Millipede ID

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Found a few of these guys at a local park here in Delaware. Its just south of Philadelphia. I cant seem to find what they are online. All help is appreciated!

Damon

Thanks all!

---------- Post added 04-19-2015 at 03:37 PM ----------

I found Apheloria virginiensis that is almost exactly like this, but has a yellow band? Different species or just the color of the banding?

numbat1000

Arachnosquire
Definately an Apheloria virginiensis, but there are a few different subspecies. The ones in my area have red, but in a different pattern. This one could possibly be a virginiensis corrugata.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Thank you! I looked more closely at the handful I collected and found some have yellow bands and some have orange/red. We were actually searching for Narcius americanus, which also reside in this area, but only found these guys. Any idea why the Narcius is so elusive? Maybe time of year?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Thank you! I looked more closely at the handful I collected and found some have yellow bands and some have orange/red. We were actually searching for Narcius americanus, which also reside in this area, but only found these guys. Any idea why the Narcius is so elusive? Maybe time of year?
Ha. Reminds me of my search for a large native millipede in my area. You need to be persistent and check rocks, logs, and different locations also. They're just hard to find lol! And then when I found a really good spot there were a bunch of the millipede I was looking for but otherwise...none to speak of.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Ha. Reminds me of my search for a large native millipede in my area. You need to be persistent and check rocks, logs, and different locations also. They're just hard to find lol! And then when I found a really good spot there were a bunch of the millipede I was looking for but otherwise...none to speak of.
We checked just about everywhere for them. The "elusive" Narcius americanus!! Hopefully when it gets warmer they will be out more.