Mites!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I've never had mites before but today my husband pointed out a tiny little crawling white thing on the glass and I'm sure it must be a mite... I don't know what is best to do. My spiders are all near each other and I swear I saw another lone mite in an adjacent tank. Please help me figure out what to do before my whole collection becomes swarmed!!!

---------- Post added 03-31-2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

They are clearish white in color and closely resemble lice. Should I rehouse everyone ASAP? Quarantine them all? Or is there a less invasive method?

Hanska

Arachnobaron
No need to panic if they're no swarming. A few mites in enclusures is normal.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So I've never had mites before but today my husband pointed out a tiny little crawling white thing on the glass and I'm sure it must be a mite... I don't know what is best to do. My spiders are all near each other and I swear I saw another lone mite in an adjacent tank. Please help me figure out what to do before my whole collection becomes swarmed!!!

---------- Post added 03-31-2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

They are clearish white in color and closely resemble lice. Should I rehouse everyone ASAP? Quarantine them all? Or is there a less invasive method?
Depends on what you have. Are they on the T -- near the fangs? Or just loose in enclosure, possible on moist soil or near spilled water dish?
I would ID them before panicking. Could be beneficials living on molds/fungus (which doesn't speak well of husbandry) but sure beats nemotodes. Google springtails first - they won't harm Ts. Could they be newly hatched crix? Or mini-maggots?
Pix would help. Location on T or in tank would help.
Not every small living thing is horrible, even if not desired in tank.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well they are too small to get a picture of which is why I described them as lice like... They are the size and color of a live lice egg. They are on the glass of the enclosure on the sides. I don't think that their newly hatched crickets because he has not eaten in a while because he just molted a week ago. he's a gbb so I am hoping it is just due to some kind of bolus I was unable to get at as a result of all the webbing. They look too small to be springtails. But I have never had those either... What is the best form of action against these intruders?

--J.Haas

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If they aren't on the T -- a dryer enclosure would probably fix it. But then, I don't know what T you have -- a dry enclosure might kill your T.
If it is a moisture dependent genera/species -- then varying where you dampen substrate might help -- allow a damp area to dry thoroughly and keep changing where you dampen.
If it is a desert species -- drying out tank alone might fix it (you could remove worst damp areas and replace with dry).

Too many variables.
1) Don't know your T (moisture or dryness needs)
2) Don't know what "mites" you have

Just saying not to panic until an expert here says "Yeah -- PANIC!"

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Well they are too small to get a picture of which is why I described them as lice like... They are the size and color of a live lice egg. They are on the glass of the enclosure on the sides. I don't think that their newly hatched crickets because he has not eaten in a while because he just molted a week ago. he's a gbb so I am hoping it is just due to some kind of bolus I was unable to get at as a result of all the webbing. They look too small to be springtails. But I have never had those either... What is the best form of action against these intruders?

--J.Haas
Dry the enclosure out. Bone dry and you can even remove the water dish for a while. A GBB should handle that, mites won't.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wonderful!! So I can switch the substrate and everything and just leave it dry? What is the likelihood they will spread?

--J.Haas

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For GBB, and no mites on actual GBB -- then yes, exchange for dry substrate -- they love it dry anyway.
In fact, the presence of any moisture-dependent "mite/springtails" could indicate it was too moist in there anyway.
(Sorry I missed T ID)

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw one or two on the outside of a few other cages after diligently screening the near by tanks for 20 mins should I completely overhaul their tanks as well? They are a chslcodes and b boehmei

--J.Haas

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Edit: This is why I prefer the dryer kept species. So much easier, imo, to avoid little nasties. Even an overlooked bolus might simply dessicate instead of fouling up whole tank.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Step 1 - stay calm

Step 2 - use fan in the room for air movement

Step 3 - keep substrate drier and remove boluses promptly

Step 4 - increase cage ventilation

Step 5 - keep in mind mite populations normally stay low

I live in a humid state and keep my spiders warm. Most are tropical with some moisture in the substrate. I don't have problem with mites, a few here and there is no big deal. You shouldn't have a problem either.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's comforting thanks all... I've already removed my gbb from its enclosure and plan to rehouse him today. I will make sure it is as dry as can be this next time around... So mites aren't really a threat unless they become a swarm? Do I have to worry about them spreading?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A complete overhaul is unnecessary and basically useless. If only a few eggs are left in the tank or decorations, they mites will be back. I had dealt with this in my scorpion tank once because a petsitter never cleaned out the bolases and they ended up rotting. Mites had infested it so bad that the scorpion wouldn't even stop moving, he was constantly pacing. I tried my best, did a whole overhaul of the tank and tossed out everything related to the scorpion, but the few eggs left in the tank hatched and the mites were back. Luckily they never exploded in to as big of numbers as before, but I made sure to avoid as much cross contamination as possible. Now that the tank is no more and the scorpion is long dead (old age), I do not see any mites in any enclosures.
Quarantine with new animals, avoiding cross contamination, and good maintenance will prevent any other mite outbreaks.
Try and get some isopods or spring tails if you have a bunch of humid tanks. They are detritovores and will eat the bolus before the mites can get to it. I'm planning on getting a few myself once my P. Irminia slings get bigger. Then I have more surface area to cover and the littler bugs won't be eaten by the spider.

---------- Post added 03-31-2015 at 08:51 AM ----------

So mites aren't really a threat unless they become a swarm? Do I have to worry about them spreading?
yes, and yes. They are nearly harmless in small numbers and won't parasitize your spider unless they are in huge numbers, and you do have to watch for spreading. Like I said, don't mix tools and wash them/ yourself thoroughly.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Then that leads me to where I can get some of these little helpers? Do they sell them at exotic pet shops or online anywhere?

los3r

Arachnosquire
Bugs in cyberspace sells them. Josh's frogs too but they were out of stock last i checked.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there a specific kind I should look into? I know nothing about this like zilch

--J.Haas

los3r

Arachnosquire
You're welcome! Although I think the dwarf whites are better suited for a tropical viv.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Quarantine with new animals... will prevent any other mite outbreaks.
What about mites coming in on feeders? How do you quarantine them? You're going to have mites introduced. The best solution is to have cage conditions that they don't thrive in.

Last edited: