Selection motivation

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
So I'm sitting around and I was thinking about my next T order. I was wondering how some of you make your selections. Does temperament play a role or is it cost. Are you trying to collect a species or do you only care about ones that you can handle (not trying to start a handling convo) ect. The reason I ask is I never considered getting a Genic until I found a few threads about them. So what's your process for new Ts.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hanging around arachnoboards usually narrows down my choices through discussion and information.

That's how I settled on Ceratogyrus.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I usually make sure it fits my experience level, and that I'm comfortable with owning it, and has to be visually appealing also, and I kinda have a thing for fast and feisty spiders, I also make sure I can afford it and have a wish list that I select from only.

I'm not much into NW terrestrials tough (I like a pet hole more than a pet rock, don't know why, and urticating bristles puts me off), only NW terrestrials I might own someday is ephebopus, a. Genic, pamphos, GBB, and maybe B. Albo.. I'm also very fond of aboreals (both OW and NW), they are my favourite, I find the colouration and body build very appealing, and I love OW terrestrials..

Last edited:

DarthT

Arachnopeon
Definitely an interesting question, and I think the answers will be as unique as our T collections. Personally, the next T I decide on has usually caught my attention somehow. Either seeing it for the first time, or reading something about it that intrigued me. After the initial interest, I evaluate things like environment it requires (making sure I can provide for it adequately), as well as cost, and possible species specifics like defensiveness, elusiveness, WC vs CB, etc.

I don't gravitate towards a particular genus, though some do. For me it's about the T and quirks that I find interesting. I only have 9 T's, so not the most diverse collection, but they are all special to me. I don't necessarily care about the rarity of a species, for instance one of the T's I really want to get (and will probably get next) is an Aphonopelma chalcodes. Very common, especially where I'm at in the US. Nonetheless, I am dying to get one!

I also can't wait to get my first b. smithi... I always thought they were beautiful, but the fact that they are a 'collection staple' does also add to it. Kind of like a rite of passage.

I've also made impulse/rescue buys, two of the T's I have I bought because I felt sorry for them because of the horrible condition the pet store was keeping them in (no hide, ridiculously sized water dish, shoved inside of a tiny container with no room to move, not to mention three hopping crickets shoved in there with it)

Anyways, good question, it's a fun topic to discuss.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
When I was making my selection for getting back into the hobby, I wanted something that would be neat for my stepkids, with easy husbandry, and colorful. GBB fit the bill perfectly. I don't see myself ever trying the OWs again, they just didn't suit me. I don't ever want anything that can teleport again; I'm of too neurotic a temperament to deal with it.

Really, knowing what species to get is as much knowing about yourself as it is knowing about the spiders.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I kinda have a theme of "around the world", I like have spiders that are from diverse habitats so I can see multiple different living styles. I only have 30 spiders but someone is always doing something, back when I had 1-3 I kinda forgot about them just because usually everyone was hiding. Probably is the reason why my versi lived though being my first tarantula cause I just kinda forget about it and don't fuss with it much. Of course I check if I can provide the best care for it and can afford it. I really want some haplos and aussie species but I am not sure if I would be up to caring for them so I keep less confrontational Asian OW and perhaps will get some in the future years. I also think of "okay if I get a male will I be able to find a home for him?", rosea, lp, obt etc are not in high demand so I'd be a bit stuck with the guy until he dies which is a waste in my eyes. I was able to find a home for my male GBB and am planning on sending off my (strongly) suspect male P.vitatta as I want him to be useful to someone.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
First looks, then attitude and adult sizes. Simple and to the point.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
If it's a giant,NW terrestrial,and I don't have it,but have the money,I buy it.Makes the decision to buy a lot simpler. I'm sure others are that way with Pokies,or Avics,too.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Looks, when I started I was concerned with experience but not so much now, and cost. I prefer pokies and African species. So they make up the majority of my purchases as of late.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I got my three based on research and I had the phobia and the B. Albo seemed like the best option, now I base my purchases on species and looks as well as research, temperament does not matter to me.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me the very 1st and most important aspect can I give it the right care. Secondly do I want one? If I answer yes to both these there is a 99% chance it will end up in my collection. Also I don't believe that cost comes into the equation as much as some people say because if you truly want a certain tarantula you will find a way to acquire it whether it's through trade, extra shifts at work etc. We all have ways and means of expanding our collections

awiec

Arachnoprince
For me the very 1st and most important aspect can I give it the right care. Secondly do I want one? If I answer yes to both these there is a 99% chance it will end up in my collection. Also I don't believe that cost comes into the equation as much as some people say because if you truly want a certain tarantula you will find a way to acquire it whether it's through trade, extra shifts at work etc. We all have ways and means of expanding our collections
Very much so, I wanted some more T.gigas so I traded a GBB for some. I keep a list in my mind of what spiders I wouldn't mind trading if there was something I really wanted and had low cash reserves.

GG80

Arachnoknight
First off, I'm with johnny with regards to cost. I am willing to pay more for a species I really want. However, my main concern when thinking about a new T is my experience level. There are plenty of species I hope to have in the future but I know I probably wouldn't be ready for them yet (I still want to enjoy this hobby rather than get aprehensive everytime I have to do maintainance) so I tend to go for the 'step by step' approach.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
First off, I'm with johnny with regards to cost. I am willing to pay more for a species I really want. However, my main concern when thinking about a new T is my experience level. There are plenty of species I hope to have in the future but I know I probably wouldn't be ready for them yet (I still want to enjoy this hobby rather than get aprehensive everytime I have to do maintainance) so I tend to go for the 'step by step' approach.
Agreed 100%. This is supposed to be a fun hobby not a source for anxiety and worry. I will pay more for one I really want, and I am wanting mostly NWs at this point.

awiec

Arachnoprince
So does anyone have a size preference that they start off with.
Depends on what species we are talking about, I prefer slings as I like to see the transformation and I'm confident in my baby spider raising technique. It also allows me to grow with the specimen, though the really slow growers I prefer a juvie or adult if possible but I have enough things in my life to keep me busy while I wait for my little specs to grow. Anything at .5 inches is fair game for me as I can just crush small crickets for them and not have to mess with termites/wood lice like I used to when I raised true spiders. Of course if there was a dwarf I wanted and it was an early instar I would find a way to feed it with cricket drumsticks.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like variety. My collection ranges from Brachys and Avics to Pokies and several different baboon species. I've got a pretty good balance of NW and OW species. I love Avics and I really hope after I acquire a few other species , I can start focusing exclusively on acquiring them. I personally love arboreals. I do tend to stick to certain genera when browsing tarantulas. I search through Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Avicularia, and Brachypelma just about every time. There's still several species from those that I would like to acquire. Every once in a while, I'll come across what I like to call an "Oddball Species", which is a tarantula that I have either never seen or heard of, or which I know little about. O.phillipinus for example. I only recently found out about this species, and am highly considering getting one soon if I can save up a bit. I don't think temperament really makes a difference to me, but price sure does. There's a reason I have yet to get a P.metallica or M.balfouri.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So does anyone have a size preference that they start off with.
I don't really have a size preference apart from all sizes are welcome. I have species from Brachypelma to a couple of baboons although some of my Brachypelma are on the rarer side and that's where my preference is a little different I love the rarer species I own B schroederi, Oligoxystre diamantinensis, Pamphobeteus sp mascara but the jewel in my collection is my adult female Thrixopelma sp cajamarca as for size I have a full spectrum