One of my dogs passed today...

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Her name was Betty Lou. She was an English mastiff we adopted 4.5 years ago when she was between 3-4 years old (the previous owners couldn't figure a definite age for her despite allegedly "buying her from a breeder", further demonstrating the the incapacity to keep her). Well, last night she collapsed in the middle of the hallway, and struggled to get to the master bedroom where she took most comfort in resting. What resulted in the middle of the night was her expelling a puddle of blood- she must've held it in for so long. Earlier today, we got ahold of a mobile veterinary clinic that operated locally, and they determined she be put down. Right after she left us, she expelled one last puddle of bloody urine- I suspect some kind of cancer but who can know for sure. It hurt me a lot knowing that in as much pain and discomfort as she was in, she tried her hardest not to relieve herself in the house- at that point I wouldn't have cared... The worst part is that I never got to say goodbye to her- I'm stuck 5 hours away from home in a college dorm and was supposed to come back home next weekend for the holidays. I guess there will be one less dog in the house when I return.

She wasn't perfect in the eyes of most people, and I'll admit I didn't think so either when we first adopted her, but her little quirks and physical "deformities" grew on me (and us) after having her for a while. She was most likely one of the breeder rejects if someone were to go by breed standards for this particular dog breed, possibly due to inbreeding. She had a tendency to get a lot of snaggle-teeth due to a prominent underbite, a far more pointed snout for a dog of her breed (which meant smaller jowls), relatively dainty and small feet which somewhat struggled to support her body weight as she grew older, an obvious lazy eye, relatively small ears for her size, and possession aggression (food included). Nonetheless, I still loved her and thought it was adorable when she got angry from going near her bone or toy. Eventually she acclimated to us more and was more tolerant of play, however.

This isn't my first dog that I lost (and definitely not my first pet) and won't be my last. We still have an Anatolian shepherd-mastiff mix who hopefully still has some years left on him. I just figured this would be one way for me to let out my feelings about this unfortunate incident, considering I don't really have a circle of people I can actually do so with in this college.

248674_202598049783250_2128915_n.jpg

Spam010

Arachnosquire
I'm so sorry for your loss. I too had an English Mastiff that I had to put down. Its not an easy decision. I hope her memories soothes your heartache.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I'm so sorry for your loss. I too had an English Mastiff that I had to put down. Its not an easy decision. I hope her memories soothes your heartache.
We had another one prior to the two we have (had, rather) now, named Bruno. He was such an amazing dog- would be so tolerant of many things, even wanting to greet strangers on the street, then bloat crept up on him and while we managed to get him to the ER in time, the anesthesia killed him as it appears to prove highly intolerable for many molosser breeds.... We lose dogs in such unpredictable ways, it seems. I hope the mix we still have continues to live a good life.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I wish we could have put her down before the worst of the suffering kicked in. It just breaks me so much that she still tried as hard as she could to stick to her obedience training even in her death throes. I really wish she wouldn't have, just to make it less strenuous on her behalf...

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dog a year ago and I'm still mourning for her.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dog a year ago and I'm still mourning for her.
I mourn all of my pets who've passed. They are like immediate family members to me with no bad conscience. Dogs, rats, ferrets, parakeets. I miss them all so much.

Last edited:

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I am so sorry. What a beautiful dog! Our English Springer Spaniel has cancer and has exceeded the 6 months the vet gave him to live. Every day is a gift. I've lost other dogs and they all hold special places in my heart. Yours will, too. [emoji22]

cold blood

Staff member
My heart goes out to you. I've found that losing dogs, especially having to make the decision to put them down, have been some of the most devastating things I've gone through. Dogs are guaranteed to break your heart, but having them is a big part of exactly what makes life so damn special.

He was a good lookin' pooch. Lots of good days to remember with a smile:)

Ripa

Arachnobaron
My heart goes out to you. I've found that losing dogs, especially having to make the decision to put them down, have been some of the most devastating things I've gone through. Dogs are guaranteed to break your heart, but having them is a big part of exactly what makes life so damn special.

I think it's innate for many humans to appreciate the gifts that dogs offer. They are "man's best friend" after all for a reason (and the first animal we've ever domesticated). The longest I've ever went without a dog my whole life was 6 months, and I was depressed every moment of it.

Even these days, despite still having my dogs (or dog, now), I still feel displaced, living in my college dorm, 5 hours away from home. I still visit home on a monthly basis, but it doesn't feel the same.

horanjp

Arachnosquire

+1
My aunt told me once
'They don't live long so you can love a lot of them.' Best words I've ever heard when mourning a pet.

I assist with putting animals to sleep most every day- a downer reality for those of us in the veterinary field. If you are young and able, you should adopt another friend as soon as your heart heals. Dogs make life worth living on the worst of days. You're the most important person in their life and they love you no matter how many times you fuck up.....some people search their whole life for someone to need and accept them. I couldn't live without them. Quality of life improved x1,000,000.

cold blood

Staff member
I think it's innate for many humans to appreciate the gifts that dogs offer. They are "man's best friend" after all for a reason (and the first animal we've ever domesticated). The longest I've ever went without a dog my whole life was 6 months, and I was depressed every moment of it.
After the passing of my last dog I was a wreck, and took some family's advice and waited to get another...I typically get another pretty quickly. Well like a moron, I listened and waited 10 whole months. I can relate, it was literally the most depressing 10 months I can recall in my life....that time off from dogs nearly broke me as I realized for the first time on my life just what depression really was. I'll never wait like that again...a new dog is just a part of the healing process, and a vital part IMO. My current dog saved me as much as I saved her (she was rescued from a very neglectful household and was actually feral when I got her).

Did you know that man didn't actually actively domesticate the dog? Its the only animal known to EVER choose domestication. They came to us first, quickly man recognized the benefits of having them around...the rest is history.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
After the passing of my last dog I was a wreck, and took some family's advice and waited to get another...I typically get another pretty quickly. Well like a moron, I listened and waited 10 whole months. I can relate, it was literally the most depressing 10 months I can recall in my life....that time off from dogs nearly broke me as I realized for the first time on my life just what depression really was. I'll never wait like that again...a new dog is just a part of the healing process, and a vital part IMO. My current dog saved me as much as I saved her (she was rescued from a very neglectful household and was actually feral when I got her).

Did you know that man didn't actually actively domesticate the dog? Its the only animal known to EVER choose domestication. They came to us first, quickly man recognized the benefits of having them around...the rest is history.
Indeed- allowing the "healing process" to span too long makes it more damaging than anything else- I remember when my other dog died prior to me having the two (or one). I was an antisocial wreck.

Dogs are pretty amazing animals, and I don't mean it in the emotional respect, either. I seriously believe the bond they have with humans compared to other domesticated animals is truly unique. Strong evidence between our bonds can be traced back to at least 15,000 years ago, with residual amounts of possible indications of human-dog collaborations spanning as far back as 40,000 years ago.

cold blood

Staff member
I seriously believe the bond they have with humans compared to other domesticated animals is truly unique.
Unique indeed. But the thing is that the more you put in, the more you get out. When you spend a lot of time and effort, what you can get out it simply amazing. I always want that and I genuinely feel bad for those that just don't understand that or have never experienced it....not everyone does.:(

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Unique indeed. But the thing is that the more you put in, the more you get out. When you spend a lot of time and effort, what you can get out it simply amazing. I always want that and I genuinely feel bad for those that just don't understand that or have never experienced it....not everyone does.:(
Indeed. A lot of my friends have not experienced that kind of bond- I wish they could, because it's truly rewarding

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Im so sorry. Ive never owned a dog but my girlfriends dog had to be put down a few months ago amd it was incredibly hard on her and even me. Its so easy to love a dog, even when theyre not perfect, theyre still a part of your family.