Question about utah scorps

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I am going camping in 5 mile pass utah and I was wondering if anyone knew if there are scorpions. I am hoping to catch a few while im down there (if there are any scorpions, that is) and if they are there, would they be active around this time of the year?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live inUtah, and while I have never been to Five Mile Pass, I have found scorpions in various places in Utah. I would be surprised if there weren't any. The weather has been mild this spring...chances are good uou'll see some. Good luck.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I live inUtah, and while I have never been to Five Mile Pass, I have found scorpions in various places in Utah. I would be surprised if there weren't any. The weather has been mild this spring...chances are good uou'll see some. Good luck.
Thank you for the help, i am on my way right now and i brought a blacklight for night time hunting and flipping rocks and lumber during the day. I am hoping that the weather is good while im down there. Ill let you know if i find any or not.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for the help, i am on my way right now and i brought a blacklight for night time hunting and flipping rocks and lumber during the day. I am hoping that the weather is good while im down there. Ill let you know if i find any or not.
Sounds like you're coming well prepared. In the Lake Powell area of Utah, I have flipped rocks during the day and found a scorpion under most of them. IME, they aren't quite as common in the northern parts of Utah, but I've still had some success.

I hope to hear good news soon!

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you're coming well prepared. In the Lake Powell area of Utah, I have flipped rocks during the day and found a scorpion under most of them. IME, they aren't quite as common in the northern parts of Utah, but I've still had some success.

I hope to hear good news soon!
I have flipped rocks all day and nothing, i have been using the black light for about 20 minutes but i think its just too cold right now. :o_O:

Edit: Oh yeah, its way to cold for them right now. Its 39 degrees F

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Shame it was too cold. Hope it warms up for you soon though so you can find some!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Edit: Oh yeah, its way to cold for them right now. Its 39 degrees F
I don't know how long you're staying, but this weekend it's supposed to get into the low 70s during the day. That may not be warm enough to compensate for the chilly nights, though...I hope it works for you.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I don't know how long you're staying, but this weekend it's supposed to get into the low 70s during the day. That may not be warm enough to compensate for the chilly nights, though...I hope it works for you.
I will be staying until sunday so the chances of finding them are almost impossible. It just needs to be a lot warmer. If i can't find any i might go order some from ken the bug guy.

Methal

Arachnosquire
I am going camping in 5 mile pass utah and I was wondering if anyone knew if there are scorpions. I am hoping to catch a few while im down there (if there are any scorpions, that is) and if they are there, would they be active around this time of the year?
Like any arachnid you can certainly find them even dead winter, if you know where to look, do some digging, and have a little luck.

I've lived in Lehi, UT. my whole life, seen hundreds of scorpions out there. Typically they behave just like spiders, hide and wait, then get more active later in the day.

With the weather like it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see them out and about during the "heat" of the day.

Start turning over rocks, and peel back some dead bark and such. You may get lucky and find a few.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Like any arachnid you can certainly find them even dead winter, if you know where to look, do some digging, and have a little luck.

I've lived in Lehi, UT. my whole life, seen hundreds of scorpions out there. Typically they behave just like spiders, hide and wait, then get more active later in the day.

With the weather like it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see them out and about during the "heat" of the day.

Start turning over rocks, and peel back some dead bark and such. You may get lucky and find a few.
Oh nice, i live in Herriman ( im sure you know where that is haha) i havent found 1 scorpion here in my entire life. The only scorpion ive seen/caught was in saint george. I wonder how easy they are to find in herriman and what place in herriman they are most common. When i read that you find scorpions all over in Lehi i started to wonder how many scorpions are in my area, ill have to do a lot of research to see where they mostly live around my area.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Air temperature does not influence scorpion emergence. When the soil remains warm well after sundown, they become more active.

while it may be 103 during the day, and 69 late at night, the soil could be much colder a foot or two down. I recently went to imperial county, and hadrurus and aphonopelma were still dormant.

Try looking around rocky hillsides, or low mountains composed mostly of solid rock, these store heat for several hours, and any scorpions around them will likely be active.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Alright cool thanks. I might know a few areas near me with very rocky areas at the base of a mountain. Ill try looking there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk