Poecilotheria Miranda Escape!

IoUrylia

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

So this is my first post, and not the most positive. But basically it seems that whilst sleeping last night my Juvenile P.Miranda miraculously managed to escape from it's enclosure. All I am asking for is some experiences, and advice with escapee Poecilotheria. For instance are they always going to head straight for the highest, darkest spot? Or should I be looking in other places? I have searched the whole room this morning but will make sure to have a look later this evening when it is dark. It's not ideal as it escaped in my bedroom. But hey, at least it is only 7-8cms.

Thank you in advance!

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Don't expect it to be on one specific place. It will hide in what it finds most suitable. Get up and search at night, hopefully it will be roaming around. You can always check in any elevated dark space.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My friend had a bunch of 3i regalis escape from the mothers enclosure. He always found them in the corners of the walls, up in the high part of the ceiling. I had a regalis sling get out months ago and I found it at 5:00 am in the corner where the ceiling meets the wall. Like Ashton said they will be active at night.In my experience they will usually be in an elevated position.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Seal the room and check all the trouble spots (i.e. impossible to get, unmovable nooks) first....then....be persistent and keep at it.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
You'd be surprised where they can fit, no joke. My 7 inch p fasciata ran INTO my counter, I had to rip it open. The opening was about the size of my finger. Pokies especially will seek dark places and like others said, will be more active at night. Pokies tend to wander unless they find a comfy home with food and water. They'll usually go up, but I've found that that is not always the case, so it's not a bad idea to look in lower places. Be careful capturing it, they bite without warning when they're spooked and it hurts, really freaking bad. Good luck! I hope you find the little guy :).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure about miranda, but not all Poki's go high up. In the wild some species are found only a few feet above the the ground. Unfortunately for you, you have a very nimble arboreal that prefers to be hidden and not seen.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure about miranda, but not all Poki's go high up. In the wild some species are found only a few feet above the the ground. Unfortunately for you, you have a very nimble arboreal that prefers to be hidden and not seen.
It's so sad, isn't it. The most beautiful Pokie being one of the most reclusive.

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
When my adult female striata escaped for a couple hours she just chilled until all the lights turned off.
Then I went back in to the room and she was crawling across the floor. I agree with the others, wait until it gets dark and then go looking.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Glad you found him!! Wow what a (insert sarcasm here) nice surprise that cold have been!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lucky you find him without any incident. Make sure whatever enclosure you have that T in doesn't have to big airholes, is closed tightly and so on. Can we get a pic of the enclosure by chance?

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Very fortunate it was found before a bite report was needed to be written.

Am I the only one that smells bs as to how the spider escaped!?? I feel as if a lid was left unlocked or it ran off whilst being handled... Hmmm...

IoUrylia

Arachnopeon
Why on earth would you handle any tarantula, let alone a Poecilotheria. Frankly, I took the suggestion that I handled him as unfounded, and slightly offensive.

It is certainly possible that I left the lid unlocked, as, at times my memory is poor. Like all of us. I have since taken precautions to stop it again. The precaution being a rehouse.

Thank you again everyone!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have alot of miranda and i dont really find them that reclusive, i see them pretty often, their closest relative tigrinawesselli i see much less. Miranda is also a pretty calm poec, and that is not to say "pls handle them", but they really have decent attitude.

To Lourylia: Glad you found her.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

Thank you everyone!

I actually found him (suspecting he is a Male) about 12 hours later on the opposite side of the room, nesteled in the fold of a hoodie. Really not the best place to hide!
Thing can go wrong. Some years ago i moved my females haplopelma hainanum and one decided to play jack in the box and jump up on me and away from me.... I searched thoroughly for 5min, but nowhere to be seen!
I sat in the chair to think about this dissapearring T, but then i looked at my shoulder;

I guess she must have laughed at me when i search "everywhere" for her;)

Last edited: