The Pheromone Theory

Ashton

Arachnoknight
A friend of mime and I were talking and he brought something up, but before that is discussed, a little prerequisite to that specific theory must be stated.

Tarantulas, just like most animals to my knowledge, use pheromones for mating and I'm sure for marking territory (likely through webbing). Humans also use pheromones. Many handlers know that there are some Ts that will be defensive with others. This may even be true for non-handlers.

The theory is that due to common contact, there is a sort of connection that can be made (whether or not it is a traditional bond) between the caretaker and care receiver.

Then again, this could all be a ridiculous idea that can't work. Any thoughts, opinions, concerns?

cold blood

Staff member
Phermones don't work across different species...each is unique to the species. Close relatives, maybe, different animal types altogether, no.

I would think an unrecognized pheromone, assuming it could be detected, would be more of a repellent than an attraction.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I believe I've read that cats will mark their pet humans (by rubbing on them), but cats are mammals that have been domesticated for a very long time. To think that tarantulas might do anything remotely similar would require some real evidence. And I can't imagine any evolutionary mechanism where any such connection between humans and tarantulas could arise in the short time they've been kept as pets.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
well, there is a difference between detectable scent that's perceived with the conscious mind and undetectable pheromones perceived with the sub conscious. For instance, a woman at a bar may perceive that the man they are flirting with smells nice, maybe he uses Drakkar. I've never heard of anyone, on the other hand, saying "oo boy, that dude's pheromones sure do make me hot!" Humans have pheromones too, we don't perceive them on a conscious level though.

Other animals however, with heightened olfactory senses may in fact actually consciously perceive them. As to the question of if pheromones are detectable cross species, I don't have that answer, I'll go with you on that one Pyro. ;)

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to say that it might be possible that a T gets use to your scent. as in it now just considers you as part of its environment that might be possible I guess never read a study on it or done any real research on arachnid memory my self.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
well, there is a difference between detectable scent that's perceived with the conscious mind and undetectable pheromones perceived with the sub conscious. For instance, a woman at a bar may perceive that the man they are flirting with smells nice, maybe he uses Drakkar. I've never heard of anyone, on the other hand, saying "oo boy, that dude's pheromones sure do make me hot!" Humans have pheromones too, we don't perceive them on a conscious level though.

Other animals however, with heightened olfactory senses may in fact actually consciously perceive them. As to the question of if pheromones are detectable cross species, I don't have that answer, I'll go with you on that one Pyro. ;)
Sorry, misidentification... I meant Cold Blood sorry CB

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I would have to say that it might be possible that a T gets use to your scent. as in it now just considers you as part of its environment that might be possible I guess never read a study on it or done any real research on arachnid memory my self.

I dont think they have long-term memory with their primitive brains.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I dont think they have long-term memory with their primitive brains.
I disagree with this. I've had some that appeared to recognize the vibration or sound of the enclosure being opened enough to associate it with food. Over time, I came to see them show obvious hunting stance as soon as I'd open up the enclosure. It didn't look like defensive stance, it looked like the same alert they show when they feel prey walk nearby.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that is kinda where I am at I think it is possible for them to become accustom to their environment like any living thing but that seems to be the extent of it.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I disagree with this. I've had some that appeared to recognize the vibration or sound of the enclosure being opened enough to associate it with food. Over time, I came to see them show obvious hunting stance as soon as I'd open up the enclosure. It didn't look like defensive stance, it looked like the same alert they show when they feel prey walk nearby.
Do some reading. Thats not memory, its just associating patterns with food, not remembering you and your intentions to feed the spider.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Do some reading. Thats not memory, its just associating patterns with food, not remembering you and your intentions to feed the spider.
Excuse me, "do some reading" is a pretty rude response. Feel free to disagree with me, but please don't insult my intelligence.

---------- Post added 04-18-2015 at 03:03 PM ----------

A conditioned response.
Agreed, it is a conditioned response. There's a very fine line between that and memory, however. We can't always tell where one begins and the other leaves off.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
It sounded a bit rude, Im sorry. What I was trying to say is that what we think doesnt really prove anything. We obviously have different definitions on memory, but the consensus is that they dont possess the needed functions of their nervous system to memorize things. I prefer to call it association and instinctual reaction to that from repeating it on a weekly basis. Your interpretation might differ and thats fine. I guess trying to define memory is.like trying to define time. Still, not.possessing the needed complexity of their nervous system is enough proof for me that they dont have the ability to memorize.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
A conditioned response.
I'm going to ring a bell before I drop in crickets from now on and see if the tarantulas start salivating when I ring the bell again in the future. Pavlov's Tarantula experiment is underway! :)