Camel Spider in Southern Utah

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I came to Saint George Utah today and when we got there we went to a desert a little off the south mountains. I have caught a Scolopendra Polymorpha and almost a desert hairy scorpion but thats not what this is about. So i found a small camel spider about an inch long and i need to know lots of info on them because i really want to keep it.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Keep them dry, give them a hide (or several) so they can get away from the light, really good ventilation, feed maybe once a week. I've heard that using a fan that blows right into the enclosure helps a lot, but there's still a lot we don't know about keeping solfugids. Poke around here on AB a bit more and hopefully you'll find something. I tried to summarize what all I've read recently, but I don't have much experience with them and I'm in Illinois where there are no solfugids to be found ;)

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Keep them dry, give them a hide (or several) so they can get away from the light, really good ventilation, feed maybe once a week. I've heard that using a fan that blows right into the enclosure helps a lot, but there's still a lot we don't know about keeping solfugids. Poke around here on AB a bit more and hopefully you'll find something. I tried to summarize what all I've read recently, but I don't have much experience with them and I'm in Illinois where there are no solfugids to be found ;)
Alright thanks for the info.

---------- Post added 04-18-2015 at 09:30 AM ----------

Thanks for the very informational thread.

Last edited:

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
That's awesome to hear! I was in Saint George and Zion national park 3 weeks ago. Saw tons of true spiders and some burrows but no t's. Do you have a pic of the camel spider sp? Does anyone know what tarantula
Sp are typical of that area?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's awesome to hear! I was in Saint George and Zion national park 3 weeks ago. Saw tons of true spiders and some burrows but no t's. Do you have a pic of the camel spider sp? Does anyone know what tarantula
Try posting your tarantula question in the tarantula forum. More likely that someone who knows will answer there than in this subforum ;)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think if memory serves there are two species of Ts you can find in utah one being A. idious I had one that was a female for a bit but they don't tend to fair as well captive there have been issues getting viable captive bred slings in the past.and more info search for the above species in the forum.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron

There is the link to the camel spider. It is about 1 inch in length

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Appears to be an Eremobates, these require stable sandy substrate.

You'll need to mix sand and a little clay, saturate it, then let it dry. adding silt helps greatly in maintaining stability.

While you wait for it to dry, you can house her (it's a female) in a container with loose sand and something flat to hide under until the substrate is ready for her.

This is a good genus, they tend to do better in captivity than others.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Thanks smokehound. I have her in a 50/50 sand clay substrate. She has a little digout underneath a flat rock thats in there. But i have 1 question. She isnt eating, why is that? It is 72 degrees F in the room she is in.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
She may be getting ready for a molt. they molt in rapid succession, generally once or twice a month, though eremobates is known for taking a long time to complete molting.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
She may be getting ready for a molt. they molt in rapid succession, generally once or twice a month, though eremobates is known for taking a long time to complete molting.
Thats good to know, i was a little worried because i know they dont do too well in captivity but im almost certain she is due for a molt. Thank you for all your help.