Steak eating T

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I was watching T videos on you tube and found a video of a guy throwing what looked like chunks of meat into the enclosure. I've read that slings will scavenge smashed crickets but I don't remember reading anywhere about hunks of meat. But then again I found a video of a T diving in a bathtub and that goes against everything I've read so maybe there's a few species that like meat wads.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know a guy that has reported good results feeding slings tiny bits of canned cat food in lieu of cut up insect parts.

Last edited:

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
This guy was doing it with adults but interesting about the cat food with slings and was he doing with all his slings or only certain ones.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
was he doing with all his slings or only certain ones.[/QUOTE]

I don't accurately recall. I'm thinking he was feeding hatchlings that way.

Ianpcfauna

Arachnopeon
When I was in middle school I had an A. geniculata that I fed a chunk of raw steak! I have not done it since. Was pretty cool though!

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Since we have no real idea what a Ts actual nutritional requirements, feeding them something so far off from their natural diet seems unwise to me.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I remember a thread here on AB where someone as an experiment fed his sling with a ball made of fish food.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Since we have no real idea what a Ts actual nutritional requirements, feeding them something so far off from their natural diet seems unwise to me.
+1 although my dream T would be one that feeds primarily on whole cows and similar size prey!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't see the need to do it either. But that said, I don't think a "hunk of meat" is going to be that much different nutritionally for a tarantula than eating small vertebrates. Things like rodents, bats, frogs, etc.. which happens in nature sometimes depending on the species.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I don't see the need to do it either. But that said, I don't think a "hunk of meat" is going to be that much different nutritionally for a tarantula than eating small vertebrates. Things like rodents, bats, frogs, etc.. which happens in nature sometimes depending on the species.
A chunk of meat is a chunk of meat but people seem to forget that meat in the US has a lot of sodium, artificial colors etc that may be harmful for a spider. But I suppose if you are in a pinch then a little chunk of meat would do, just make sure to clean your cage out before things go rancid.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
A chunk of meat is a chunk of meat but people seem to forget that meat in the US has a lot of sodium, artificial colors etc that may be harmful for a spider. But I suppose if you are in a pinch then a little chunk of meat would do, just make sure to clean your cage out before things go rancid.
A chunk of meat also lack any internal organs etc. so it's not even close to a whole small animal nutritionally.

awiec

Arachnoprince
A chunk of meat also lack any internal organs etc. so it's not even close to a whole small animal nutritionally.
Which I why I wouldn't feed it personally but if you are desperate or just morbidly curious, feeding a spider a little chunk of meat once won't harm them. Though this thread reminds me of the times I've seen spiders scurrying off with dog food, I don't think of that having a complete nutrient profile but they liked taking it anyway.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Which I why I wouldn't feed it personally but if you are desperate or just morbidly curious, feeding a spider a little chunk of meat once won't harm them. Though this thread reminds me of the times I've seen spiders scurrying off with dog food, I don't think of that having a complete nutrient profile but they liked taking it anyway.
I don't know. I mean the key of making fruit flies viable as an only food source for spiderlings is adding dog food to the growing medium. Maybe our Ts would grow fast and huge if we fed them dog food.:giggle:
Or maybe they would just start barking...:laugh:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
In the early days of the hobby chunks of beef heart were recommended as a food source for tarantulas. Just a useless factoid I've picked up along the way.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Do you think they dont eat vertebrates in the wild? The only problematic meat I could think of would be pork meat because of all the fat, but I dont think we know how they prpcess their food yet. Then again, meat from stores is full of crap.which would probably influence the T in a negative way.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Do you think they dont eat vertebrates in the wild? The only problematic meat I could think of would be pork meat because of all the fat, but I dont think we know how they prpcess their food yet. Then again, meat from stores is full of crap.which would probably influence the T in a negative way.
There's "vertebrates" and then there's "farm-raised cattle." I am pretty sure cows are not in their natural diet, and there's a world of difference between one and a small mouse or frog. And, as you said, the additives would be concerning. I mean, as always, YMMV, but I wouldn't do it.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
Lol I'm starting to gather that my amazement and disbelief in this was due to my newbie status. Lol I love this hobby!
I don't think meat wads are on the menu for my guys but if I do it I'll post.

---------- Post added 04-22-2015 at 12:42 PM ----------

So if they eat carrion do they scavenge carcasses in the wild.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Aaww come on.... Growth hormones for giant T's. We might have spiders taking down cows before too long. ;)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I don't know. I mean the key of making fruit flies viable as an only food source for spiderlings is adding dog food to the growing medium. Maybe our Ts would grow fast and huge if we fed them dog food.:giggle:
Or maybe they would just start barking...:laugh:
Funny you should mention that. I gut-load my crickets with Blue Buffalo cat food (high quality, lots of protein and vitamins, no nasty fillers). Ended up doing a little experiment and started feeding a few of my slings these gut-loaded crickets as much as they would take. My GBB was the most receptive to this experiment and accepted food virtually every day until it got the point where I needed to stop feeding it for fear of it getting obese or its abdomen bursting. At that point I stopped and waited to see what would happen. Normally it molts every two months or so. By doing this, it molted within 4 weeks of its previous molt.

I'm saving up right now to get a large order of new slings. When I get them I'm thinking that I'll do this experiment again and actually keep notes and records on their development compared to slings being fed the way I normally do (once or twice a week). It should be interesting. :D

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I feed my crix quality dry cat food as well. However, The Luggage still hasn't molted, even though she has been clearly in pre-molt for the last week or so. I'm awaiting her molt eagerly as I'm hoping to get one I can sex... *fingers crossed*