DKS suffering P. regalis attempts molt

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
Hello folks

I'm in need of some rather urgent advice! My 3" P. regalis, which has suffered from DKS type symptoms for around 4 months, just decided to flip for a molt (I believe). I am extremely concerned as to whether it will make it through the molt, and need advice as to a plan of action if the molt does't seem to be progressing well (I am aware that euthanasia may be required). It hasnt lay a web bed underneath itself, and it's legs have been curled for atleast 3 hours!

Before i get flamed for this post, I believe that the source of the illness was identified months ago, and i have taken steps to eliminate this. All my other T's have been fine since, and this is my only case to date. At this point i just want to do what's best for the little guy!

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just leave it alone for now. 3hrs is ok.

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
Sorry, symptoms include loss of motor control and spastic leg movements. I mentioned DKS as I thought people would be able to infer the problems from the term, due to it being thrown about so much.

I do know that it's a generalised term for similar symptoms of an unknown cause.

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 09:00 PM ----------

Just leave it alone for now. 3hrs is ok.
I will do, I'm just sort of wondering at what point I should become worried. Thanks for the reply!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sorry, symptoms include loss of motor control and spastic leg movements. I mentioned DKS as I thought people would be able to infer the problems from the term, due to it being thrown about so much.

I do know that it's a generalised term for similar symptoms of an unknown cause.
As stated, there's no such thing as DKS. You spider is suffering for something specific: exposure to chemicals, fumes, sprays, smoke, lotions on your hands, temp extremes, contaminated substrate, contaminated food, etc. You need to figure out what happened to it and prevent that from occurring again. Blaming DKS is a lame habit that's circulating in the hobby.

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
I'm not blaming 'DKS'. I believe the behaviour is due to pesticide contaminated prey food, which I fully accept as my responsibility. Like I said, I believe to have found the root cause months ago, which i have eliminated and no repeat cases in any other T's.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wait until tomorrow. If it hasn't moved or made any progress at that size, I'm only guessing, it probably won't. The general rule of thumb is to not throw them out till they start to smell. I can't tell you when to choose to euthanize but 24hrs is a long time for a juvie. Somebody else may experience to the contrary. Good luck.

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
Yes I will definitely wait at least 24 hours, it's such a hard decision as I wouldn't want it to be stuck inside its old exo for a long period of time. Thank you!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, no symptoms like you described preceded it, but my P cambri took 20 hours last molt. And she (not he, I think - hope) is fine.
But mine took longer than usual to pull out of molt, and I was fairly prepared that I had lost my T.

I agree with others -- leave it alone (assuming good husbandry practices are already present) and have a little hope.
I'll hope with you!

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
Wow, 20 hours is a long time, glad that your T pulled through!

The T is being kept fine, temperature is sitting around 80 and humidity has been raised a bit, hopefully this helps! Thanks for the much needed hope, I will keep my fingers crossed.