on a regular basis. The OP came out ahead on this deal.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Ditch the heat pad. Those are no good for T's...........sorry, you did say you weren't using it. Had to edit.....lol

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks everyone. I've been eagerly awaiting your replies. After looking at a lot of pictures and YouTube videos and such, I was thinking it might be P. Cancerides too, so I've already read up on them a bit. She (assuming it is a female) fits the behavioral descriptions I've read pretty well. She eats like crazy. I wanted to see what kind of appetite she had, so I figured I would keep offering her crickets until she stopped pouncing on and devouring them. 18 smallish crickets later, I realized she wasn't going to stop, so I stopped before she burst. How long should I wait before before feeding her again?

I don't mind not being able to hold her. That was never really what I was interested in anyway. I feel like I'm kind of lucky to have gotten a close up, first hand demonstration at the pet store of what NOT to do. He treated her as though it were docile and predictable, and I saw how quickly things could go bad.

Also, since I made my first post, she has apparently been very busy moving all the dirt out from under her hide, to the point where she is now sitting on the bare bottom of the tank. Does that signify anything, other than that she needs more substrate?
I know my phormic likes to dig so I'm not surprised, I would add sub until to about to 3/4 of the tank if she really likes digging. Having a nice hole will make her feel more secure and less prone to freaking out if she has a safe place to go to.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hmm, I've been keeping one of mine on dry substrate for over a decade. I'll have to test this out to see if they prefer moist or dry.
I've kept mine on moist sub ever since I've had it, it seems pretty happy but it goes to show that they are pretty tough.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Not a MM. You can clearly see the palpal tarsi in some of the pics. probably cancerides. Not overly aggressive, but certainly on the lively side. Since roseas are notorious for their mood swings, often turning defensive after a certain molt, there's not much point in trading this in for a rosea. This is a much more interesting spider.

---------- Post added 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM ----------

It should be on moist substrate, not dry. Haiti's a wet place.

---------- Post added 03-30-2015 at 03:08 PM ----------

That's pointless, as a number of roseas are defensive, or become that way with age. Read some of the stories from owners here. At least cancerides eats, molts and grows on a regular basis. The OP came out ahead on this deal.
+1 you bought a far more interesting T than a rosie! I keep mine on the moist side,but always leave 1/2 the sub dry,and a full water bowl.She spends time on both sides,so I think she's happy. Good luck with it.

PRE66 6TART

Arachnopeon
I am happy with the way it turned out. Actually, I was only really getting the rosea because their supposed docile nature was one of the selling points I used to convince my wife, who is very arachnophobic, to agree to let me get one. But now that I already have this one she has accepted it, and seems to be getting more and more used to it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I am happy with the way it turned out. Actually, I was only really getting the rosea because their supposed docile nature was one of the selling points I used to convince my wife, who is very arachnophobic, to agree to let me get one. But now that I already have this one she has accepted it, and seems to be getting more and more used to it.
rosea have their own charm but I find them well, pet rocks, there are quite a few calm beginner friendly spiders to choose from. Phormics are just considered more intermediate as they can be feisty (as you've seen) but at least you didn't end up with an OW like a poor girl did last week.