enclosures

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i am having a hard time finding cheap enclosures for my scorps, selection is quite poor, anyone got a good place to get em?

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I buy mine from Walmart, usually $3 or $4. You can check your local dollar store as well.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'm trying to nab a few arboreal species(ex: centruroides, etc.), so i need ones that are tall, and have secure lids.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep they have the tall ones, that's what I keep my gracilis in and they lock. It only cost me about $4. The smaller ones are cheaper. Ya got to look in the rubber container section, not the pet section.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tim R. said:
I buy mine from Walmart, usually $3 or $4. You can check your local dollar store as well.
WHAT!?! Only $3-$4

Where I live It's more like $8-$10 and that's only for a 10 gallon!

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This one was $4, it's 11" deep, 12" sided to side and 7.5" front to back.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
good advice, only i like to view mine without disturbing them and taking off the lid, and those walls dont seem too transparent

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea I can see your point, they're not clear as glass.

JPost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Their not 100% clear but I can see through mine just fine.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Oh, HaHa I thought you were talking about aquariums, but yeah, whatever gets the job done.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well if you put some planning into it, you could cut out a section or two of those large tupperware containers, and silicone some plexiglass or something in the holes to make a good viewing window. It will add a few dollars on, but u'll have a large tank for alot less still.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you are looking for a cheaper solution for glass aquariums, you could build your own. If you'd like, I could provide links on how to do this.

It's work, but it can be fun, and you have more control over what you are making.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
If you are looking for a cheaper solution for glass aquariums, you could build your own. If you'd like, I could provide links on how to do this.

It's work, but it can be fun, and you have more control over what you are making.
Sounds like fun! {D

Exactly how much cheaper are we talking here? If you haven't guest I'm a pennie-pincher.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, you will need to find a place that cuts glass or sells cut glass. I'd say at the most you could pay half what you normally would. As long as you don't drop thigns to much. :D

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Well, you will need to find a place that cuts glass or sells cut glass. I'd say at the most you could pay half what you normally would. As long as you don't drop thigns to much. :D
Back to the drawing board

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am using a kritter keeper. My 3 emps are just babies, though. The kritter keeper cost me 2.50.

I am planning to give them a nice tank once they get nice and large, but they will still be a long time later =[

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My local reptile depot has many reptile aquariums used for $10 with screen lids. I just saran wrap the lids a cut venelation holes to retain heat and humidity.
I've used them for years, scorps love them!
Kelly

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used to build my own glass-tanks, you can really custom tailor the shapes for arboreal vs burrowing species. All I had was some old windows, some silicone, a glass-cutter, and a razor blade for trimming. The visibility was also greater in the corners than the factory tanks, no excess silicone.