Solifugid Jump Myth

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's pretty obvious if you have done any research that there are a lot of urban legends revolving around the fugids, such as chasing people, growing to impossible sizes, and being quite potent/dangerous. I also read from various sources that they can jump six feet high, which of course is false. I myself had an individual from Arizona for just under a year. Seemed like a very mellow creature actually. This individual was not seemingly fast or able to climb its plastic enclosure. However, there was an instance where the spider (i know they aren't spiders, but for the sake of the usage of same terms) seemingly jumped the 1.5 feet to the top of the container while i was sifting through my bin for a cricket (lunch). As i said before, i have not witnessed such speed in this specimen ever (with the exception of this event). I turned my head for about five seconds with the lid off. Does anyone have information regarding solifugids' agility? I am just very curious, as are most enthusiasts when it comes to sunspiders.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
they don't jump, but i have seen them climb quite quickly up surfaces using their pedipalps. it was surprising to me the very first time i saw it b/c of the speed and the fact that i was not expecting it. very interesting to watch them do this.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As with many ground dwellers, bursts of speed=survival. With various birds and animals diligently searching for food it's run and run fast or become a snack, even if the animal isn't oriented towards speed at all. Climbing is also a natural defense even if the animal doesn't normally climb. Birds and animals like mongoose plowing up the detritus layer inch by inch a tree or bush is the only means of escape.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Some genera, like chanbria have specialized slender palps, which are too small to aid them in climbing smooth surfaces. Those arent very common in the hobby though, as they tend to inhabit areas largely inaccessible to vehicles except during the height of summer when you dont wanna be out there unless youre crazy like me. lol

Eremobates is one genus that climbs very well and must be housed in covered enclosures.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
... during the height of summer when you dont wanna be out there unless youre crazy like me. lol
Where?? WHERE? And where were you when we were refurbishing the Furnace Creek public area that summer; 125+ degrees.