My kingsnake's untouched food

Spam010

Arachnosquire
My kingsnake decided she didn't want her little rat. I buy my rodents from a local pet store. So Fred the rat has been chillin' with me and I'm getting a little attached.

image.jpg

Attachments

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
About 10 years ago, I have bought a pair of rats to breed some pups for my gila monsters. After the breeding, male was killed and fed to a python but after the babies were born, I couldn't get myself to give them to my gilas or kill them to freeze them. I ended up raising up 12 baby rats and gave them away as pets. Live feeding doesnt work for me.

Spam010

Arachnosquire
I've been feeding her live ever since I got her. I don't have a problem feeding live but for some reason this little rat seems different.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
About 10 years ago, I have bought a pair of rats to breed some pups for my gila monsters. After the breeding, male was killed and fed to a python but after the babies were born, I couldn't get myself to give them to my gilas or kill them to freeze them. I ended up raising up 12 baby rats and gave them away as pets. Live feeding doesnt work for me.
Im the same way. I keep rats now too. They have such nice personalities. They make great pets. I could never feed live.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Fred is very cute. Once you take the time to interact with them, you find rats are amazing creatures.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Rats could become your best friends the duration you have them.... I still miss my Millie Maus. Rats> all other rodent pets. They are literally the rodent equivalent of a dog and love socialization. Even unfixed males can live together happily without fighting, which isn't what I can say for most other rodents. If you really need to feed live, feed hamsters or mice, instead- they actually are nasty.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
see im sourt of similar mine all eat f/t only 1 animal i help with we feed live regularly [tho we feed live as we have the sizes] and its only because finding a f/t goat isnt exactly easy XD but i did buy my first 1.1 as breeders and then traded off for a few more bloodlines. [all still documented in my notes so i know what lines are with who] and im up to over 30 rats with names..all are spoiled constantly.. some males are raised up for larger feeders and are bred a time or two before biting the dust.. most are even in a big ol critter nation 242's and none are in racks like other herp keepers do[i do slightly regret it they can be fairly messy].. smart lil animals tho most of mine know tricks.. they are like mini dogs ^_^ but i do feed i just stay emotionally unattatched to the "normal" looking or skittish ones i often do make sure i mark one who has a cute personality and shell usually become a future breeder and i may trade off a semi decent momma to try and get a color line more established XD

Last edited:

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rats are incredible pets. Very intelligent! They will constantly surprise you.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I hate rats! Buy a black throat monitor.... Name him Dumpster Dan and toss all uneaten prey his way....

14pokies

Arachnoprince
They're just gross they smell horrible and leave a trail of pee as they walk...

---------- Post added 04-30-2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

That's a little mean to say...
Ya the supreme creator forgot to install a filter in my brain.... I constantly spew verbal carcinogens...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not that. Why the hate for rats?
Dislike, mistrust, enmity et al all stems from a lack of understanding, a lack of knowledge. I moved out to the rural area after a few years in central Chiang Mai. Late at night in the city you can't go for a stroll anywhere without seeing dozens of chunky rats that live in the drains and sewers. Of course such rats equate in the mind as = disease carriers which they are.

So out here near the forests, surrounded by farm lands, I noticed rats every night, running along the tops of walls, across our gate, in the bushes. I had an innate dislike and even considered setting traps. Then I realized away from man made filthy environments they don't pose any more of a problem than any other native animal. Human ignorance and the disease ridden synthetic detritus layer they generate is what causes most rat borne diseases. The rats are just part of the clean up crew as well as providing food for the various predators.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Dislike, mistrust, enmity et al all stems from a lack of understanding, a lack of knowledge. I moved out to the rural area after a few years in central Chiang Mai. Late at night in the city you can't go for a stroll anywhere without seeing dozens of chunky rats that live in the drains and sewers. Of course such rats equate in the mind as = disease carriers which they are.

So out here near the forests, surrounded by farm lands, I noticed rats every night, running along the tops of walls, across our gate, in the bushes. I had an innate dislike and even considered setting traps. Then I realized away from man made filthy environments they don't pose any more of a problem than any other native animal. Human ignorance and the disease ridden synthetic detritus layer they generate is what causes most rat borne diseases. The rats are just part of the clean up crew as well as providing food for the various predators.
isn't it true that if A "pet" rat crawls on you and scratches you where it has dribbled urine/left fecal particles you can get a staph infection or the presents of ammonia from there urine in a household setting can be detrimental to your airways?

I was never arguing Rattus rattus value in nature... I was merely voicing my distain for them in domestic situations...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
isn't it true that if A "pet" rat crawls on you and scratches you where it has dribbled urine/left fecal particles you can get a staph infection or the presents of ammonia from there urine in a household setting can be detrimental to your airways?

I was never arguing Rattus rattus value in nature... I was merely voicing my distain for them in domestic situations...
Yups. However, on the larger scale of things, dogs and cats are worse. If you aren't maintaining infection control level 2 or better and containing your animals in quarantine circumstances, you are courting a zap any way you go. It's really a question of of which rather than if. Rats offer up Strep and Spirillum, cats pack Pastuerella multocida and so on.
According to the CDC, US, we have:

Diseases transmitted directly by rodents (zoonotic):
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
Lassa Fever
Leptospirosis
Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
Plague
Rat-Bite Fever
Salmonellosis
South American Arenaviruses (Argentine hemorrhagic fever, Bolivian hemorrhagic fever, Sabiá-associated hemorrhagic fever, Venezuelan hemorrhagic fever)
Tularemia

Zoonotic diseases transmitted by animals in general:
Aeromonas Infection
Ancylostoma braziliense Infection - see Hookworm Infection
Ancylostoma caninum Infection (Hookworm Infection)
Avian Influenza
Bartonella henselae Infection
Baylisascaris procyonis Infection (Raccoon Roundworm Infection)
B Virus Infection (Herpes B Virus Infection)
Bird Flu - see Avian Influenza
Black Death - see Plague
Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease)
Brucella Infection (Brucellosis)
Brucellosis (Brucella Infection)
BSE - see Mad Cow Disease
Bubonic Plague - see Plague
C. neoformans Cryptococcosis
Campylobacter Infection (Campylobacteriosis)
Campylobacteriosis (Campylobacter Infection)
Canine Influenza
Cat Scratch Disease
Cave Disease - see Histoplasmosis
Chlamydia psittaci Infection (Psittacosis)
Contagious Ecythema - see Sore Mouth
Contagious Pustular Dermatitis - see Sore Mouth
Coxiella burnetti Infection (Q fever)
Cryptococcosis, C. neoformans
Cryptosporidiosis (Cryptosporidium Infection)
Cryptosporidium Infection (Cryptosporidiosis)
CSD - see Cat Scratch Disease
Cysticercosis (Pork Tapeworm)
Dermatophyte Infection (Ringworm)
Dipylidium Infection (Tapeworm Infection)
Dog flu - see Canine Influenza
Echinococcosis (Echinocococcus Infection)
Echinocococcus Infection (Echinocococcus Infection)
E. Coli Infection (Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection)
Erysipelothrix Infection
Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infection (E. coli Infection)
Fish Tank Granuloma (Mycobacterium marinum Infection)[PDF - 4 pages]
Francisella tularensis Infection (Tularemia)
Giardiasis (Giardia Infection)
Giardia Infection (Giardiasis)
H3N8 Influenza - see Canine Influenza
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS)
Herpes B Virus Infection (B Virus Infection)
Herpesvirus simiae Infection - see B Virus Infection
Histoplasma Infection - see Histoplasmosis
Histoplasmosis (Histoplasma Infection)
Hookworm Infection (Ancylostoma caninum Infection)
HPS (Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome)
LCMV (Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis)
Leishmania Infection (Leishmaniasis)
Leishmaniasis (Leishmania Infection)
Leptospira Infection (Leptospirosis)
Leptospirosis (Leptospira Infection)
Lyme Disease (Borrelia burgdorferi Infection)
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis (LCMV)
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus from Pet Rodents
Mad Cow Disease - see Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infection (MRSA)
Microsporum Infection - see Ringworm
Monkey B Virus Infection - see B Virus Infection
Monkeypox
MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infection)
Mycobacterium marinum Infection (Fish Tank Granuloma)[PDF - 4 pages]
Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection (Tuberculosis)
Ohio Valley Disease - see Histoplasmosis
Orf Virus Infection (Sore Mouth)
Plague (Yersinia pestis Infection)
Psittacosis (Chlamydia psittaci Infection)
Q Fever (Coxiella burnetti Infection)
Rabies
Raccoon Roundworm Infection (Baylisascaris procyonis Infection)
Rat-bite Fever (Streptobacillus moniliformis Infection, Spirillum minus Infection)
RBF - see Rat-bite Fever
Rickettsia rickettsia Infection (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever)
Ringworm (Dermatophyte Infection)
RMSF - see Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (Rickettsia rickettsia Infection)
Roundworm Infection (Toxocariasis)
Salmonella Infection (Salmonellosis)
Turtles Kept as Pets
Salmonella from Pocket Pets
Salmonellosis (Salmonella Infection)
Sarcoptes scabeii Infection (Sarcoptic Mange)
Sarcoptic Mange (Sarcoptes scabeii Infection)
Scabby Mouth - see Sore Mouth
Sore Mouth (Orf Virus Infection)
Spirillum minus Infection (Rat-bite Fever)
Sporothrix schenckii Infection (Sporotrichosis)
Sporotrichosis (Sporothrix schenckii Infection)
Streptobacillus moniliformis Infection (Rat-bite Fever)
Taenia solium Infection - see Cysticercosis
TB - see Tuberculosis
Taeniasis - see Cysticercosis
Tapeworm Infection (Diplyidium Infection)
Tinea - see Ringworm
Toxocara Infection - see Roundworm
Toxocariasis (Roundworm Infection)
Toxoplasma gondii Infection (Toxoplasmosis)
Toxoplasmosis (Toxoplasma gondii Infection)
Trychophyton mentagrophytes Infection - see Ringworm
Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection)
Tularemia (Francisella tularensis Infection)
Uncinaria stenocephala Infection - see Hookworm Infection
West Nile Virus Infection
Yersinia enterocolitica Infection (Yersiniosis)
Yersinia pestis Infection - see Plague
Yersin

Of interest, rats are not known to be carriers of the quite common Aeromonas while both dogs and cats are. That's rather weird. Or nearly all kittens carry B. henselae and people thinking nothing of getting kitten chomped or licked.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
They're just gross they smell horrible and leave a trail of pee as they walk...

---------- Post added 04-30-2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

Ya the supreme creator forgot to install a filter in my brain.... I constantly spew verbal carcinogens...
Yes mice and rats have bad bladders.. And often pee wiel walking.. But dont you know they dont constantly do it... Mine are all potty trained and only time i have to wash the fabric in their cage is when a fm has a litter and from the time the babies open their eyes till they are trained or fed off...