Andrea's Tarantula Tips

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Occasionally, on Instagram, I will do a little write up here and there on very basic information on tarantulas to help at least a couple of people who don't really know anything or who never decided to do research or, for some reason, figured they didn't need to. A lot of it is my personal opinion, or things I believe are extremely basic, helpful, safety tips. I believe no one is an expert and no one has to listen to me, but little tips of advice just to help nudge people along or refresh their memory is always welcome. I also believe people should be allowed to experiment with setups, substrates, etc. at their leisure as they gain more understanding and knowledge. So, like I said, often my tips are for upmost for beginners until they gain more experience. I thought I'd share some of them with you and catch a few opinions. Please be nice to me. I'm not trying to force my opinions down others throats or give out free information to people who never did research. Rather, hopefully catch their attention and interest here and there so they'll want to do more digging on their own. Spark some inspiration, if you will, and save a couple of T's from potentially dangerous situations. Some may think it's pointless to do this, but I have helped several people so far and I think it's fun to do it. Most people seem very thankful. I hope you enjoy:

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: NEVER USE MESH TOPS ON YOUR ENCLOSURES! For multiple reasons: ✔1.) Your tarantula can chew through it. Yes. Even though it's metal. They will bend it back & forth until it breaks.✔ ✔2.) If it isn't clamped, they can push it open. ✔ ✔3.) If their legs get stuck in the mesh, they can loose a limb. ✔ ✔4.) Potentially fatal fall if you don't have an adequate amount of substrate or have dangerous decorations in the enclosure.✔"

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: NEVER TRUST CARE SHEETS OR PET SHOPS WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR TARANTULA! They will often lead you astray. Most care sheets you find on google or even receive in the pet shop can have devastating information when it comes to the health and safety of your tarantula. Even most pet shops, local and chain, will seem confident on how to care for your T. Or even try and force you to buy things that are not necessary and can be dangerous, such as heat lamps, mats, gel water crystals, etc. DO NOT TRUST THEM! This goes back to my tip a few weeks ago, "RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!!" Look at multiple sources that are CREDIBLE! Don't believe everything you hear. Listen to other people's experiences. Even some sites with care information may seem like they are knowledgeable or legitimate. Often times they are not. Read. Read. Read!! Ask for opinions and help from MULTIPLE people, even! Because you know what? Not a single one of us is an expert on tarantulas. ✌"

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP:
RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! Find credible resources. Read everything you can. Don't take every single thing you read to heart. Two good, easy places to start:
1.) The Tarantula Keepers Guide - by Stanley Schultz (get the most recent edition). Some of his information is a little extreme or I don't completely agree with for certain situations, but it's a wonderful book for every single person who keeps tarantulas.
2.) Arachnoboards.com - Love it or hate it, this site has tons of priceless information floating around. Learn to lurk and use the search function and you'll quickly be filled with tarantula knowledge."

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: Always provide fresh, clean water. Never offer a sponge, cotton, or gel water crystals. Well, unless you like lots of nasty, moldy bacteria and a dehydrated tarantula.  "

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: if it's carapace can fit, it's body can fit. So watch how big you make air holes for slings in deli cups and vials. Also don't transfer into a kritter keeper too early. You'd be surprised what they can squeeze through. "

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: When using mealworms as prey, *smoosh their head first. That way they won't burrow, but will still wiggle around. If they burrow, there's a potential threat to your tarantula when it molts and later on you won't have to wonder why you have beetles running around your enclosure. Also, one time my MF Brachypelma vagans got chewed on her chelicerae by a mealworm WHILE she was eating it. It left damage. BE CAREFUL!!"

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIPS: NEVER feed wild caught prey!!!! Here's why :
1.) Pesticides
2.) Parasites
3.) Some insects have natural toxins inside them that are used as a defense mechanism that will poison your tarantula.
4.) You never REALLY know where that bug came from or where it has been."

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP:
Avicularia - Don't over think humidity. Pay attention to ventilation. Avics are NOT more delicate than other species. Where people go wrong is they aren't providing enough ventilation. VENTILATION IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Most of the time, people are unknowingly drowning their tarantula in stagnant, humid air. Lightly wet the substrate (I don't believe in misting), let dry out within a week or so, re wet. Provide water dish. Cross ventilation and plenty of air holes is key. There is no such thing as Sudden Avic Death Syndrome (SADS or w/e) Your tarantula drowned."

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP : **FOR TERRESTRIAL SPECIES** The top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure should not exceed the T's legspan (or 1.5 the legspan). THIS IS IMPORTANT as even a fall from a short distance WILL KILL your tarantula. Ruptured abdomens, unseen internal damage, falling on decorations in the enclosure, etc. Be careful if you handle your tarantula as well. Always hold it close to the ground. Do extensive enclosure maintenance on the ground. Don't risk your tarantulas life."

"*found photo of cricket on internet*
ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: When using crickets as prey, cut off the females #ovipositor. That is how she lays her eggs. Often times I see people panicked because suddenly their enclosure is overrun with tiny bugs. No need to fret! It could just be baby crickets! There is no need to clean or change out the enclosure. They will drown themselves in the water dish. Problem solved! To keep that from happening, snip off the females ovipositor; the long pokey bit coming out of her butt. It's how she lays her eggs.
And as always, remove any and all uneaten prey within 24 hours. Crickets can pose a threat to your tarantula. Or you can smoosh their heads. But I prefer my crickets alive."

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: HAPLOPELMA - ✔Always provide a MINIMUM of 7" of substrate for an adult. Always provide more if possible. This could explain why you have an extra defensive H. lividum or one that runs around its enclosure and threat poses all the time. It's stressed out due to wrong / not enough substrate. If it's settled in and comfortable, it should just run into its burrow. ✔✔Also, when first housing your tarantula, provide a good starter burrow anywhere you'd like a couple of inches in width and depth. Your tarantula should take to it within a couple of days.✔✔ How do you keep the humidity up for this species? I pour water straight into the substrate and let it completely dry out in the next week or so. Don't drown out your tarantula or make it too swampy, though.✔✔ You'd like to see your pet hole more frequently? There are different methods you can use for DIY enclosures to help you view your tarantula. Search around and see what's right for you. ✔✔ How do you know if it's molting? You generally don't. However, frequently, they will Web up their burrows to notify they'd like to be left alone. Don't try feeding again until it opens back up and/or you see its toesies sticking out.✔ That should about cover it."

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP:
NEVER use wood chips, gravel, sand, or vermiculite as substrate. Here's why: ➡Wood Chips - can harm or kill your tarantula. It is abrasive with sharp edges. Puncture wound possible if your tarantula falls. Your T can not burrow in it, etc. Cedar is also toxic to tarantulas. ➡Sand - Sure there are desert dwelling tarantulas. That DOES NOT MEAN the sand you buy at the store is the same they live on in their natural habitat. It will (potentially) enter the joints of your tarantula. It is also abrasive. It does not hold a stable structure for burrowing. ➡Gravel - Not stable, can't burrow, potentially fatal if tarantula climbs and falls. ➡Vermiculite - Does not hold water, unstable, potentially entering venerable areas of your tarantula. ‼I recommend the use of coco fibre, peat moss, and organic soil. Or a mixture of the three."

Side Note: Often when I say NEVER in the picture, it's to grab attention. I have been known to use vermiculite and sand in my enclosures. Substrates can be played with. But this is for the extremely basic, safety setup for novice keepers.

"ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: HOLDING YOUR TARANTULA! There is a large debate in the community regarding whether or not you should hold your tarantula. I believe it is the up to each hobbyists own discretion whether or not they decide to hold their own T. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:
✅Every single tarantula has its own, individual personality. ✅
✅Every single tarantula is unpredictable. Just because it has always been chill and docile, doesn't mean today it won't decide to run off or bite you. Which means you always need to... ✅
✅hold your tarantula as close to the ground as possible. EVEN A FALL FROM A SHORT DISTANCE WILL KILL YOUR TARANTULA! ✅
✅when trying to pick up your tarantula, never FORCE it to do anything. Gently coax it. If it doesn't want to go, leave it and try again later. Don't poke and prod it. ✅
✅if you or your tarantula gets harmed, it is always 100% YOUR fault. No excuses. ✅
✅don't breathe on your tarantula or blow air at her. ✅
✅move slow and steady, but confidently. ✅
✅have a catch cup ready in case of escape✅
✅Please don't "pinch grab method" your tarantula unless it is completely necessary. More reason to drop it and stress it out. ✅
✅Make sure no one is going to accidentally surprise or scare you or your T. Be in a safe, quiet area. ✅
✅Turn off your phone. ✅
✅Don't be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. ✅
My personal feelings:
I have been keeping tarantulas for 7 years. I have not held a tarantula in at least five of those years (not on purpose, at least. Lol) I believe it stresses them out. Neither tarantula nor hobbyists benefit from handling. There is too much danger and room for error involved. I do not believe your tarantula "enjoys" being handled. They are delicate, beautiful creatures that deserve our respect and prefer to have their own, personal space. It is your decision to hold your pet or not, just remember, if you're going to take that risk, make sure you are willing to accept all possible consequences."

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Nice tips, personally at the tip of the mesh lid I would add what effect it has on formation of micro-climate as well :) And maybe some tips on beginner species as well ;)

DarthT

Arachnopeon
Love the tips... the pics are awesome, and help draw the attention in! Very beneficial for beginners, especially with all the misinformation out there. I also like how you mentioned the fact that you have not held your tarantulas, except when necessary, and that it does nothing for them.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vermiculite does hold water. Quite well actually. Though I don't use it as (or as a component of) a tarantula substrate personally.
Oh. Oops. See? This is what ya'll are for. :biggrin:

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 02:17 PM ----------

Nice tips, personally at the tip of the mesh lid I would add what effect it has on formation of micro-climate as well :) And maybe some tips on beginner species as well ;)
Thank you for your opinion. I will consider that for the next time I rewrite that one. I'm trying to kind of circulate them here & again so new followers or people who missed them can have a chance to catch it. :)

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 02:19 PM ----------

Love the tips... the pics are awesome, and help draw the attention in! Very beneficial for beginners, especially with all the misinformation out there. I also like how you mentioned the fact that you have not held your tarantulas, except when necessary, and that it does nothing for them.
I try to give them as reasonable and multi-viewed an answer as possible, knowing other people will or will not agree with me.
And glad you like the pictures! It's one of my favorite parts. Getting to super mess up and glam up some of my favorite tarantulas. Haha

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 02:29 PM ----------

Nice tips, personally at the tip of the mesh lid I would add what effect it has on formation of micro

I totally did make a beginner T one. It isn't that great, though and not so many people really agreed with me & at some point I had to reiterate that it's my own personal opinion. lol But here it is:

ANDREA'S TARANTULA TIP: My picks for best beginner tarantulas! -Euathlus sp red -Brachypelma albopilosom -Grammostola pulchra -Avicularia avicularia -Grammostola rosea
All (except Avicularia avicularia) are kept on dry substrate with a water dish in a terrestrial setup. Avicularia is basically the complete opposite of all of them. Avics require an arboreal set up and a good balance of humidity and ventilation. All are GENERALLY docile species. Keep in mind, every tarantula is an individual and has it's own personality. You may get the freak Rose Hair that's scarier than anyone's angriest OBT. It happens.

Last edited:

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Have to agree on the pictures, I think they can draw a lot of attention, which is cool. It also gives the impression that owning a tarantula is fun

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

I agree with your beginner choices, except for the avic avic and maybe rosea. Since avics are sensitive to husbandry, well I guess if correct care information is passed on it won't be so difficult for newbs to care for them, there was a newcomer on here that actually did some good research for avic husbandry before they got one.. and for roseas since they have mood swings and may fast months on end for no reason which could be quite frustrating to a newb.. but all in all looks good IMO :)

Last edited:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have to agree on the pictures, I think they can draw a lot of attention, which is cool. It also gives the impression that owning a tarantula is fun

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

I agree with your beginner choices, except for the avic avic and maybe rosea. Since avics are sensitive to husbandry, well I guess if correct care information is passed on it won't be so difficult for newbs to care for them, there was a newcomer on here that actually did some good research for avic husbandry before they got one.. and for roseas since they have mood swings and maay fast months on end for no reason which could be quite frustrating to a newb.. but all in all looks good IMO :)
Mostly picked avic avic because my first two tarantulas were Avics. And you can find them everywhere, cheaply. G. rosea, also because they are cheap and readily available. The others, because they're the most docile T's I own in my collection and I rarely hear bad things from them, if ever.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Mostly picked avic avic because my first two tarantulas were Avics. And you can find them everywhere, cheaply. G. rosea, also because they are cheap and readily available. The others, because they're the most docile T's I own in my collection and I rarely hear bad things from them, if ever.
To each their own I guess, but the other recommendations are perfect for beginners :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
It depends on the person really. I got an avic as my first tarantula and I kept it like my orchids, still with me almost 2 years later. Your list is of relatively cheap and common species even if I don't like rosea. I have a spider who is probably the perfect starter tarantula but is very hard to find and is very threatened in the wild so something like a grammostola is a much better choice for availability.

cold blood

Staff member
Seems like to took a lot of time to help out others, I applaud you for that. Good posts so far helping you further. I think you did a pretty darn good job overall.

One thing I don't get, and I feel isn't even worth you mentioning, is the removal of the ovipositor on female crickets. I just don't see the point of this as the danger is ridiculously low...probably a better chance of being hit by lightning twice on the way home than have an issue with an intact female cricket. Plus, who wants to fondle their female crickets before feeding? Not me:)

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems like to took a lot of time to help out others, I applaud you for that. Good posts so far helping you further. I think you did a pretty darn good job overall.

One thing I don't get, and I feel isn't even worth you mentioning, is the removal of the ovipositor on female crickets. I just don't see the point of this as the danger is ridiculously low...probably a better chance of being hit by lightning twice on the way home than have an issue with an intact female cricket. Plus, who wants to fondle their female crickets before feeding? Not me:)
I never remove the ovipositor, tbh. I mention it, because some people aren't aware this even happens. It's happened to me several times. But figured for the overly paranoid, it could be worth mentioning and giving a solution to. Or at least if it happens in the future, they'll know at least, what's going on. Very first time it happened to me, with my first tarantula, I absolutely panicked. Haha

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I never remove the ovipositor, tbh. I mention it, because some people aren't aware this even happens. It's happened to me several times. But figured for the overly paranoid, it could be worth mentioning and giving a solution to. Or at least if it happens in the future, they'll know at least, what's going on. Very first time it happened to me, with my first tarantula, I absolutely panicked. Haha
I just remove baby crickets I find in the enclosures and throw them in the cricket tub, more food for my slings :) I also panicked the first time it happened to me :p

cold blood

Staff member
I just remove baby crickets I find in the enclosures and throw them in the cricket tub, more food for my slings :) I also panicked the first time it happened to me :p
You unnecessary worriers :laugh: I was it happen once, I did nothing, they all died out quickly and I basically forgot about them.

Mentioning it is good, because like you mentioned, a lot of newer keepers don't know a ton about the t, even fewer educate themselves on their prey items. Being able to tell male from female is good to know...makes it easier to feed out the noisy ones first.

But while mentioning it is very good, mentioning it as a danger or a "never", really just makes some people more nervous about their feeders than they need to be. Just my 2 cents anyway.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah. And this one was a participation one I made using a picture old setups I had before I knew better (because we were all n00bs) Showed them the picture and asked to name five things wrong. A couple of hours later, I gave them my answer:

Okay. You're all entitled to your own opinions. However, I'm going by what I feel is the most current, safest, fool-proof beginner setup should look like for an adult terrestrial species. #5 is kind of a give or take.
1.) All three enclosures have too much height and not enough substrate. (rule: 1.5 x the tarantulas legspan in space)
2.) Enclosures "B" & "C" have mesh lids. The tarantula can chew it open, loose a limb, fall and die, or push it open without clamps. Mesh tops just shouldn't be used period.
3.) Fresh, clean water needs to be provided at all times.
4.) Enclosure "C" has way too much leg room. (rule: 3 x legspan) Tarantulas don't like a lot of space. It stresses them out. Plus, they don't really utilize it, anyway. If they are constantly exploring (MMs being an exception) there's probably other issues with the set up.
5a.) Give or take. My opinion. Dangerous, hard, sharp decorations for the tarantula to get stuck in or fall on.
5b.) Give or take. Gel water crystals next to the enclosure. Potentially to be used on the tarantulas. Bacteria harboring and does nothing for the tarantula.

---------- Post added 04-20-2015 at 05:15 PM ----------

You unnecessary worriers [emoji23] I was it happen once, I did nothing, they all died out quickly and I basically forgot about them.

Mentioning it is good, because like you mentioned, a lot of newer keepers don't know a ton about the t, even fewer educate themselves on their prey items. Being able to tell male from female is good to know...makes it easier to feed out the noisy ones first.

But while mentioning it is very good, mentioning it as a danger or a "never", really just makes some people more nervous about their feeders than they need to be. Just my 2 cents anyway.
That makes sense. Sometimes over thinking anything with Ts puts them at more risk. Over caring to death. Bahaha

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Good concept. A few suggested changes:

- I'd mention both screen and mesh lids.
- I'd reword it to say: 'If it's carapace can fit thru a hole, so can the rest of the spider.'
- It's not just care sheets and pet stores that dispense poor advice, so do some tarantula books.
- I use superworms and don't 'smosh' their heads; I take them out within seconds (with forceps) if the spider doesn't grab them. What about: 'Never let mealworms/superworms roam your spider's cage.'
- 'Avicularia: Don't overdo moisture. Moist, stuffy cages kill Avics.' The 'overthink' part won't be understood by many people.
- I go thru several thousand adult crickets a month; I've never cut off ovipositors in over 40 years. Not practical or necessary. There's more important advice than this. I usually don't have baby crickets in my cages either. I feed my spiders when they're hungry, and crickets don't get much time to get in trouble.
- I have I have 5 species of Haplopelma, and none have 7" of substrate. Makes the cages too heavy and they really don't need it. They're happy with several inches of moist substrate and a slanted piece of cork to hide under.
- Best beginner T's should not include Avics, as too many are killed by beginners (look at all the 'My Dead Avic' threads in any tarantula forum). Also, rosea's long fasts and mood swings are not a good idea for a first spider. Adults are cheap, but there's more important qualities to species selection than that.
- Any handling advice should be: 'Don't do it.'

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good concept. A few suggested changes:

- I'd mention both screen and mesh lids.
- I'd reword it to say: 'If it's carapace can fit thru a hole, so can the rest of the spider.'
- It's not just care sheets and pet stores that dispense poor advice, so do some tarantula books.
- I use superworms and don't 'smosh' their heads; I take them out within seconds (with forceps) if the spider doesn't grab them. What about: 'Never let mealworms/superworms roam your spider's cage.'
- 'Avicularia: Don't overdo moisture. Moist, stuffy cages kill Avics.' The 'overthink' part won't be understood by many people.
- I go thru several thousand adult crickets a month; I've never cut off ovipositors in over 40 years. Not practical or necessary. There's more important advice than this. I usually don't have baby crickets in my cages either. I feed my spiders when they're hungry, and crickets don't get much time to get in trouble.
- I have I have 5 species of Haplopelma, and none have 7" of substrate. Makes the cages too heavy and they really don't need it. They're happy with several inches of moist substrate and a slanted piece of cork to hide under.
- Best beginner T's should not include Avics, as too many are killed by beginners (look at all the 'My Dead Avic' threads in any tarantula forum). Also, rosea's long fasts and mood swings are not a good idea for a first spider. Adults are cheap, but there's more important qualities to species selection than that.
- Any handling advice should be: 'Don't do it.'
I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely consider them for my next rewrites. Thank you very much. :)
My main concern with the meal worms and smooshing their heads, is because my large B. vagans got a pretty nasty chew mark on her from one. Kind of blew my mind. I guess she was holding it just right. But creeped me out enough. I rarely feed mealworms. Maybe once every 6 months or so. But now it's a concern I've got, especially if it's a smaller T.
And I don't believe in handling at all, but knowing people are going to do it regardless of what anyone says, I decided to provide at least some safety advice and then also tell them why they shouldn't. So maybe (hopefully?) they'd re think or re consider it next time they have the "urge" to handle. Or in the very least, be more cautious.
And the ovipositor, I've never cut it off. I think that day I was bored and couldn't think of a topic and saw someone concerned about the "strange bugs" in their water dish. Instant inspiration. At least there's a few more people aware of it now. :/

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely consider them for my next rewrites. Thank you very much. :)
My main concern with the meal worms and smooshing their heads, is because my large B. vagans got a pretty nasty chew mark on her from one. Kind of blew my mind. I guess she was holding it just right. But creeped me out enough. I rarely feed mealworms. Maybe once every 6 months or so. But now it's a concern I've got, especially if it's a smaller T.
And I don't believe in handling at all, but knowing people are going to do it regardless of what anyone says, I decided to provide at least some safety advice and then also tell them why they shouldn't. So maybe (hopefully?) they'd re think or re consider it next time they have the "urge" to handle. Or in the very least, be more cautious.
And the ovipositor, I've never cut it off. I think that day I was bored and couldn't think of a topic and saw someone concerned about the "strange bugs" in their water dish. Instant inspiration. At least there's a few more people aware of it now. :/
Mealworms and superworms should hopefully be an occasional treat, not the foundation of their diet. If you kill the mealworm/superworm and the spider doesn't eat it, you have a smelly dead insect. Kind of a pointless death. I'd rather 'recycle' them. From my experience, if the spider's going to eat one (and many won't) it'll usually dive on it.

For the sake of the hobby's future, we need to discourage handling. I know we're not going to stop everyone, but it's an old school freak show stunt that doesn't belong in today's political and legal climate. "Look at me with the big hairy spider walking on me!" The mix of tarantula species has changed radically from the early days of handling. Most species were the calmer NW terrestrials; but in the 1990's an influx of high strung NW tropicals came into the hobby. In the mid 2000's OW's surged in popularity. The majority of species in the hobby today are too high strung, fast, defensive, or potent to consider handling them. Most of the public misses these distinctions, and thinks they all can be handled with impunity. That mindset needs to change. We can make the effort to keep the hobby from self-destructing, or we can sit by and watch it happen. I'd rather be proactive.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mealworms and superworms should hopefully be an occasional treat, not the foundation of their diet. If you kill the mealworm/superworm and the spider doesn't eat it, you have a smelly dead insect. Kind of a pointless death. I'd rather 'recycle' them. From my experience, if the spider's going to eat one (and many won't) it'll usually dive on it.

For the sake of the hobby's future, we need to discourage handling. I know we're not going to stop everyone, but it's an old school freak show stunt that doesn't belong in today's political and legal climate. "Look at me with the big hairy spider walking on me!" The mix of tarantula species has changed radically from the early days of handling. Most species were the calmer NW terrestrials; but in the 1990's an influx of high strung NW tropicals came into the hobby. In the mid 2000's OW's surged in popularity. The majority of species in the hobby today are too high strung, fast, defensive, or potent to consider handling them. Most of the public misses these distinctions, and thinks they all can be handled with impunity. That mindset needs to change. We can make the effort to keep the hobby from self-destructing, or we can sit by and watch it happen. I'd rather be proactive.
Understandable. It's unfortunate that I hear too often of, for example, a pet store that has a "rose hair tarantula" for sale and it turns out to be a P. murinus or something along those lines and the employees will attempt to handle, thinking it's venom is "like a bee sting" or allow a customer to handle. All it takes is the wrong person getting bit or someone with a weaker system getting bit in the right spot one time and having a worse than typical reaction, or unknowingly allowing a small child to handle and things go wrong, and the hobby itself could come crumbling down around us. Even something not nearly that bad, or a rumor in the wrong hands. It wouldn't take much. Look at the other hobbies that involves venomous animals. We definitely need to make sure to educate as many as possible. But not many are willing to listen, unfortunately.
Excuse me if I just wrote a bunch of incomplete jibberish. I'm at work and on my phone trying to sneak replies. Lol I hope what I was trying to say came across.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Understandable. It's unfortunate that I hear too often of, for example, a pet store that has a "rose hair tarantula" for sale and it turns out to be a P. murinus or something along those lines and the employees will attempt to handle, thinking it's venom is "like a bee sting" or allow a customer to handle. All it takes is the wrong person getting bit or someone with a weaker system getting bit in the right spot one time and having a worse than typical reaction, or unknowingly allowing a small child to handle and things go wrong, and the hobby itself could come crumbling down around us. Even something not nearly that bad, or a rumor in the wrong hands. It wouldn't take much. Look at the other hobbies that involves venomous animals. We definitely need to make sure to educate as many as possible. But not many are willing to listen, unfortunately.

That's scary when people, especially parents, get a tarantula so they and the family can handle it (because they see it on TV and videos), and have no idea that most species aren't happy about that.

Last edited:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's scary when people, especially parents, get a tarantula so they and the family can handle it (because they see it on TV and videos), and have no that most species aren't happy about that.
It's all pretty scary. Which we're pretty lucky right now, because our hobby isn't much on the radar as it's still a fairly new thing and our "spiders" tend to get over looked, anyway, I'd imagine, =not that I know much about what I'm even ranting about right now, tbh) as far as exotic pets go. But, as a community, we should use this time to educate as many as possible and prevent higher ups from trying to really ban and take away our pets (or whatever you'd like to call them) which we're still trying to even learn about as their natural habitats are getting destroyed and they're going extinct in the wild. Between that and hybridization, etc. We're just trying to protect and learn about these ancient creatures. They are beautiful, fascinating. I'd really hate some nieve person messing up and grabbing too much media attention and wrecking it for everyone. The time we have now is valuable. They'll come for our hobby soon, as they have with other exotics in the past. Constant over exaggerations in the papers, etc. It does no one any good, and we'll be loosing valuable time we have to properly identify or potentially save what true tarantulas we have. My tarantulas are the only thing I am passionate about. Spiders, bugs in general.

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. I'm on my phone. I need to just not try to respond unless I've got a computer in front of me so I can re read what I write easier. I apologize for my rant. I'm just passionate and hate to see the opportunity we have, as an entire community, go to waste.