Goliath bird-eater in the same position for the past three days

holetoledo

Arachnopeon
I gave him a particularly large Discoid roach on Sunday. Perhaps he's really full? I poked him and he moved his leg away. I just hope he's alright. He's usually very active. I also have a Chilean Rosehair and this is more her flair than his--not moving for a while. So I'm just worried.

Has anyone seen their Goliath bird-eater become this...immobile?

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 7.40.26 PM.jpg

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I have to ask is he unresponsive or just not moving around and chilling out. if he is not responsive that is not a good sign in my experience. never had a goliath bird eater my self so not sure of their habits but in my experience if they do not respond to being touched it is not good. I wish I had more to tell you perhaps some one else here can help or has experienced this with their T.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
The enclosure looks a bit on the dry side and that water dish doesn't seem to have much water in it. Him being right next to it might indicate that he's getting dehydrated which would explain him not moving around(but it could also be due to lots of other things).

holetoledo

Arachnopeon
Thanks - I usually spray water on the other side of the terrarium, and was on the way to refill his water dish (he likes to sit in it and it overflows which is why it looks empty).

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if your T is hanging around the water dish constantly it is likely too dry for them.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks - I usually spray water on the other side of the terrarium, and was on the way to refill his water dish (he likes to sit in it and it overflows which is why it looks empty).
Pour water gently onto the sub, misting doesn't get down into the sub and has much less of a positive effect that lasts much longer. I've heard estimates of as little as 20 minutes of benefit comes from misting.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, they need consistently moist, but not wet, substrate. They are prone to dehydration.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree with cold blood.

They need constant moisture but not from misting (as said poured into the substrate) as it lasts much longer and they need lots of space to move around.

hopefully your T gets better soon.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Substrate's not deep enough, water bowls should be away from the sides so they don't slip and fall on them. What kind of lid? Tarantulas can chew right thru screen, fiberglass and aluminum.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Poec54 is right cause I've had T's including T,Blondi chewing through mesh lids (stupid mistake) haha.

I learned my lesson as a newbie many years ago on that note lol...They will be fine with hard plastic materials.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never had a T chew through screen before that is a good to know piece of info thanks much Poec.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I have never had a T chew through screen before that is a good to know piece of info thanks much Poec.
You've been on these boards/threads since 2009 and you didn't know about T's chewing through mesh lids?

Or was that a pun intended? lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Members have posted pics of holes in screen lids that their tarantulas escaped thru. They can dig thru hard, compacted soils; screens are easy.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Members have posted pics of holes in screen lids that their tarantulas escaped thru. They can dig thru hard, compacted soils; screens are easy.
+1 theyr very easy for T,Blondi or even G,Rosea to make holes in mesh (as you know)

surprised how someone who's been on these boards from 2009 didn't know that already confuses me, Ha well nothing bad with learning something new.

OK I've had many drinks but will be fine tomorrow.

holetoledo

Arachnopeon
image.jpg

He's not looking as crumpled anymore, but his booty is pretty small compared to how he was about a week ago. :( I feel horrible for being that neglectful.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Just keep the water dish full and give him moist substrate, like already said here, don't mist, it has no long lasting effects.. add more substrate in there as well, does it have some sort of hide? Also if the enclosure is fitted with a screen top, get that removed and changed ASAP (you can use lids made from cast acrylic sheets). Screen tops prevents a micro-climate from forming, all the humidity just escapes through the top, and they can chew through it like Poec54 already stated:)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You don't want to mist a Theraphosa's cage, it'll send the hairs airborne.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a bit of follow up I had totally forgotten that Ts could chew through mesh poec simply reminded me of this I have always used hard plastics for my Ts so never had this problem and yes now thinking back I do remember seeing pics of holes that tarantulas chewed through lids and such. Bear in mind I have been out of things for a few years since my buddy that did T stuff with me died of cancer after which I had to sell his collection cause his wife was to scared to go near the tarantulas and centipedes. After that I kinda bowed out for a bit I am getting back into things now because my son is into it and I want to show him how to properly be a part of this hobby and I still love spiders did not know how much I missed the Ts till we started looking for some again.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can wrap plastic wrap around a screen top to decrease ventilation and increase humidity.