Anyone have a size chart or tarantula species?

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
I've looked around but can't find one. Does anyone have a chart that shows tarantula species size comparisons? Sort of like a side by side from smallest to largest?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Not really, there are hundreds of species and a lot of sizes are exaggerated, like people expecting a 12 inch Theraphosa when 9-10 inches (which is a freaking big spider) is the norm. Some of the pokie species are said to get to 9-10 inches but the biggest recorded one is 8.5 inches so size is a tricky thing.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
agreed.. you can find tons of pics of peoples T's next to something of comparable size like coins, bills and souffle cups.. but then theres always variables of how their taken.. if you find somone with many molts of MF's and will place them side by side with others ie pumpkin patch on the left and a few or many other sp in the mid with a nice sized Lasiodora or Theraphosa on the end.. by all means let us know im sure some of us would love to see [if theres like a meter stick on the bottom and a ruler in each side so we can see REAL size] but.. most people toss the molts and GL keeping the live T still without being in a cup and being scrunched up..

awiec

Arachnoprince
agreed.. you can find tons of pics of peoples T's next to something of comparable size like coins, bills and souffle cups.. but then theres always variables of how their taken.. if you find somone with many molts of MF's and will place them side by side with others ie pumpkin patch on the left and a few or many other sp in the mid with a nice sized Lasiodora or Theraphosa on the end.. by all means let us know im sure some of us would love to see [if theres like a meter stick on the bottom and a ruler in each side so we can see REAL size] but.. most people toss the molts and GL keeping the live T still without being in a cup and being scrunched up..
I have an adult female Thrix, she is over 5.5 inches but you wouldn't know it from how she holds herself especially if she decides to pretend to be a ball of dirt. While my C.darlingi looks massive but is 4 inches spread out but she just has a bulky build to make it seem otherwise.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I have an adult female Thrix, she is over 5.5 inches but you wouldn't know it from how she holds herself especially if she decides to pretend to be a ball of dirt. While my C.darlingi looks massive but is 4 inches spread out but she just has a bulky build to make it seem otherwise.
this is why i said molts too ;) tho im sure some of us wont complain with 40 pics cropped togeather all beside the same item [tho preferably a ruler lol

] i have a fm genic at probably 5" now but the way she sits she just looks alot bigger, she looks like a arachno-abrams tank XD as well as my phormic look more along the small side as it will sit semi scrunched yet stretched.. but when you walk them into a cup its like "whaaaat you have length to you?!" i too have a massive looking t [for its size] a little psalmo every time my buddy sees him he thinks 5" as hes in thick web but is kinda scrunched.. but when hes out its like 3.75" what trixie B-stards T's can be lmao can never get a good idea without using a molt or them in a cup.. and even then it varries without a ruler lol

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
+1 to all the above.

My B. albopilosum appears to have shrunk a bit after her last molt. She was much more spread out, and this molt, she's less inclined to stretch as much. Tried to get a shot of her beside a ruler, but she'd always have her legs a bit tucked. I gave up. She basically went from 4.25" to just under 4"....

Just waiting for her next, and hoping for a size change there. She'd mess with a chart big time. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This hobby is still relatively new and developing, & many of things that have been established for reptiles hasn't happened yet with spiders.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the info, and sorry for being away so long; I've been going through finals and working on my senior thesis on ISIS and their use of pop culture and social media (so exciting I know), but the good news is that I'm graduating college in a week! SOOO much stress will be off my shoulders.

Anyway, I understand that the legs can make it difficult to get accurate measures. So I was thinking, perhaps a better way would be to measure the main body of the spider instead? Perhaps from fang to spinnerets?

cold blood

Staff member
the good news is that I'm graduating college in a week!

Anyway, I understand that the legs can make it difficult to get accurate measures. So I was thinking, perhaps a better way would be to measure the main body of the spider instead? Perhaps from fang to spinnerets?
Congrats!!

In Europe its common to measure body length instead of DLS....I definitely thing DLS provides a better description of size....I know when I see body length its basically meaningless to me.