Grasshoppers as food?

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Several years ago when I got into keeping herps I recall reading that some grasshoppers were suitable as feeders while others were "poisonous." Have any of you had problems feeding grasshoppers to your T's?

I ask because there is an area near that is pesticide-free and has many grasshoppers. I thought it might be nice to have a cricket alternative provided these didn't prove to be a hazard.

Thanks!

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ddale said:
Several years ago when I got into keeping herps I recall reading that some grasshoppers were suitable as feeders while others were "poisonous." Have any of you had problems feeding grasshoppers to your T's?

I ask because there is an area near that is pesticide-free and has many grasshoppers. I thought it might be nice to have a cricket alternative provided these didn't prove to be a hazard.

Thanks!
good question i also live near a place were i can get pesticide-free grasshoppers. i did'nt know that some of them could be poisonous. but i dont think that the ones hear are poisonous couse the robbins seem to like them(unless someone els tells me otherwise).

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hoopers

You can feed grasshoppers as long as you are sure they are pesticide free. I have been feeding 3 emp scorpions for 1 1/2 years on as many wild caught grass hoppers as crickets. I have been feeding my slings some small grasshoppers since I have to drive an hour to purchase pinheads. I know the hoppers I am catching are pesticide free.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I forgot to say that I have heard of a lubber grasshopper that is in the southern USA that is supposed to be poisonous to herps.

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I forgot to say that I have heard of a lubber grasshopper that is in the southern USA that is supposed to be poisonous to herps.

That's the one I read about. I'm going to have to look up a pic of it so i know what to avoid. Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a link I just found to a pic for those who live in SE USA:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesRECNUM.asp?recnum=IS0084

I wonder if it's toxicity affects T's - Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I caught a grasshopper years ago and fed it to my Rosie. He loved it. I wish the pet stores would sell them as feeders. I get sick of looking at the crickets so I can only imagine how the T's feel!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey ddale, Thanx for the pic of the lubber grasshopper. I am glad we don't have them in Missouri.

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Hey ddale, Thanx for the pic of the lubber grasshopper. I am glad we don't have them in Missouri.
No problem, but from what I've read since my last post, there seems to be more than one species of lubbers in the eastern/southeastern US and they vary in appearance.

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Grashopper

I have a juvenile Brachypelma Vagans, and it tackels a small grashopper like nothing you have seen before. I just buy them at my local pet store...
My P.Cancerides like them very much I think, or she wouldn't eat 4 of them :)

I would recommend buying instead of catching...So you can make sure there all clean of pesticides...

Greetz,
Joey

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The local shops around here are lucky to have crickets in quantity and I've never seen a local store sell grasshoppers. I order my crickets from grubco.com by the 2000, but I'd love to find some grasshopper feeder suppliers.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a good idea of buying the hoppers but I don't know of any place in the USA that sells grasshoppers.

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I did a quick search on dogpile.com and most grasshoppers for sale dealt with dried specimens or small (and expensive) quantities used for science projects.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
When I was a kid I would "experiment" with grasshoppers....well, during an "experiment" a grasshopper POPPED open and it had about 5-8 big LONG moving worms in it..... I thought they were intestines until the intestine crawled away on its own. I dont think Ill be feeding my Ts anything I know to have parasitic worms!! Crickets probably do too but I dont know about it. One in every 4 or 5 grasshoppers I found had these worms. Just a thought.

Michelle

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OldHag said:
When I was a kid I would "experiment" with grasshoppers....well, during an "experiment" a grasshopper POPPED open and it had about 5-8 big LONG moving worms in it..... I thought they were intestines until the intestine crawled away on its own. I dont think Ill be feeding my Ts anything I know to have parasitic worms!! Crickets probably do too but I dont know about it. One in every 4 or 5 grasshoppers I found had these worms. Just a thought.

Michelle

Gross!
OK my mind's made up

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OldHag said:

Michelle
I guess you won't be eating any chocolate covered grasshoppers now huh? {D {D {D {D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
No, I quit soon after that discovery...Now Im off to those really large grubs...you know, the ones about the size of a really big mans thumb...OH mmmm Chocolate covered grubs :p

Michelle

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OldHag said:
No, I quit soon after that discovery...Now Im off to those really large grubs...you know, the ones about the size of a really big mans thumb...OH mmmm Chocolate covered grubs :p

Michelle
Do the grubs taste like chicken?

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got 4 lubber grasshoppers at a pet shop in massachuesetts, just wondering if they are toxic to centipedes and large scorpions? i know its better to not take a chance, but i got them thinking they would be a good treat for my pets, without knowing anything about them

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I fed my T a winged grasshopper that was about 2 1/2 inches long. It took a while to die in her grasp, but then she ate it all! even the wings. She must have loved it because she has been aggressive lately perhaps looking for another big and fiesty treat?