Bugs as pets.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
I normally collect observe and let them go. But where does everyone get their insects as pets? Do you guys collect and keep or is there an online store that specializes in keeping insects as pets?

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kinds of bugs are you talking about?

There are online dealers that sell different kinds of roaches, spiders, tarantulas, scorpions, mantids, pill bugs, etc.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
Mainly looking for Mantids, beetles, stick insects, water bugs etc.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Check out Peter at bugsincyberspace.com

I have gotten dozens of bugs and spiders from him. Great dealer.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
I've bought from him once before, the service was great. I was just wondering if there was any other sellers that specialize in the same kinds of insects. If not i'll probably stick with that place.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Peter has the best variety of things and he doesn't really specialize in any groups (though he really likes beetles). Everything on your list you can get from him, except for the stick insects. You can get native sticks in the US, but getting any of the fancy foreign ones is illegal.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
Yeah i figured others would be illegal. I guess i gotta wait till more insects come into season then. Thanks guys.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, it looks like with the weather coming into Illinois we may be able to get out and collect a little bit :) It's been plenty warm down south as well, so I'm sure Peter will be getting some good stuff soon.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
Well, it looks like with the weather coming into Illinois we may be able to get out and collect a little bit :) It's been plenty warm down south as well,
so I'm sure Peter will be getting some good stuff soon.
Yeah i just caught a few bugs outside today, glad the weather is a lot better.

@Shrike , i consulted with the oracle many times, unfortunately many dealers only specialize in varieties that aren't able to be shipped here.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
At this time of year, ride a bike or motorcycle along the rice field roads at dusk while holding out a butterfly net. Accomplishment can be measured in pounds of bugs per hour.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
At this time of year, ride a bike or motorcycle along the rice field roads at dusk while holding out a butterfly net. Accomplishment can be measured in pounds of bugs per hour.
Definitely getting to be that time again :) I do the same in the fall, except it's fields of honeysuckle. Best way to get mantids, though you may lose a net if you aren't careful.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah i just caught a few bugs outside today, glad the weather is a lot better.

@Shrike , i consulted with the oracle many times, unfortunately many dealers only specialize in varieties that aren't able to be shipped here.
What varieties are those? As a native of IL I'm curious.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
What varieties are those? As a native of IL I'm curious.
As far as beetles go, the rhinoceros beetles i would love to have aren't legal as far as i know. Mantids i can get with no problem. Some species of butterflies i wanted to raise cant be shipped here like spicebush swallowtails, pipevine swallowtails and a few others. Which i think its odd considering I've seen these species here.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can actually find Dynastes tityus in Illinois if you're super lucky, but I'm betting you're looking to get the much larger Dynastes species. There are a bunch of smaller scarab species you can find though fairly easily.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
Really? I thought they were more of an eastern species. As far as the other scarabs where do you find them? Is it southern Illinois? The prairies and other wooded areas are all protected over here so i usually have to go out of my way somewhere to go collecting.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Illinois is about as far west as they go, and there's a huge amount of luck that goes into finding any of them. I haven't been that lucky yet, but I"m hoping someday I will be. You can get some nice species across the state (sometimes you have to sneak a little around though to look for what you want). One of my favorites I think is Osmoderma erimicola. Good size and they look pretty nice too. You can also find Cotinis nitida during the summer. I catch a bunch of those in central Illinois every year. I've heard that you can find Phileurus in Illinois as well, but I haven't found any.

jo1718

Arachnopeon
I would like to find some of those as well. There's hardly any up here. I'm a little bit outside Chicago so there's not that much in a way of anything. Gonna have to travel in the summer to see what i can find..