Dubia Roach Question?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're not nuts or oysters, bud...just toss them in! ;)

You may want to crush the heads first, as they tend to burrow, but the shells stay on and are removed as part of the bolus after they eat.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I've heard that you can roll them between your palms and the shell comes off.. or is that garlic... ;)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I've heard that you can roll them between your palms and the shell comes off.. or is that garlic... ;)

(**singing**) ... Ooooooooo I'm bringin' home my little roach baby; won't my darlingi be so proud of me?
I'm bringin' home my little roach baby; oh! Ee! He's crawlin' on me!
I'm peeling up my little roach baby; won't my darlingi be so proud of me?
I'm peeling up my little roach baby; oo! Ee! He's all over me!

**moral of the story, peeled roaches are messy**

:eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O::eek::o_O:

soulreaver

Arachnopeon
I meant is there an easy way to remove the molts out of the feeder bin

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They usually eat the old exo helps give them some nutrients back leave them

soulreaver

Arachnopeon
No just wanted it cleaner

---------- Post added 06-14-2015 at 05:53 PM ----------

And I have been doing this awhIle and just wanted to see if there was a easy way to get the sheddings oit of the bin

---------- Post added 06-14-2015 at 05:57 PM ----------

I usually leave,them in there but it drives me nuts to see the mess in there

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
as said dont need to remove molts, only thing i have to remove is uneaten food *HA! AS IF THATS A REAL THING ANYMORE!* and old roaches who die [had my colony about 2yrs now so some of old girls are dieing off] if you dont like seeing the exos go get something to cover up the bin so you dont hafta see it ;P or upgrade to a larger black or solid color bin thats not opaque lol

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
The banbies live off the molts and other frass for a while. A slightly dirty colony is a healthy colony.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The banbies live off the molts and other grass for a while. A slightly dirty colony is a healthy colony.
you mean live with not off right? their frass isnt wet and as far as i know its nothing like a koala which needs the acids from the feces to start up its own immune system... but i have noticed i have to take all the frass when i rehome them soon because theres just simply no sorting them XD

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
you mean live with not off right? their frass isnt wet and as far as i know its nothing like a koala which needs the acids from the feces to start up its own immune system... but i have noticed i have to take all the frass when i rehome them soon because theres just simply no sorting them XD
I've read several places that the babies actually eat the feces of the adults, although all of my sources end with ".com", so take that with a grain of salt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I've read several places that the babies actually eat the feces of the adults, although all of my sources end with ".com", so take that with a grain of salt.
true true.. just seems like iv sifted through all kindsa frass and its not moist and its so small itd try out [unless kept super humid] and have no real purpose for them as aposed to veg which i always find newborns on and in my leafy greens

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Why does it matter if it's not wet? I primarily feed mine ground up dry food (a mix of chick feed, dog food, and sugary cereal), and I have to fill the dish about once per week. They're clearly eating very dry food, they just also need to be provided water int he form of water crystals.

But I hear what you're saying. It definitely seems like the babies swarm the veggies/fruits whenever presented with them.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Why does it matter if it's not wet? I primarily feed mine ground up dry food (a mix of chick feed, dog food, and sugary cereal), and I have to fill the dish about once per week. They're clearly eating very dry food, they just also need to be provided water int he form of water crystals.

But I hear what you're saying. It definitely seems like the babies swarm the veggies/fruits whenever presented with them.
nonono not that it maters its wet or not i mean that why would they eat the parents poo if its just as hard as the hogchow in there now o.0 if their isnt much moisture to it could it realy have things beneficial for the 1i nymphs?

but yes when i put lettuces in there i layer it and ill always find babies everywhere

Last edited: