Gravid Ethmostigmus trigonopodus?

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hello,

I notice that one of my Ethmostigmus trigonopodus,a female I think (because of the lenght of the terminal legs) is very fat.I have her since three weeks now and I fed her only three times with some preys of the size of a meal worm (sorry for the crappy grammar x) )
So she's not overfed,and she is burrowed since four days now,I can take a pic if you want because she made it near the glass off the container.
May she be gravid?

Spiderella

Arachnopeon
Well.....

So I don't know if she could be gravid really, because I don't have information if she could be,but a picture would be helpful.And was she
eating the food?:o_O:

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Pics!

Here is a pic!I finally got her..
DSC01443.jpg

So,what do you think?Gravid or not? I think yes but I can't be 100% sure

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Could be.... have you increased her food intake or just kept it at a steady pace?

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hello,
I fed her 6 times in a month,with REALLY little preys (2 cm,mealworms or butterflies)
So I think she's not overfed...but I may be wrong!

Ripa

Arachnobaron
How big is she and the how big were the prey? It sounds like she may be gravid if you're not overfeeding her- allocating the excess nutrients that wouldn't be normally digested to the unborn young.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
She's 13,5 cm (5,25") and the preys were 2cm (O,75")
And there was no leftover,so I think she was interested in eating?

Ripa

Arachnobaron
She's 13,5 cm (5,25") and the preys were 2cm (O,75")
And there was no leftover,so I think she was interested in eating?
Alright, I think she might be gravid. If she's interested in food, I'd keep feeding her till she's full. You're gonna want her to have as much energy as possible when producing eggs for the healthiest offspring. They fast when they're protecting their eggs and if you try feeding them when they have the eggs already deposited, it may act as a disturbance to them (and disturbed brooding 'pedes will either a) abandon the eggs or b) eat them).

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hello,
Glad to know that my pede isn't overfed xD
Tomorrow will say us if she is gravid ...I would be so happy if I got eggs in a few months/weeks!
She's pretty fat,right?
EDIT:
I'll try to get better pics,and another question,can I feed my pedes for two months only with mealworms until I get crickets?I'm in a region with wild areas and I can get a large variety of food,but only during summer..

Last edited:

Ripa

Arachnobaron
If your pede actually accepts mealworms. Just don't feed her the mealworms when she's actually guarding the eggs.