Never get complacent.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I was busy today and had to rush off in a hurry but noticed my B. boehmei sling's water dish was dried so I decided to fill it. This spider is around 0.75", very calm and never climbs so there is never any issues with it. I always take caution when doing any maintainence regardless of the T but today was the day I took a chance.
I was in a hurry so I opened the enclosure on a cluttered table which I never do but as it was this particular sling I was sure there'd be no problem. When the top was off, there was no sign of the sling. Then I felt that unmistakable feeling of a spider walking on my thumb. I am so lucky it's a calm spider because if it decided to bolt it would have either been killed from a fall or gone out of sight.
I'm just sharing this little event as a reminder that one should never get complacent and assume that you can predict how a spider will behave.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
Good advice! About a month ago I opened a sling container w/o locating the sling first.
It was flung into my hand and chose to go back into its enclosure. Coulda been dead cuz I didn't follow a simple rule. After that I realized I need to get into better habits before getting my m balfouri or any OW. I was able to do it back in my rattle snake days and it seems I've gotten sloppy. Good reminder!

truecreature

Arachnoknight
This is definitely important to keep in mind because it's waaay too easy to get complacent and start to trust a well-behaved spider. I know I'm guilty of this with some of my slings and I need to cut it out. All it takes is that one time.

cold blood

Staff member
Get a syringe, you'll never have to touch a lid to fill the dish or moisten sub.

The tip of the day has been brought to you by.....ME :smile:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Unless your spide likes to poop in her water dish. *gives disapproving look to The Luggage*
tbh id rather them poop in the dish then web the dish with an entire shirt like my boys do.. both gbbs used to just silk it up as soon as i replaced it.. i literally gave up filling it and gave them water on their web.. they drank to XD

a few of my psalms are the same way "lets put coco in the dish then web it over so he cant fill our dish YAY" -.- i hate that.. but i keep herps so poo in the dish is nothing new to you

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Get a syringe, you'll never have to touch a lid to fill the dish or moisten sub.

The tip of the day has been brought to you by.....ME :smile:
Truest and best pro tip you'll see today.
Advanced pro tip? Hook up an IV line to the hose of a garden sprayer (w/ hose clamp of course) and you have yourself a pressurized water system with a syringe tip....T-set and 3-way stop cock on the end.....game changer. One handed water system operation, AND the tops stay shut on all your enclosures until feeding time. I can water the entire hoard in minutes. See your local vet's trash can for supplies.

cold blood

Staff member
I use a turkey baster that I had just sitting around. Makes things super simple.
That works, too...but the needle in a syringe allows you to go through the vent holes instead of opening the top....the t's don't even know you are there.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That works, too...but the needle in a syringe allows you to go through the vent holes instead of opening the top....the t's don't even know you are there.
I do this too granted in some species you have to perfectly place the hole above the cap and hope they dont throw it around XD