Putting Holes in Amac Boxes

Freakish

Arachnopeon
I purchased these today to use as enclosures for my two sling (the 4x4x5 1/16) - http://www.containerstore.com/shop/giftPackaging/containers/boxes?productId=10028594
I need to poke holes in them for ventilation, however and am unsure how to go about it.... Can I melt this kind of plastic if I head up a safety pin and push it through?
I only have two (one for each sling) so I would really prefer not cracking or messing them up.. Any advice/info is appreciated!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I used the smallest drill bit to bore holes into the Amac boxes I have.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Drill careful and do NOT use a Dremel they spin their bits too fast causing melting.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
Use a good drill bit with something behind the plastic when you drill. Keep going and drill all the way through w/o stopping or slowing.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Drill careful and do NOT use a Dremel they spin their bits too fast causing melting.
My Dremel is variable speed... that being said, I know it's too fast, but I'll never be sure how slow to go. I use a cordless power drill, and slow it down with the trigger when I think it's too fast. Much harder with a Dremel, but I'm okay with less-than-straight holes. And slightly cracked holes. And starting over with a new box.

Need to look into this heated nail technique...

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i just put one in the top of an amac style box not long ago. i just slowed my drill down to what seemed like a crawl..and still melted a little.. so i put the tabs on the outside of the cage, less apealing to most but seemingly so much safer for a T if theres jagged plastic ;D

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Dremel is variable speed... that being said, I know it's too fast, but I'll never be sure how slow to go. I use a cordless power drill, and slow it down with the trigger when I think it's too fast. Much harder with a Dremel, but I'm okay with less-than-straight holes. And slightly cracked holes. And starting over with a new box.

Need to look into this heated nail technique...
So is mine, I never use it. I use my drill. I have the hand drill mounted in an old Sears Drill Press stand bought off eBay, and use masking tape to have a fixed speed.

You know you are drilling acrylic at the proper speed when it comes off in one piece. Which I've done and the holes are perfect then.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
So is mine, I never use it. I use my drill. I have the hand drill mounted in an old Sears Drill Press stand bought off eBay, and use masking tape to have a fixed speed.
I've wanted a stand for my drill for years. May need to look into that too. :)

You know you are drilling acrylic at the proper speed when it comes off in one piece. Which I've done and the holes are perfect then.
When you get that long screw-like ribbon, and it doesn't break until you find the other side. That's the drill hole you compare all the rest of them to.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've wanted a stand for my drill for years. May need to look into that too. :)

When you get that long screw-like ribbon, and it doesn't break until you find the other side. That's the drill hole you compare all the rest of them to.

Yeah I knew that already.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And now I know that you know that.
You may not have known, but I suspected you knew before I typed the above. Now any future readers will also know what we know, y'know? :biggrin:
I've posted extensively over time about how to drill into acrylic, what to get for tools etc etc.