Strange Habits? My T likes to lounge in corners.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
I'm new to tarantula keeping, so not sure if this is normal behavior. Every time I open her tank to refill her water bowl or feed her, my rosehair Suzie likes to run to the corner of her tank and hang off in a leisurely looking way. I personally find it adorable.

Anyone else have a T that shows odd personality traits?

image.jpg

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I'm new to tarantula keeping, so not sure if this is normal behavior. Every time I open her tank to refill her water bowl or feed her, my rosehair Suzie likes to run to the corner of her tank and hang off in a leisurely looking way. I personally find it adorable.

Anyone else have a T that shows odd personality traits?

View attachment 135900
Very cute. It looks like a long fall, though, so I'd worry. More substrate in the tank will help if she falls backward, so you may want to consider that. As for the possibility of falling forward... maybe put a pillow down where ever she sits?

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
That photo was taken shortly after I got her and that was just a temporary tank that I now use for super worms. Her and my other rosehair are now in more sturdy tanks that are shorter and have 2.5" substrate. Even in the new tank, she still likes the corner when the top is off, but she is never more than a few inches from the substrate or soft carpet.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
That photo was taken shortly after I got her and that was just a temporary tank that I now use for super worms. Her and my other rosehair are now in more sturdy tanks that are shorter and have 2.5" substrate. Even in the new tank, she still likes the corner when the top is off, but she is never more than a few inches from the substrate or soft carpet.
Ahh, good. that makes me feel much better. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
iv posted it before but my fm Boehmei likes to lounge on one of her leaf letting a few legs hang off.. ill see if i can find the pic again

my gbb fem likes to hold up like a gargoyle above her terra cotta pot.. shes being rehoused soon we shall see if she does the same with her wood hide lol

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
My p Scrofa runs to the center of the enclosure whenever there's a disturbance close by and always when I open the lid. I'm assuming it cuz that's her killing field. She's big into the food.

los3r

Arachnosquire
My chalcodes wanders over to the side each time I open and either climbs out or just sits there with her legs hanging out much like your rosehair. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wait till you get to see E. sp. "red" - every time you open the lid they go "Oh hey! Exploration time, yay!" *crawls out* :p

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
bahahaha i just thought of adding something similar after talking about side huggers.. iv had my genic for almost a year.. she was 1.5 now pushes 5" and all along she had no care for hugging the walls. she just sat there like a good pet rock and ate everything.. maybe moving a little bit to drink. but when i put her in a 5.5 with cork background, mainly to pease my eyes... well aparently it cought her.. she has a habbit of laying on the back.. now theres maybe 5" at the lowest pointin sub and shes pushin 4.5-5" now so she aint gona fall far.. but when she thinks shes starving [usually 4-5 days after a meal] shes up on the wall.. only the cork wall, never somewhere elese.. and she grabs the roach midair.. not some jacky chan 720 spin type snatch tho.. just rears up grabs with her palps and front legs and noms.. and after she has it she walks backwards down to the sub and munches... she is the only terestrial i know that has a cork fettish.. she hates her pot hide [dont have cork round big enough for her] shell hapily sit on the cage floor if well fed.. but when shes hungry.. you know it XD

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
My rather large and heavy G pulchra as suddenly decided that she's really an Avicularia pulchra she spends hours climbing and sitting on her plant
My B. albopilosum occasionally does the same. She has a cute plastic aloe vera plant half buried in her sub. She didn't know to do with it at first, so she webbed it up to the point of barely recognizing it, and now from time to time, will ride it. Makes sure she has a leg touching a different plastic leaf, and she sits parallel to it, on a perfect angle. Then she'll sit like that for hours. :D

killainstinct

Arachnopeon
Wait till you get to see E. sp. "red" - every time you open the lid they go "Oh hey! Exploration time, yay!" *crawls out* :p
THIS /\

My sp red is exactly the same. As long as the enclosure lid is open the spidy is always wanting to explore.

Climbs to the corner and waits for something to walk out on to hand/book etc.

They do like a fair bit of exploring!