A new enclosure question

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Good morning, board folks...

I was in my LPS picking up some crickets for The Luggage and they had a very sad looking spider that I had to rescue. The tag said it was a Rose Foot Baboon Bird-eater.

I looked up some caresheets and I saw it was a desert-dwelling spider. Poec54 always advocates setting up your enclosure like the environment, so I did my best...
enclosure1.jpg

enclosure2.jpg

I thought the heat lamp would help keep things hot and dry. I may have a heat-rock around somewhere too. Also the LPS guy recommended the freeze-dried crickets because they're much easier to keep than live ones.

Let me know what you think... This is the caresheet I used.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Heat lamp? Aaaahhh... no, I would remove that.. I never heard of a rose foot baboon bird eater, may want to post photos of it so we can advice you on a proper setup :) and that plant has to go also, aloooot of thorns

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Wait, is this a troll, I see a sponge in the water dish also! C'mon blue! I know you have way more experience to think that that's a good setup

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

Okay well I'm assuming troll post..

Last edited:

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
blue have you been hacked?
if you find your heat rock, first thing you do is cut the cord of the damn thing. they are dangerous and worthless as anything more than a fake rock.
this is obviously not real. lol but what avic? I don't see any spider period.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I haven't put the new spider in the enclosure yet. Really, no heat rocks. Huh.

Last edited:

horanjp

Arachnosquire
This enclosure is going to go up in flames any minute. On this thread, I mean. If I were you, I'd post a new picture of how you're reaaaaaally going to house your new 'rose foot baboon bird-eater' immediately.....or some harsh advice may be on the way......

Don't use care sheets if you're looking for good advice on husbandry. Keeping tarantulas is much less complicated than they may lead you to believe.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I haven't put the new spider in the enclosure yet. Really, no heat rocks. Huh.
There is no way you are serious, right?

Come clean blue, you're trolling, right???

Couldn't put together a worse wet-up, and imaginary species for that matter. Birdeater generally describes S. American, baboon describes African...and rose foot, that's a new one entirely.

The entire op couldn't be more heavily fabricated.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
There is no way you are serious, right?

Come clean blue, you're trolling, right???

Couldn't put together a worse wet-up, and imaginary species for that matter. Birdeater generally describes S. American, baboon describes African...and rose foot, that's a new one entirely.

The entire op couldn't be more heavily fabricated.
Perfect example for a very very VERY bad setup, lamp, sponge, substrate, plant.... the T won't last a day in it

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I think I can help sum up everyone's sentiment... need more heat lamp. See the top of that enclosure? You can easily clamp another 4-5 lamps, and you can even alternate spectrums. For a true desert species, like your new Rose Foot, you'll really want that heat-rock too. They can't digest without it.

Love it! Moar pix!!

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I think I can help sum up everyone's sentiment... need more heat lamp. See the top of that enclosure? You can easily clamp another 4-5 lamps, and you can even alternate spectrums. For a true desert species, like your new Rose Foot, you'll really want that heat-rock too. They can't digest without it.

Love it! Moar pix!!
A heat-disco ball would be awesome.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Everyone knows lids are optional for desert species and gravel is clearly the sub of choice for almost any ground dweller. Added bonus; the spines on the cactus ensures for proper impalement come dinner time when you roast and eat you're new rose foot. ;)

Spiderella

Arachnopeon
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Take the sponge out and replace it with 1 centimeter of water instead take
of the lamp change the substrate into eco earth and feed it LIVE crickets

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
A heat-disco ball would be awesome.
Everyone knows lids are optional for desert species and gravel is clearly the sub of choice for almost any ground dweller. Added bonus; the spines on the cactus ensures for proper impalement come dinner time when you roast and eat you're new rose foot. ;)

"The spines on the cactus are perfectly height/length for several dozen mini heat-disco balls, and will ensure proper impalement...."

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
Even Ts that live in those kinds of environment, dig deep burrow to avoid the heart. They only come out when the condition are right for them.
I tried to dig a hole to avoid the heart once. all it did was make me lonelier.

I actually don't have a problem with the missing lid. that way the T cant get tangled in the screen.