First Egg Sac (Gooty)

goodyt

Arachnosquire
https://vimeo.com/124411703

I paired eleven female P metallicas this fall and my youngest female has laid her first sac. I have horrible notes on the process, but what I do have is: she has cohabed with at least three males (at most five.) All the males are likely from different genetic lines from her and each other. She's a very protective mama.

-AJ

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Congrats man! I hope it all goes well.The waiting is gonna kill you,lol.

cold blood

Staff member
Mad props gooty! Best of luck with the remainder of the journey!!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Wow 11 trying bring them prices down to rock bottom? ;) lol gl on the sack(s)

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Metallica's one of the Poec species that has an extra instar (along with formosa, tigrina, and miranda).

goodyt

Arachnosquire
No worries about rock bottom prices. I'm still adding to my collection at this point. I should also be obsessed enough over these upcoming ewls to slings to give updates.

The wait isn't going to be too bad. I figure, if the other females drop sacs, I'll be busy just timing when to pull each and making sure all the habitats are set up for those events. That should keep me busy enough in the meantime.

-AJ

awiec

Arachnoprince
that is a very massive sac, you're really trying to live up to your avatar aren't you? As for people teasing about bringing down the price, these are probably one of the best pokies to start off with but their price holds people back. Seeing also as this species will be extinct in the wild within a decade, having more in captivity I can only see as a positive to maintain the species.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
that is a very massive sac, you're really trying to live up to your avatar aren't you? As for people teasing about bringing down the price, these are probably one of the best pokies to start off with but their price holds people back. Seeing also as this species will be extinct in the wild within a decade, having more in captivity I can only see as a positive to maintain the species.
i thought they were already extinct in the wild?

awiec

Arachnoprince
i thought they were already extinct in the wild?
No not yet, they usually consider them extinct in the wild when no traces of the species hasn't been seen for 5-10 years in a row. They are very endangered but are not all gone yet.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Have there been any sightings of them in the last year in the wild?

-AJ

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I haven't read about insights, but it's very hard for a T species to go extinct so fast. As far as I know, smuggling of P. metallica is almost non-existent nowadays due to the large number of breeders having successful sacs from them, so the "only" threat now is deforestation.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
If only someone had tons of time and money to seek them
out for a documentary... *sigh* I can dream.

-AJ

awiec

Arachnoprince
If only someone had tons of time and money to seek them
out for a documentary... *sigh* I can dream.

-AJ
There are heavy restrictions dealing with the spiders, biologists aren't allowed to take any out of the country but the locals are allowed to kill them, same situation Brachys are in now if I recall right.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Just witnessing them and filming them in the wild is restricted too?

How sad that natives can kill them! If I was arachnophobic and had a baby and it was in my house, I might feel differently though.

-AJ

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
There are heavy restrictions dealing with the spiders, biologists aren't allowed to take any out of the country but the locals are allowed to kill them, same situation Brachys are in now if I recall right.
Makes sense....If you are local, you can go out every night with your friends and hunt and kill as many as you can every day, but if I gently pack one up and ship it somewhere, I'm the evil one facing prosecution and public scrutiny. :?