Isiopods and tarantulas

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I keep isopods in all my scorpion habitats as cleanup crews. Has anybody used isopods in with their tarantulas? If so how did it work out. Thanx for any imput. ron

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I would worry that they might stress the spider out by constantly walking on it. I don't know if that's actually a concern, but it'd worry me anyway.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I would worry that they might stress the spider out by constantly walking on it. I don't know if that's actually a concern, but it'd worry me anyway.
I have only seen this once as I have used isopods many times as clean up crews. It happened with my Thailand Black (Haplopelma albostriatus) of all things! They must have invaded her burrow and she freaked. She stayed huddled up in a corner of the tank for days until I removed them and put in a new hide over her burrow hole. Next day she was back in the hole. I eventually removed the hide above it as well. Doing great. Now, I generally remove the isopods after awhile. Probably unnecessary but playing it safe.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
You can use the ones outside if they aren't exposed to dangerous chemicals, or you can order some online.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Or, if you don't want a bunch of them running around in your enclosure, you can use just one.... (public domain photo from wiki-commons)

cold blood

Staff member
That shouldn't even be a thought. I use them often in some of my damper enclosures, I really don't think they help much as my t's ALWAYS eat them. I don't think I've had one make it more than a few days.

Tim, that one's too big to put in with Geronimo.:wink:

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Or, if you don't want a bunch of them running around in your enclosure, you can use just one.... (public domain photo from wiki-commons)

I have a plush B giganteus! My husband got it for me for Christmas, and I literally sleep with it every night. He had to order it all the way from Japan!