Husband bought me an avic avic..

Emilyclaire

Arachnopeon
My husband surprised me today with an avic avic that he bought from Petsmart. It looks like they used wood chips for substrate. When should I rehouse the little guy? Will it be ok in this enclosure for another 4 days? Btw this is my first aboreal species... I've done some research and bought an appropriate enclosure but I have to wait on the shipping. :o_O: thanks for any input on this guys. 20150329_140332.jpg

gobey

Arachnoknight
My husband surprised me today with an avic avic that he bought from Petsmart. It looks like they used wood chips for substrate. When should I rehouse the little guy? Will it be ok in this enclosure for another 4 days? Btw this is my first aboreal species... I've done some research and bought an appropriate enclosure but I have to wait on the shipping. :o_O: thanks for any input on this guys. View attachment 135501
Immediately if you have a proper enclosure.

Edit I didn't see you are waiting on your enclosure.

He may be fine as he'll stay near the top. You could always just change the substrate though. Or make a makeshift enclosure for him in the meantime put of something tall and plastic. Use plenty of ventilation on the side and top. Moreso on the side than top.

Experts weigh in?

cold blood

Staff member
Go out quick and get a 32oz. deli cup. Use a pin or something, everyone has their methods, and ventilate it on the sides....a couple rows around the top half and a couple holes a little lower, put in a piece of bark leaned and a fake plant...add a small water dish and it will be fine. You can re-house either when it stops eating and shows signs of pre-molt or just wait till it molts and move it then.

Its still pretty small, it looks like maybe 2", but I'm speculating. I keep mine in those delis until they get to like 3.5" or a little larger even. A. avic aren't always the best eaters and having it in a smaller enclosure for now should make it easier to find food...I'd avoid a larger enclosure until its an adult.

If you just want to keep it where it is, add plants and a piece of bark leaned against the side for it to climb on, and add a water dish if you haven't already. Those kk's aren't really a good place for Avic sp. It would probably be better set on its side and set up that way.

Can you post pics (or a link) of the enclosure you have on the way?

Emilyclaire

Arachnopeon
I think I'm going to change the substrate out while I'm waiting to get the new enclosure. Here's a pic of enclosure I bought... Got it from Jamie's tarantulas. cage32.jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I think I'm going to change the substrate out while I'm waiting to get the new enclosure. Here's a pic of enclosure I bought... Got it from Jamie's tarantulas.
I don't like the lack of cross ventilation in that set up. Also -- is it the juvie enclosure? Looks small -- like you will be rehousing much sooner than later.
Don't see a water bowl either.
Cold Blood makes a good point re: 32 ounce deli cup -- about the same amount of space but you can ensure better ventilation.
Sorry, I re-read and this sounds so negative. Just want your avic to have the best chance of survival and to thrive.
Good luck.

cold blood

Staff member
I recall there was more than one person who had issues in those enclosures. If you can drill vent holes opposite the venting that's there it would be much better. They are pretty nice looking enclosures.

Emilyclaire

Arachnopeon
I watched a video on the enclosure.. It said it is for juveniles up to 4in. The spider he got me is about 2- 2.5 in. It also comes with a water dish. Hopefully it works out. Thanks for advice.. I wish pet stores weren't so negligent with tarantulas!

---------- Post added 03-29-2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

I'll def try to drill some vent holes for better ventilation! Thank you that's a great idea ;-)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I watched a video on the enclosure.. It said it is for juveniles up to 4in. The spider he got me is about 2- 2.5 in. It also comes with a water dish. Hopefully it works out. Thanks for advice.. I wish pet stores weren't so negligent with tarantulas!

---------- Post added 03-29-2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

I'll def try to drill some vent holes for better ventilation! Thank you that's a great idea ;-)
Jamies cages are better suited for terrestrials, some of the more hardy aboreals won't mind but an avic needs more cross ventilation. You don't need to go crazy with the holes but just enough for some air to get around; people have killed their avics by having too many holes too.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have one her juvie terrestrial enclosures -- which had a lot of height, imo, for a terrestrial.
My issue was getting the lid off.
I appreciate a tight fitting lid (esp since I had an OBT in mine) but it was easier to open a can of paint with a butter knife than to get that lid off.
Hopefully the arboreal enclosure won't be that tight a fit.

Emilyclaire

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input guys :). I'm going to see if that enclosure will work, if not I was thinking about getting an exo terra one.. Has anyone had any luck with these? 7276.jpg .... And here is a picture of what I had to improvise until the new one comes in. 20150330_201605.jpg .. I don't know why the picture is sideways but you get the idea :) it's only a small piece of cork bark but the pet shop by my house is out of stock right now which is frustrating. I misted the enclosure pretty good before transferring it back in. 20150330_204052.jpg

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
do exoterras have screen top lids? If so I would not recommend it, all of your moisture will go out but you can cover the screen with plastic as long as you got some good cross ventilation going. There are some very nice acrylic cages custom made for aboreals but I use large rubbermaid containers, I can put the holes where ever I want, they lock well and they are cheap.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
do exoterras have screen top lids? If so I would not recommend it, all of your moisture will go out but you can cover the screen with plastic as long as you got some good cross ventilation going. There are some very nice acrylic cages custom made for aboreals but I use large rubbermaid containers, I can put the holes where ever I want, they lock well and they are cheap.
+1
Yes, a screened top.
These enclosures are currently being discussed right now in the http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?273325-A.metallica thread, as a possible cause of death for that avic due to the ventilation issue (although nothing proven, could be many factors at play).

Ideas were suggested to make this enclosure more suitable for avics.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was actually considering buying a few of Jamie's arboreal enclosures for some Avics. Are there any arboreal enclosures out there that are better suited for these guys, but are just as aesthetically pleasing?

awiec

Arachnoprince
I was actually considering buying a few of Jamie's arboreal enclosures for some Avics. Are there any arboreal enclosures out there that are better suited for these guys, but are just as aesthetically pleasing?
I can't remember the site but there is a guy who makes custom acrylic enclosures but I think the general consensus is that you might as well make it yourself.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can't remember the site but there is a guy who makes custom acrylic enclosures but I think the general consensus is that you might as well make it yourself.
Agreed. Jamie's adult (NOT JUVIE) enclosures offer a bit more ventilation but not enough, and is missing vent holes in some places I would want them (esp for avics). To pay her prices and then have to re-do so much....
Well, I love the idea of making one's own enclosures. Seems like there was a thread on this in the Vivariums and Terrariums forum in last few months of so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not in my opinion. acrylic AMAC boxes for small Ts seem to be the best. They work for me and CEC.

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 01:24 PM ----------

I have one her juvie terrestrial enclosures -- which had a lot of height, imo, for a terrestrial.
My issue was getting the lid off.
I appreciate a tight fitting lid (esp since I had an OBT in mine) but it was easier to open a can of paint with a butter knife than to get that lid off.
Hopefully the arboreal enclosure won't be that tight a fit.

That tight fit is not Jamie's fault, that is the fault of the manufacturer due to tolerances. The container could be in spec, but just barely, or just barely out of spec, and thus be tight. The only way you can blame vendor is if you expect them to check the containers before sale. If so, the customer should ask and not assume. I say this because I have a few from her, and one of mine was very tight, the rest were not.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an A.amazonica though, which is a pretty large species of Avic.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
That tight fit is not Jamie's fault, that is the fault of the manufacturer due to tolerances. The container could be in spec, but just barely, or just barely out of spec, and thus be tight. The only way you can blame vendor is if you expect them to check the containers before sale. If so, the customer should ask and not assume. I say this because I have a few from her, and one of mine was very tight, the rest were not.
I really did like the look but never purchased another due to the too tight fitting lid. Since she also sells the vents, hinges, and latches, I always assumed they made and tested them themselves.

Ellen <---learns something new everyday