this Video

scott99

Arachnoknight
watch this
[YOUTUBE]1vg3mtcGTuM[/YOUTUBE]

P.S this is not some kind of a pro handling campaign. I just want to start a discussions about this video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why do you post a link to something like this? Is this how you spend your time, watching videos of "Look at me everybody, I'm holding a big hairy spider and I'm cool!" The comments you mentioned are somehow enlightening? You can't find anything better to do?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Yeah, saw that video, and think it's pretty stupid.. she has a very fat abdomen, misses a jump and there you have it.. a T with a ruptured abdomen..

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 07:51 PM ----------

And it doesn't mean if the feedback is positive that it's a good thing, ya know? Most of those people commenting don't know the risks and consequences and are more into it to look masculine than to actually care for the well-being of their tarantula.. youtube is filled with idiots handling spiders for the sole purpose of looking "cool" and "tough"..

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
P.S this is not some kind of a pro handling campaign. I just want to start a discussions about this video.
Not really sure what kind of "discussion" we can have other than the ones we've already been having. It's a bad idea, but there are plenty people who will do it anyway, as evidenced here. Not sure what more you're expecting to discuss.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Why do you post a link to something like this? Is this how you spend your time, watching videos of "Look at me everybody, I'm holding a big hairy spider and I'm cool!" The comments you mentioned are somehow enlightening? You can't find anything better to do?
Maybe what I did was kind of stupid, but it not like can just delete this post. Beside I'm sure you have "never" post anything dumb before.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Maybe what I did was kind of stupid, but it not like can just delete this post. Beside I'm sure you have "never" post anything dumb before.
No he hasn't.. he has over 30 years T experience, so I highly doubt that he ever posted something stupid on this forums..

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Dude...of all the active members, Poec54 is one of the most knowledgeable. You chose the wrong person to call out there bud.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, anyone can do a dumb thing, doesn't mean they are a dumb person (I hope --lol).

I admit, I had seen this video before and thought the music was excellent choice.
I do agree handling is bad idea though, and videos like this just encourage it.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Well, anyone can do a dumb thing, doesn't mean they are a dumb person (I hope --lol).

I admit, I had seen this video before and thought the music was excellent choice.
I do agree handling is bad idea though, and videos like this just encourage it.
It IS a great song, I'll give it that much! :D

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No he hasn't.. he has over 30 years T experience, so I highly doubt that he ever posted something stupid on this forums..
You're too kind. I'm far from perfect, and I'm sure all of my posts haven't been Pulitzer prize candidates, but I try to help and inform people, and add some humor here and there. My agenda is to keep the hobby going for the future, and one of the best ways to do that is to educate, breed, encourage responsible ownership, and to discourage handling and other stunts. This is the best time ever for taxonomy, information, being able to contact collectors (we're a global community!), and the number of species available, & yet simultaneously we're at the most vulnerable time ever for regulations and bans. We need to welcome and teach beginners, the future of the hobby, and at the same time screen out the thrill seekers and fools who would ruin it for everyone else, and direct them to other non-spider ways to demonstrate their irresponsibility and proclivity to injuring themselves. Just because someone owns a tarantula doesn't mean they should have it, or should be welcomed into this hobby. Some people get them for very wrong reasons, we've encountered some here. If we can't turn them around, it's in everyone's best interests if they find another pastime.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beautiful T, love to see arboreal jump, just not in that context. That owner is pretty stupid. And that song is terrible, I hate that song, thank god for mute! It should be obliterated from the planet.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
You're too kind. I'm far from perfect, and I'm sure all of my posts haven't been Pulitzer prize candidates, but I try to help and inform people, and add some humor here and there. My agenda is to keep the hobby going for the future, and one of the best ways to do that is to educate, breed, encourage responsible ownership, and to discourage handling and other stunts. This is the best time ever for taxonomy, information, being able to contact collectors (we're a global community!), and the number of species available, & yet simultaneously we're at the most vulnerable time ever for regulations and bans. We need to welcome and teach beginners, the future of the hobby, and at the same time screen out the thrill seekers and fools who would ruin it for everyone else, and direct them to other non-spider ways to demonstrate their irresponsibility and proclivity to injuring themselves. Just because someone owns a tarantula doesn't mean they should have it, or should be welcomed into this hobby. Some people get them for very wrong reasons, we've encountered some here. If we can't turn them around, it's in everyone's best interests if they find another pastime.
Well IMHO I have only found your posts very helpful and informative

Rozkol

Arachnopeon
Dude...of all the active members, Poec54 is one of the most knowledgeable. You chose the wrong person to call out there bud.
I just love how he calls out Poec54 of all people. Sure sometimes I think hes a little harsh and blunt, but it's needed when he does it. I haven't been around these forums for too long but I've already come to see who around here are the more recognizable and experienced. Poec54 is on the top of said list. Your not going to win against him because ultimately he's right.

You can handle your T all you want, but there's literally no benefit whatsoever for the T. Only risks. This is coming from someone who enjoys holding my one T (only once as a way to prove to myself I'm getting over my arachnophobia which still doesn't constitute the means). We can't stop you from doing it, but you can't seem to get engrained in your head that if you try arguing your side, you're going to get an overwhelming amount of rebuttal from the other side. And when this happens you call it "mean"...

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 09:17 PM ----------

This is what I like about you. You recognize the need for beginners to join the hobby, but only those who are willing to learn and aren't in it just for the "fun". Noobies like myself look to people like you, who aren't always praised for what you do. Your experience amongst others on this forum have given me so much knowledge in such little time it's amazing. I'm so glad I live in this day in age where knowledge, albeit sometimes bad, is at the tips of our fingertips. I'm pleased to say before I even bought my first T no more than two months ago I was able to properly harbor my animal due to this forum and it's users.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Wow, while I believe that people interacting with animals does increase the fondness a person has for them and thus, the likelihood that they will support specific conservation measures, this video is an example of that principle taken out of context. Venomous animals such as tarantulas need not be handled. The interaction that results in a love for these creatures should be a hands off approach. A little cost benefit analysis should bring a reasonable person to decide that it is not worth handling. Folks like this guy have something to prove....something better proved by a non living extension of their ego....I recommend obnoxious behavior since even a sports car can harm people that don't wield it with respect. As ignorant as this fellow is to how his actions could result in all the wrong repercussions for this hobby, his shirt is also ignorant and offensive. Hey dark knight, we all make mistakes and learn from them,and lord knows we all have a lot to learn. With all due respect, this is arachnoboards, where even batman can't step to Poec54....

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
his shirt is also ignorant and offensive.
Great. Now I gotta watch the stupid thing again to see what the deal is about the t-shirt.

Edit: I think I was whooshed. I thought it was that he was wearing a shirt adorned with some offensive saying or image.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I was afraid of how that video was going to end. Any true hobbyist would never try to do anything that might endanger or kill any T. The problem with this is all the idiots upvoting and spreading this non sense to the less informed and advertising that this is "cool" to do with your tarantula. Truly unfortunate :/

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've already come to see who around here are the more recognizable and experienced. Poec54 is on the top of said list. Your not going to win against him because ultimately he's right.

This is what I like about you. You recognize the need for beginners to join the hobby, but only those who are willing to learn and aren't in it just for the "fun". Noobies like myself look to people like you, who aren't always praised for what you do. Your experience amongst others on this forum have given me so much knowledge in such little time it's amazing.
I'm not at the top of the knowledge/experience list; let's just say I'm somewhere in the upper half. And no, I'm not always right, I haven't always 'won out': there's so many species today and so much to learn. One thing I found out early on is that rarely do things apply across-the-board with tarantulas. There's almost always exceptions to everything. I come here to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, and to pass on what I've learned. One of the main reasons I'm here is to help and encourage the next generation of serious collectors and breeders, the budding Chris Allen's, Tom Patterson's, Chad Campbell's, Kelly Swift's, Steve Nunn's, etc. If I can play a part in a few beginners following in those footsteps, I'm thrilled. Mission accomplished. One of my mentors during the growth surge of the 1990's was Bryant Capiz of Arachnocentric. He really did a lot to promote the hobby, and sincerely help enthusiastic collectors like me. There's a natural progression of the experienced helping the up-and-coming.