Heteropoda Eggsac Incubation Time

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since I'm planning on breeding several Heteropoda sp. in the future, I was wondering how long it takes for a sac to hatch after the females lay them? I'd like to be able to prep a bit before the pitter-patter of hundreds of hyperactive feet fill my room (and preferably not my apartment :p ).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Depends of species and environment. An average of 3 weeks. Most moms will stop feeding the entire time and for a week or more after the eggs hatch.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
At room temps I pull the sacs at 4 weeks and it takes around two more till the slings leave the sac.
This for H.venatoria.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the responses. I'm debating on pulling the sac after a point and just incubating it to avoid the slings getting in every single nook and cranny of the enclosure. Does mom start picking the kids off when she decides to be hungry again?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks for the responses. I'm debating on pulling the sac after a point and just incubating it to avoid the slings getting in every single nook and cranny of the enclosure. Does mom start picking the kids off when she decides to be hungry again?
I've never heard of the mother picking the kids off, however, I would worry about the kids picking each other off. I've heard that some people do that to 'ensure the fittest one survives' or to just make them easier to deal with and such.

Good luck with your breeding! I'll be your first customer (b'-')b haha

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
3-4 weeks for most species depending on temps like The Snark said. You should notice the sac start to swell after after 2 weeks or so, so yo0u'll know if its good. Most cacses when a female has a bad sac they toss it after a few days.

Later, Tom

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
3-4 weeks for most species depending on temps like The Snark said. You should notice the sac start to swell after after 2 weeks or so, so yo0u'll know if its good. Most cacses when a female has a bad sac they toss it after a few days.

Later, Tom
I need more info on this. Most spiders abandon bad/unfertilized sacs but I've also noticed, in Venatoria anyway, that they are extremely protective dedicated mothers. We had one who packed around an empty sac for nearly 2 months. Hardly a scientific study but makes me wonder. The refusing to eat anything during and post gestation is undoubtedly a strong genetic signal in this protection and I wonder how far it extends.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
You definitely don't want them around the enclosure. Heck no! You'll have an angry mom and a few dozen slings to deal with. All of them really fast and agitated by others.
As I said I pull the sac(venatoria) at 4 weeks at lowish room temps and they're EWL at that point. It takes a week or two to disperse and that's when they start to be a problem. I let my first sac cannibalize until 24 were left, that took three weeks in rised temps with one feeding with FFF.
Then I separated them. Almost pooped my pants. Even the small slings are fast. You don't wan't to face those and the mom at the same time.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd really rather not have to deal with an irate mother who's fast as all get out while trying to deal with slings that are also fast as can be. Does anyone have any setups for pulling sacs they can recommend? I've also heard that the mom will destroy the sac if she gets too stressed. Is this true?

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Yes. My female ate her first sac when with her previous owners. When it rolled her two sacs in my care, I had her in very roomy tank in a quiet corner of the house.
I'll try to remember to snap a few shot or a vid of my equipment I used.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Alright, I'll upgrade them soon and try to find a nice quiet place for them to be after they drop the sac.