couple of specific questions about Ceratogyrus.

gobey

Arachnoknight
This isn't regarding care. I've researched that pretty extensively.

I'm wondering more about differences specifically between the behavior of darlingi and marshalli.

I just received one of each. Really cool looking little Ts. They're only about 2~2.5"

The darlingi already dug a hole under it's cork hide.

Anyways. Do they have different tendencies? Is one more aggressive/defensive/skittish? I've heard marshalli will stridulate.

I can already see the baboon patterns on their abdomens. The marshalli is more of a feathery grey and the darlingi is a soft brown.

Is there any difference in coloration between males/females? Size?
I'm under the impression they're about 5" tarantulas at adult size.

I have them with decent substrate depth. I figure little juveniles should have the option to burrow... Even if it means I have pet holes.

Are yours visible?

Are marshalli or darlingi more apt than one or the other to be visible or a pet hole?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
This isn't regarding care. I've researched that pretty extensively.

I'm wondering more about differences specifically between the behavior of darlingi and marshalli.

I just received one of each. Really cool looking little Ts. They're only about 2~2.5"

The darlingi already dug a hole under it's cork hide.

Anyways. Do they have different tendencies? Is one more aggressive/defensive/skittish? I've heard marshalli will stridulate.

I can already see the baboon patterns on their abdomens. The marshalli is more of a feathery grey and the darlingi is a soft brown.

Is there any difference in coloration between males/females? Size?
I'm under the impression they're about 5" tarantulas at adult size.

I have them with decent substrate depth. I figure little juveniles should have the option to burrow... Even if it means I have pet holes.

Are yours visible?

Are marshalli or darlingi more apt than one or the other to be visible or a pet hole?
I've found them to be the same except one (marshalli) webs his cage up and the other (darlingi) burrows.

They get around 5" give or take an inch. Both of mine are usually visible; they don't get too scared of movement.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I've found them to be the same except one (marshalli) webs his cage up and the other (darlingi) burrows.

They get around 5" give or take an inch. Both of mine are usually visible. They don't get too scared of movement.
Cool... Mine are a bit skittish... Bit they're in new homes and small lol.

I'm excited to see how they act. :)

DVMT

Arachnosquire

They get around 5" give or take an inch. Both of mine are usually visible. They don't get too scared of movement.
My darlingi must think it's a marshalli then. Mine filled in his hide and webbed up the enclosure to that of a GBB or OBT. Always out on display, too. And as Arachnomaniac said, they don't spook very easily.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only own darlingi, but mine webs just as much as my OBT does. Mine is only about 2 inches now, and while not defensive so far, is certainly very very skittish and easy to startle.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I only own darlingi, but mine webs just as much as my OBT does. Mine is only about 2 inches now, and while not defensive so far, is certainly very very skittish and easy to startle.
Yeah mine pictured above is maybe a little over 2". 2.5" max.

If you're careful he stayed put... But some,vibration and he'd get right to hiding.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure they mellow out a bit as they get bigger. From what I've been told they can be somewhat defensive and will throw threat poses, but are not prone to bolting like certain other baboons.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm sure they mellow out a bit as they get bigger. From what I've been told they can be somewhat defensive and will throw threat poses, but are not prone to bolting like certain other baboons.
That's pretty much exactly what I've heard.

The marshalli immediately greated me with it's front legs when unpacking... Startled me a bit so it retreated right back into the vial.

I suppose it'll probably only get real defensive during rehousing.

The darlingi is in an enclosure that it could live in for the rest of his life.

I inspected the darlingi's burrow... Cool. It made a thin web under the hide and burrowed a little hole...

I want to turn the hide at a better angle so I can see his burrow better.

Do they need a hide?

I feel like ever spider needs a hide right?

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Individual behavior is, well, individual. There will always be some who didn't read the chapter on how their species is supposed to behave.
My marshalli female is always out in the open unless molting. She's sometimes a little skittish, but has never been particularly defensive.
Female darlingi is the poster child for pet holes. I saw her last week for the first time since August 2013. Both have been substantial webbers. Darlingi has a primary burrow with anterooms. Marshalli has a network of burrows.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I fooled myself. Darlingi didn't build a tunnel under the hide...

He's hiding in a clump of moss by the water dish on the opposite end of the enclosure.

It's cute

awiec

Arachnoprince
My subadult/adult female darlingi has given me a threat pose once in the year I've had her, she prefers to just hide in the corner instead of trying to confront me. Though it should be noted that males will not get horns like females, they will be very slight nubs instead. I bought my girl as subadult but she is a solid 4 inches and a few people I've talked to say that is adult breeding size but I won't know until I get a molt from her. Also mine has webbed extensively, puts avics and gbb to shame.

gobey

Arachnoknight
My subadult/adult female darlingi has given me a threat pose once in the year I've had her, she prefers to just hide in the corner instead of trying to confront me. Though it should be noted that males will not get horns like females, they will be very slight nubs instead. I bought my girl as subadult but she is a solid 4 inches and a few people I've talked to say that is adult breeding size but I won't know until I get a molt from her. Also mine has webbed extensively, puts avics and gbb to shame.
Well that's hopeful!!! This darlingi clearly at only this size has a horn pointing backward as it should be! Female would be great!

Is that also true for marshalli? I don't remember reading this anywhere. I'll dig my books out again.

My marshalli seems to only have a small nub. But it's also a smaller spider.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well that's hopeful!!! This darlingi clearly at only this size has a horn pointing backward as it should be! Female would be great!

Is that also true for marshalli? I don't remember reading this anywhere. I'll dig my books out again.

My marshalli seems to only have a small nub. But it's also a smaller spider.
Around 3 inches it will be very obvious, a few breeders have told me that sometimes males have a major atrophy of the horn when they get old enough; so a "female" looking spider ends up being a male. Though I think this is true for the members of the genus with horns (there are some that don't have them). Don't quote me on that though, it's been some time since I've read up on them.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Around 3 inches it will be very obvious, a few breeders have told me that sometimes males have a major atrophy of the horn when they get old enough; so a "female" looking spider ends up being a male. Though I think this is true for the members of the genus with horns (there are some that don't have them). Don't quote me on that though, it's been some time since I've read up on them.
Ok I'll give the little guy a while to try to grow his horn lol.

But the darlingi at only maybe a half inch bigger definitely has a more prominent horn than the marshalli. Which has a little nub.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm only experienced with marshalli and that has been fairly recent. My observations so far of my 3 marshalli slings have been that they have huge networks of burrows. All 3 were offered a hide with a starter burrow and only one actually uses it at all. The other two chose their own spots and set up shop. All of them have created web and dirt tunnels above the ground level and the main entrances that they use are at the top of the tunnels. I see all 3 often and haven't witnessed any defensive behaviors. They aren't even as skittish as I expected. Minor disturbances don't always send them running. I'm anxiously awaiting enough growth that their horns start to become obvious, though I clearly have a ways to go on that.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm only experienced with marshalli and that has been fairly recent. My observations so far of my 3 marshalli slings have been that they have huge networks of burrows. All 3 were offered a hide with a starter burrow and only one actually uses it at all. The other two chose their own spots and set up shop. All of them have created web and dirt tunnels above the ground level and the main entrances that they use are at the top of the tunnels. I see all 3 often and haven't witnessed any defensive behaviors. They aren't even as skittish as I expected. Minor disturbances don't always send them running. I'm anxiously awaiting enough growth that their horns start to become obvious, though I clearly have a ways to go on that.
How big are yours?

As I said mine is 2" and the horn is a little bump now.
I'll try to get a pic later.

He's not in the clearest container so I'll have to pop the lid... And hopefully he stays inside... And visible.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Here's the marshalli.

The horn is but a little bump.

Tarantula is approximately 2" long total.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Here's the marshalli.

The horn is but a little bump.

Tarantula is approximately 2" long total.
Mine aren't showing, at 1.5", I'm guessing I will start seeing the bump in the next molt or two.

I love the guacamole substrate...reminds me that I forgot to eat lunch.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Mine aren't showing, at 1.5", I'm guessing I will start seeing the bump in the next molt or two.

I love the guacamole substrate...reminds me that I forgot to eat lunch.
Hmmm.... So maybe it's too early for me to guess male because of the difference in horn size. Perhaps only a half inch difference is enough fpr decent horn growth.

We'll see how he looks when he's as big as the darlingi.