Genus Ctenus Potency

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In terms of true spiders, I've been getting hooked on sparassids and wandering spiders. I am aware that Phoneutria have very hazardous venom, and the next best thing i could find in the US is the genus Ctenus. I have read both that they are not medically significant, and that they have the same neurotoxic affect of Phoneutria, just not as powerful. I don't know what to believe. :/

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm going to chime in on this, but I'm not an expert by far, just have done some readings: The Phoneutria are the only ones in the hobby that are potent. Among the Sparassids, I'm pretty sure they're not medically significant, once again for the animals in the hobby. There might be sp. from the Sparassidae & Ctenidea (other than Phoneutria) families, but they have not been found/are still in the wild.

I could be wrong tho, I'd like to hear what from other people as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
OP, ctenids are a family that includes phoneutria. Can you narrow down to which genus? As in, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ctenidae_species
Supposedly only phoneutria poses a deadly threat but that doesn't mean several others can't make you want to jump out a window, screaming.
Personally I'd suggest sticking with sparassids if powerful neurotoxins are a concern. All the athletics and 'OH SNIT!' stuff without the cover charge. As in, a chunky old Venatoria goes zooming onto my hand I'm inclined to blow at it and watch the panic show. With the zots packing larger calibers I'm the one who does the panic thing.

Last edited:

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was looking at species in Central America, like Cupiennius. Also, i was wondering about US species such as Ctenus hibernalis, or captiosus.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Cupiennius bites are comparable to a bee sting, based on several sources.
As said only Phoneutria are considered potentially fatal but some other species are thought to be "medically significant". No evidence however has been presented and it might just be an assumption from their relation to Phoneutria.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
US species of Ctenus won't hurt you other than a bit of mechanical damage from their fangs.