Paraphysa scrofa ( Chilean Cooper). And Chromatopelma cyaneo ( Green Bottle Blue) Help

Jason_73

Arachnopeon
I got it with my smithi's. He is 2 inches around. He keeps on staying on the side if the bigger kriiter keeper. Then when he wants to eat comes to the bottom eats goes back up. He is wild caught. Not cb. Plus the guy is going to give me his two Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ( Greeenbottle blues). He wants to move and can not take them with him. They are both unsexed and 1 inch around. I don't know nothing about them at all. In retrun I do not know if I should get the lil blues or not.:confused: There are mine if I want them he needs too know by this comming friday on the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Oh the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are cb.

Thanks
Jason

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Plus the guy is going to give me his two Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ( Greeenbottle blues). He wants to move and can not take them with him. They are both unsexed and 1 inch around. I don't know nothing about them at all. In retrun I do not know if I should get the lil blues or not.:confused: There are mine if I want them he needs too know by this comming friday on the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Oh the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are cb.
Another member recently acquired a 1" GBB -- you may enjoy that thread on housing and tips:http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?273069-GBB-Enclosure-*puts-on-flame-retardant-suit*

I have a female GBB sub-adult -- it a great T, beautiful when you can see it -- heavy webber.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I keep my p Scrofa bone dry with a water dish and overflow it occasionally. I don't know if it's right but I've had her a year and a half and she seems to be doing good.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I vote YES on the GBBs! Lovely spiders with interesting behavior and easy husbandry. What's not to like??

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i say go ahead and get the gbbs awesome animal, but i could always take them off your hands ;D lolol

as for staying on the side.. some just do that.. i have a genic who was never a side hugger but when i gave her cork background.. she loved it shes ALWAYS on the background especially when hungry she likes to "jump" for her roaches and grab them mid air[think theirs more satisfaction in catching it midair then letting it hit the ground and pouncing in her case lol].. but she has no problem staying on the ground when shes fed well or near molts or anything, she just has a virtical fettish lol... as well as i have 2 or 3 grammies who just sit with bellys on the glass/plastic for no reason, same temp every day, not to hot or cold in their tank or my room. they just like to be silly..

Last edited:

DarthT

Arachnopeon
I got it with my smithi's. He is 2 inches around. He keeps on staying on the side if the bigger kriiter keeper. Then when he wants to eat comes to the bottom eats goes back up...
Nothing to worry about.

I have a P. scrofa as well, and she likes to hang out on the side of her enclosure too. When I first got her, I was worried that she didn't like the substrate. However, it's coco fiber and bone dry. She comes down to eat, and occasionally drink, but after that it's right back up to the sides.

After reading through some old posts, I found a bunch of other people said the same thing about their scrofas - they like hanging out on the sides of the enclosure.

I have two WC adult females and they lay minimal webbings. Even molting mats were barely noticeable. They do prefer to hang out on the sides of their enclosures, while all of my G. rosea's stick to the peat on the ground while resting.
and another... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?194846-Vertical-Chilean-Copper-Paraphysa-scrofa&

Here is a pic of my scrofa I just took...

p. scrofa.jpg

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Has anyone set up a P. scofa as a semi arboreal to see what happened?

Jason_73

Arachnopeon
I will go pick to two GBBs this weekend. They sound interesting too have. Thanks for the info on the P. scrofa. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Yea you are right comes down to eat and once I saw him come down to drink. He whats me too take all of his T's . My god if I do that I will have total of 13 T's. I mite just do it. I have everything from my T's before. I just love T's. It will keep me hopping. lol

Thanks
Jason

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I will go pick to two GBBs this weekend. They sound interesting too have. Thanks for the info on the P. scrofa. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Yea you are right comes down to eat and once I saw him come down to drink. He whats me too take all of his T's . My god if I do that I will have total of 13 T's. I mite just do it. I have everything from my T's before. I just love T's. It will keep me hopping. lol

Thanks
Jason
DO IT!! COME TO THE DARK SIDE JASON... we have more fun here ;P thats not so many tho, i have 23, soon to be 25, and to do all maintenance including picking out my roaches and mealworms [im picky on the size of roach too so takes seemingly forever cuz i grab my herps food too] it takes me about 20 mins a week MAYBE.30 if iv got to hunt down a mini mealworm lol. its not as bad as it seems..and based off him wanting to get rid of them id guess there all new worlds.. but so long as he has no "Pterrors", pokies, taps or halps i think youl be fine ^_^..

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I will have total of 13 T's. I mite just do it. I have everything from my T's before. I just love T's.
I personally don't like the #13, I would suggest an extra one just to be sure you aren't cursed with bad luck.:wink:

Truthfully 9 t's isn't a whole lot different to care for than 15 or even 20.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a P. scrofa as well, and she likes to hang out on the side of her enclosure too. When I first got her, I was worried that she didn't like the substrate. However, it's coco fiber and bone dry. She comes down to eat, and occasionally drink, but after that it's right back up to the sides.
One reason is your set up, I really doubt they're arboreal. I don't think your spider likes it's cage and doesn't want to commit to living there. It's looking for something better. I don't see anything that looks like an underground retreat. All my arboreals (except Avics) make retreats at or under surface level. Your substrate is also too shallow: the spider could fall and land on a hard object, and split it's abdomen.

What's the lid made of? If it's screen, they can chew thru that, and they have too much air flow and therefore little microclimate.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I personally don't like the #13, I would suggest an extra one just to be sure you aren't cursed with bad luck.:wink:

Truthfully 9 t's isn't a whole lot different to care for than 15 or even 20.
Yeah I have 12 Ts and it takes me 10 minutes at most to do maintenance, feeding and watering :)

DarthT

Arachnopeon
One reason is your set up, I really doubt they're arboreal. I don't think your spider likes it's cage and doesn't want to commit to living there. It's looking for something better. I don't see anything that looks like an underground retreat. All my arboreals (except Avics) make retreats at or under surface level. Your substrate is also too shallow: the spider could fall and land on a hard object, and split it's abdomen.

What's the lid made of? If it's screen, they can chew thru that, and they have too much air flow and therefore little microclimate.

Thanks for the response. I definitely want to make sure I have the right set up for my T.

The picture was taken from an upward angle, so it’s distorted slightly. First for the substrate, my T is just under 3” and the gap from roof to substrate is 4.5”. I try to measure out the gap to 1.5 times the size of the T, or less.

Do you think more substrate would be safer in this case?

here's a slightly better pic
IMG_3253.jpg

For the lid, I have the underside of it covered in coroplast. It’s sturdy, insulated, and I have not yet had a T chew through it (though I only have a couple of years experience, so not saying it couldn’t happen). I have air holes through the flip lid, it's not the prettiest, it seals it off nicely.
IMG_3267.jpg

I do have a retreat, the picture angle cut that as well, but it’s slightly above ground level.

I’ll try adding more substrate to give her a better hide.

Under ther cork bark the substrate slants down.
IMG_3236.jpg

Not being comfortable in your own home would be incredibly stressful. I want all my T's to be happy, so any more advice on the enclosure would be much appreciated.

cold blood

Staff member
First for the substrate, my T is just under 3” and the gap from roof to substrate is 4.5”. I try to measure out the gap to 1.5 times the size of the T, or less.
I'm calling you on this part;)

I can see from the pic of the t on the window that there is easily enough room for a second t of the same size below it and another 1/2 above it...I'd say its 2.5X the height of the t....yes, I'd add another 3" or so of sub. Otherwise the hide looks good, as does the rest from what I see. Just pinch out that spot of mold forming below the "grass" patch you have in there.;)

Nice handle, I'm a gigantic Star Wars nerd. :worship:

DarthT

Arachnopeon
I'm calling you on this part;):
Yeah, good call there. Talk about sloppy math. :eek: Guesstimating is apparently not one of my strong suits.

I'm adding more substrate today. Will update with another pic. Hopefully she will feel comfortable enough to stay off the sides.

Nice handle, I'm a gigantic Star Wars nerd.:
Thanks, and same here! My T shelves are all topped with Star Wars paraphernalia.