which one

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
So guys I need some advice, because of my interest in T's a buddy has now decided he would like to buy one of mine.
I have B.vagans and L. parahybana I am willing to part with at this time. (he wants a beginner T so no pokies.lol)

Which do you guys think would be a better choice for him? he works in a petstore but has never owned a T.

2.5" B.vagans or a 1" L.parahybana? and what do you guys think is a fair asking price? id just give the guy one but the ball and chain insists on charging a fair market value for them.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
So guys I need some advice, because of my interest in T's a buddy has now decided he would like to buy one of mine.
I have B.vagans and L. parahybana I am willing to part with at this time. (he wants a beginner T so no pokies.lol)

Which do you guys think would be a better choice for him? he works in a petstore but has never owned a T.

2.5" B.vagans or a 1" L.parahybana? and what do you guys think is a fair asking price? id just give the guy one but the ball and chain insists on charging a fair market value for them.
I greatly enjoy watching my now 2" LPs grow. They're pretty plain looking, but I don't see how your friend would not enjoy having one. LPs at 1" size are about $15 here in Canada. 2.5" B. vagans are $45 here.

Not too sure which are better 'starter' tarantulas, but I don't think the LP would be a bad choice from that perspective.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'd say the vagans since it's larger. If it's his first T, chances are he won't want something that's super small.

Last edited:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I'd keep the vagans, personally. The LP will grow much faster and within a year - year and a half will be bigger than the vagans. LP's are typically better eaters IMO. For the LP, I'd charge about $20 tops if I were going to ask something for it. Give em the enclosure too.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I have both of those Ts My little vagans are skittish and fast so is my Lp but the vagans seem not to relax as easily.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I'd say the vagans since it's larger. If it's his first T, chances are he won't want something that's super small.
I like the smaller T's personally. My first Ts were slings. I prefer watching them grow from babies but i suppose everyone has their own opinions. Ironically enough my first Ts were 1/2 inch b. Vagans which are now 1.5" each. I still enjoy watching them grow and each molt leaves me giddy like a school boy haha.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
When my LPs hit 1 inch or so, they were pretty easily cared for. They could take down small crickets or, if I had none available, would obviously be eating a chopped-in-half cricket. And they sure won't be only 1 inch in size for very long. But yeah, they still looked a lot like a garden spider at that size.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I disagree. Not all new people to the hobby are put off by s'lings and looking for the instant reward of obtaining a large spider.

Were this my choice between the two as an introductory spider to the hobby, I would pick the L. parahybana. I like the sounds of their temperament better.

gobey

Arachnoknight
LPs are awesome.

If you get used to them from slings... Then you'll probably be fine with their temperament. Mine were skittish. They have speed too. And,tremendous feeding response. So they're bitey. But they'd run when they realized I wasn't a cricket.

If your buddy wants a big Brachypelma... Albopilosums are cheap and available.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
yes but I am unwilling to part with either of my curly hairs, or chaco's, or pulchras, or smithis, or dwarf chile flames.

and he's not looking to have any shipped. he wants one of mine and since I have no intentions of breeding either the Vagans or LP's those are only slings im willing to let go. other than about 11 of my wifes 19 pokies. lol but I don't think that is what hes looking for.

gobey

Arachnoknight
yes but I am unwilling to part with either of my curly hairs, or chaco's, or pulchras, or smithis, or dwarf chile flames.

and he's not looking to have any shipped. he wants one of mine and since I have no intentions of breeding either the Vagans or LP's those are only slings im willing to let go. other than about 11 of my wifes 19 pokies. lol but I don't think that is what hes looking for.
My point is if he takes the LP and wants something bigger like a Brachypelma one day... There's lots of others on the market between vagans, albos, sabulosoms...

cold blood

Staff member
My point is if he takes the LP and wants something bigger like a Brachypelma one day... There's lots of others on the market between vagans, albos, sabulosoms...
There's more LP's on the market at any given time than any of those...lol. Lp's are an easy cheap buy...even easier to find than the common vagans and albo....must me something about those huge sacs and the fact that they are pretty commonly bred.

I prefer the black look of vagans and find the LP to be one of the more boring. Plus that vagans is at that point in life where its eating and growing at a pretty decent rate...and it won't end up wih a size that could be off putting to your friend....maybe not, but I personally wouldn't have wanted my first to get that big or grow that fast...as a beginner I wouldn't want to be re-housing every couple molts.

My 2" vagans is every bit the good eater that my 3" LD is, and its actually molting a touch faster as well, but that will certainly change as the brachy grows and the LD keeps on growing quick.

I just like vagans more, but ultimately, I'd just keep whichever of the two that you enjoy most, your friend will likely be happy with either...I'd just have him throw me a 20 at most, and I'd give him the enclosure, too....actually I probably wouldn't charge, but my dog cant yell at me for giving a gift like a wife can:wink:

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 08:57 PM ----------

LPs that size are Always going to molt soon :)
Lol, my first thought exactly when I read that comment...hehe.

awiec

Arachnoprince
depends on your friend, B.vegans is a more calmer choice but the lp can be confrontational but will be a much faster grower. I would say the vegans is the better spider but if you get rid of the LP you can get another one for like 10 dollars.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
ive got three of them and too be honest they are not growing all that fast. 1/4 - 1" in almost 6 months. now the vagans have tripled in size during that time.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:13 PM ----------

lol also the one I offered him are the slow growers of each species. oh and my B.vagans #1 (I don't name mine) eats so dang well the grand kids call her cookie monster.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
Considering that Brachypelma is one of the go-to genera for beginners (one could make the case that they're preferable even to Grammastola...), I see no contest here.

LPs are manageable, but they have a propensity for being skittish and temperamental so I wouldn't necessarily choose that over a BV for a beginner...

I don't know how much a BV goes for but I got my LP sling for $10 at a LPS.