Avicularia ssp ID PLEASE

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Picture size wont load in the ID section so theyre going here. Need help on an ID ASAP please.
6" female

What do you all think

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 08:05 PM ----------

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
We're not supposed to be identifying Avics by photos, yada, yada, I know, . . . but this one is fun to try. Not a red hair on it's body, nor blue/indigo coloration. At 6 inches these are probably the adult colors. Does she have yellow legs bands Austin? In one pic it looks like she does, but there isn't a straight shot of her distal legs. I'm gonna take a guess at A. juruensis. Your pic looks a lot like the smaller photo, published in the article: Juruin: an antifungal peptide from the venom of the Amazonian Pink Toe spider, Avicularia juruensis, which contains the inhibitory cystine knot motif, in Frontiers in Microbiology [LINK].
SJ0GbrG.jpg .
Course, A. juruensis would be indistinguishable, or nearly so, from A. aurantiaca by photo, and may even be the same species. Finally, as far as undescribed species, there may be a few to consider. She's a beauty.

Ok . . . have some data regarding this spider's background? WC/CB, location of collection, etc.?
:)
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That looks identical actually. I'll do some digging and see if I can answer those questions. Thanks again my friend.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. Metallica green. I'm trying to avoid the boards, but I've had massive females of each. I'll post pictures of species the op had thought this specimen was.

Like I told the op before find out where the specimen came from. Also wait till she molts and use her molt to determine the correct species.

Last edited:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. Metallica green. I'm trying to avoid the boards, but I've had massive females of each.
Do you have a picture of the metallica green? Bc Steven's picture of the juruensis is IDENTICAL. Do sp metallica green have yellow bands? No.. This one does.

---------- Post added 04-13-2015 at 09:39 AM ----------

I have one
Avicularia sp. Metallica green adult female

Link to page (not my photo)
http://www.arachnofreaks.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4208

Last edited by a moderator:

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed it's identical. The op said it wasn't green and there are yellow bands, which i missed. That's a super old juruensis then. I'll still post pictures anyways. I Would say that Steve and Austin would be correct. I heard juruensis was bigger. Austin you said the specimen was only six inches. Did you measure her? My female was over seven inches. And I had a mm that was seven and a half inches.

Nice Avicularia metallica Austin.

---------- Post added 04-13-2015 at 10:52 AM ----------

I'm confused. Is this Joe's or Austin' specimen?

Last edited:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah.. I do agree I do need the molt though for proper ID. I am wanting to breed her, but will wait until she molts and have a 100% ID.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juruensis males, like most Avicularia males are super hard to find. Anyways, I wish you tons of luck. ;) I'd love to actually find out what she is when she molts.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Juruensis males, like most Avicularia males are super hard to find. Anyways, I wish you tons of luck. ;) I'd love to actually find out what she is when she molts.
Same, I'm more excited for a molt vs breeding lol

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, this gal molted... Looks NOTHING like I originally thought. Any ideas? She's a little over 6"

It looks very close, if not, Avicularia metallica. What about azuraklaasi?

What do you all think now???

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was right. ;)
LOL, I shall not doubt you again. How the hel* could you tell from its pre molt pictures, I will never know. You're once crazy fella with Avics, lol.

So metallica, not metallica "green" or azuraklaasi?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't understand why no one believes me..... I could tell by her fluffy hair, plus juruensis get bigger and don't look like that. Congrats on the big sexy metallica!

I just know my Avicularia... lol. I have so many Avicularia it's a bit crazy lol. You should still breed her. We need more CB metallica. :)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't understand why no one believes me..... I could tell by her fluffy hair, plus juruensis get bigger and don't look like that. Congrats on the big sexy metallica!
Its not even that no one believes you? It is just that IMHO, it was grey and had yellow bands, pre molt it looked nothing like metallica, lol.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As metallica age they have "bands". And I just knew she was in premolt. Everyone said she had grey on her, but I only saw green. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's hard enough ID'ing Avics from pictures, but when their faded and worn it's even tougher. I've gotten brown w/c Avics, and when they molted most were typical Avic avic (one was metallica).