New T

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hubby and I were in the pet store and saw starburst baboon so I am thinking its just a P.murinus. Well we get home and my husband says it wasn't orange that it looked white. So we go back to the pet store and low and behold its a 1.5" H.maculata . I kinda guilt tripped hubby because I thought some idiot would buy it not knowing its temperament and she'd be dead cause of it. I will post pics as soon as she calms down some

gobey

Arachnoknight
What pet store is selling those?

I just got this girl here. And she's UNGODLY fast.

I can't imagine some pet store having the slightest idea what they actually had there and selling it responsibly.

They're both faster and pack a nastier bite than a murinus even. Although they should in theory not be so easily aggravated.

They are so gorgeous though.

Attachments

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I have heard some people call the P.murinus as a Starburst baboon to and thinking it was a pet store I automatically thought P.murinus. Its a local pet shop here so you wouldn't recognize it.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I've actually seen them labeled Togo Starburst baboon. It was in fact an OBT since it was clearly very orange! I guess they tried to cover all the bases on that one :/

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Yeah I have heard some people call the P.murinus as a Starburst baboon to and thinking it was a pet store I automatically thought P.murinus. Its a local pet shop here so you wouldn't recognize it.
Half the time i dont even know common names. A petstore employee was talking about her 2 tarantulas. She said she had a rose hair and a starburst. I was like oh lkke an h mac, shes like no just a standard starburst (whatever that means). Turns out she was talking about an a genic..... Either way, you saved some noob from buying a fast and feisty tarantula!

cold blood

Staff member
I've actually seen them labeled Togo Starburst baboon. It was in fact an OBT since it was clearly very orange! I guess they tried to cover all the bases on that one :/
Mis-labeled....there's a variation of murinus known as the mombossa golden starburst....but togo starburst is a reference to H. mac, not murinus. Lps's often have their spiders mis-labeled or get the stupid name (common name) mixed up.

And calling a genic one just shows an utter and complete lack of REAL knowledge on the subject IMO.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Mis-labeled....there's a variation of murinus known as the mombossa golden starburst....but togo starburst is a reference to H. mac, not murinus. Lps's often have their spiders mis-labeled or get the stupid name (common name) mixed up.

And calling a genic one just shows an utter and complete lack of REAL knowledge on the subject IMO.
I've heard OBTs called Usambara Starburst Baboons

cold blood

Staff member
That's another variation...Usambara orange...found in the Usambara mountain region of Tanzania. It was once thought to possibly be its own species but is now known as a variant of P. murinus according to my sources.

gobey

Arachnoknight
That's another variation...Usambara orange...found in the Usambara mountain region of Tanzania. It was once thought to possibly be its own species but is now known as a variant of P. murinus according to my sources.
I thought it was the OBT essentially.

P. murinus rcf = Usambara orange starburst baboon tarantula

P. murinus tcf = Mombasa golden starburst baboon tarantula

This is a great example of why common names really do suck