how to over come

scott99

Arachnoknight
So I got a P cambridgei last week, and boy was it a eye opener. If going to be honesty I'm kind of scared of her. Its not like I'm arachnophobic it just I'm scared to rehouse her. What should I do? She's not defensive she just SOOO FAST. How do I over come this fear?

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Your best bet is to set up her new enclosure and put the old one in there with the top off she will come out when she's ready...

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I find this post hilarious coupled with all the batman references.......but anyway to over come your discomfort of p.cambridgei's speed do what I did, trade them to a buddy for something you actually enjoy!

don't be afraid. it will run. you will catch it. it will run again. you will catch it again. annoying and time consuming. but nothing to fear.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
This will be interesting to me, as someone who has this T on their 'list'. I'd expect that being ready with a catch cup nearby. No where for her to escape if she gets out (rehouse done in bathtub, with drains blocked, door closed and blocked). I've heard people recommend a 'bag method' where you get the spider to go into a bag, or something. Useful advice will come soon. :)

Mostly you stay calm.

I think what you're experiencing here is the reason people recommend the 'ladder' system of moving up to higher tier tarantulas. You're getting a taste of the speedy tarantula but without the highly potent old world venom. You'll be fine.

awiec

Arachnoprince
You just have to continue to work with the spider honestly, this is why you "ladder", a GBB won't prepare you for a psalmo but you get more used to a skittish spider. If it gets to the point where you feel you cannot care for the spider then trade it for a more suitable one. I know there are some more sassy avics that you could get instead as you will still get valuable experience but you should still be comfortable. As for the bag method, the idea is to get the spider into a bag and then guide it out of the bag into the new cage. I personally just use a 16 or 32 oz deli cup with a hole in it so I can stick my brush in and guide the spider into the new cage. I worked with wild spiders for a very long time and learned that eventually they do get tired and will go where you want them to; key is patience. Though I personally wait for my more potent species to go into pre-molt, they are a bit slower and more likely to go where you want them to go.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
see just to make sure everyone got it......batman was afraid of bats and took on the form of a bat to "overcome his fear" of bats and instill that same fear in bad guys ssooo.....when dark knight made a post about "overcoming his fears" it was awesome!

but wait so following the storyline wouldn't batman then become spiderman because now he's a afraid of spiders instead of bats?
Sorry dark knight but from now on you will be known as Peter Parker.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
hahaha you guys are so crazy!

anywho. i was also afriad when i got mine, not if it bolting tho, i was scared id pop the top on just as it bolts and *crunch* however shes now 3" at the least and only ran on me that first week.. let her get settled in, and when you need to rehouse her, shell most likely run INTO ITS HIDE.. just lift the webbing and add it to the new cage if big enough i personally wasnt able to fit it well into her new cage after first upgrade so nudged her out from the bottom, and she ran into the cup.. i left her be for a week or two and she was well established.. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Everything everybody here said.

I won't weigh in with advice on that species. I don't have it. I'll just say I have some real fast ones and the bigger 2 I have catch cups... And,a,catch container for... Like a larger longer wider piece of Tupperware with a thin cover. This can give me more distance to catch a flighty T. And less chance of harming it if you react too quick.

Really though you just have to decondition yourself to reacting physically when the spider runs. Best thing to do when a spider bolts.... Is let it run. Think about your reaction while it runs. React right when it stops. But if you jerk and freak near it right when it moves... You lose what little control over the situation you have.

How big is the T?

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I think that keeping yourself level and calm is the majority of the solution.
But if you can't convince yourself to be calm and still and not spaz out then I think you're screwed no matter what. :shrug:
So re home the bug to someone who can be calm in the presence of its existence. :biggrin:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i dont think giving it away is the answer.. just make yourself more comfortable.. iv worked with hot herps for 10yrs [sense i was about 12] and never once has the solution to a fiesty reptile been "trade him for a more suitable one".. i myself used to be scared of arachnids anyways and i adapted things to help me cope with a potential run, as at first i had no clue how fast they could be... my solution was grabbing a 99ltr tote to do tranfers and maintanance in.. and when i seen how fast a poec was.. i about dropped my jaw, i had to throw my tongue over my shoulder a few times actually... lol my solution when i got my P.camb and she bolted for the first time was now adding another tote.. so this T would have to either run up me[the poec did and im fine with that at least i wont loose it] or run over its own cup, run over another enclosure [9"*4" usually] and then run to the 99ltr tote[4'*1.5'*1'].. thats a huge run for small T's and made me feel SO much safer, as i know its about as likely to bite me as i am to bite it [i dont force them to do anything they dont wana]

so imo just make yourself comfortable however you can.. wether it be silk plants around your bed for them to hide in, towels i think anothe rmember said they use so theyl hide in them.. or using my totes method :D so long as your calm and comfortable you will have no issues, thats my 100% honest oppinion

Last edited:

tisha

Arachnopeon
Question: I have yet experienced a T running out of the cage. I have a P. cam, T. vio, pokies and some baboons and none run out (yet), they just run into their hide/web.
Could it be (running out) due to inadequate enclosure? I mean, not having proper hides or something the spider can use to feel secure or maybe substrate moisture/dryness? Or maybe I was just lucky with what I got???
With regards to rehouse, I use the bag method for fast Ts, though I made a small modification, not sure if someone else has done it, but I use ziplock bag and inserted a delicup (bottom removed) so the bag isn't flat. The bag would cover the cage top/opening (I use plastic jars as enclosure) and a paintbrush to move the T into the cup.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Question: I have yet experienced a T running out of the cage. I have a P. cam, T. vio, pokies and some baboons and none run out (yet), they just run into their hide/web.
Could it be (running out) due to inadequate enclosure? I mean, not having proper hides or something the spider can use to feel secure or maybe substrate moisture/dryness? Or maybe I was just lucky with what I got???
With regards to rehouse, I use the bag method for fast Ts, though I made a small modification, not sure if someone else has done it, but I use ziplock bag and inserted a delicup (bottom removed) so the bag isn't flat. The bag would cover the cage top/opening (I use plastic jars as enclosure) and a paintbrush to move the T into the cup.
personally i think them not having a hide is the main reason they do it once my psalms all web in they dont move from their hide period wiel the lids open unless i place a worm in a funny spot.. but i ofcourse still practice my tote method just incase. rather have it as a habit then need it and not have it

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Okay, well like already recommended you can put her old enclosure in to the new one, until she comes out then remove the old one.

If this is impossible, I recommend the bag method, this is a method I have used successfully to rehouse fast and feisty spiders. Put the enclosure into the bathtub (close drains! And block openings of the tubs), put a clear plastic bag over the enclosure, poke a hole in the bag just big enough for your tongs orr whatever you use to coax the spider, for it to fit through.. you can lay down the enclosure on its side, just remove decor and water bowls, don't worry too much about the substrate, but if you can remove some it would help. Then coax the spider into the bag. (remember they can still run out of the bag so secure it carefully as soon as she's inside. They can also bite through the bag so watch your fingers).

I always use the bag method, easier and safer, so I hope it helps and works wonders if you decide to use it.

I also heard of some placing a towel nearby when rehousing, if the T does escape it may run and seek cover under the towel, never tried this myself tough but sounds very usefull.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 08:58 AM ----------

personally i think them not having a hide is the main reason they do it once my psalms all web in they dont move from their hide period wiel the lids open unless i place a worm in a funny spot.. but i ofcourse still practice my tote method just incase. rather have it as a habit then need it and not have it
+1, give them some form of cover, they usually stay put out of sight and their hide/web is the first place they run to when there is a disturbance. Its easier to deal with them when they are out of sight, also, fake plants helps, they use them for anchor points, they make stunning dirt webs.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
+1, give them some form of cover, they usually stay put out of sight and their hide/web is the first place they run to when there is a disturbance. Its easier to deal with them when they are out of sight, also, fake plants helps, they use them for anchor points, they make stunning dirt webs.
well some utalize the anchors quite well, i have a ~2" irminia [huge estimate] who has TONS.. has like 7 leafs in her 32oz... uses 1.5 -.- LOL but yes once thye have a hidey hole all my psalms seem perfect.. i actually tong fed my pulcher yesterday as he/she was on top of her webs and shockingly didnt run.. and this is coming from the T who sealed a leaf 360degress on the sides and i had to break the silk to feed her a month ago XD

louise f

Arachnoangel
So I got a P cambridgei last week, and boy was it a eye opener. If going to be honesty I'm kind of scared of her. Its not like I'm arachnophobic it just I'm scared to rehouse her. What should I do? She's not defensive she just SOOO FAST. How do I over come this fear?
Well congratz with your lady. :)

they aren't that bad to rehouse. Just take it easy with her and you will do fine ;) once you have done it, you will quickly get used to it. ;)

I once tried that a P.irminia MM jumped at my boyfriends arm and ran to his back, and then i had to get it to run down again and into the enclosure, not that easy. Haha

First he just sad there and showed his fangs at me. then he ran down to the table. I cached him with a cup, when he sad still, and put him to the enclosure.
I am just as stubbern as they are.
They don't deside, i do. well i think i do. ;)

I can only say that crazy adventures happens with tarantulas. sometimes you never know where you have them. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well congratz with your lady. :)

they aren't that bad to rehouse. Just take it easy with her and you will do fine ;) once you have done it, you will quickly get used to it. ;)

I once tried that a P.irminia MM jumped at my boyfriends arm and ran to his back, and then i had to get it to run down again and into the enclosure, not that easy. Haha

First he just sad there and showed his fangs at me. then he ran down to the table. I cached him with a cup, when he sad still, and put him to the enclosure.
I am just as stubbern as they are.
They don't deside, i do. well i think i do. ;)

I can only say that crazy adventures happens with tarantulas. sometimes you never know where you have them. :)
just be sure its not in a cluttered room ;P [not speaking from experience.. for a change lmaoo]