Nhandu coloratovillosus pre-molt

wndurham

Arachnopeon
I have a quick question for the masses, regarding my Nhandu coloratovillosus. I recently purchased a 3.5" female Nhandu coloratovillosus. Since I brought her home and rehoused her she has not done much. Meaning she has not eaten since I bought her (I have tried a small cricket 1-2 times per week), she has done little in the way of webbing and is not using the hide I placed in the enclosure. She has been hanging out behind a small plant I placed in for decoration. When I bought her she looked a bit drab in coloring but healthy and I thought/think she is in pre-molt (not sure of the last time she molted). Her abdomen is still plump/full and healthy looking. It has turned from light grey to black which makes me think she is getting ready to molt, however her lack of webbing has me wondering. I keep her enclosure at a solid 72-75 degrees and I keep the humidity at 70%. She is still active and seems healthy that's why I keeping thinking she is in pre-molt. Any thoughts or advice/insight anyone might have would be great, as I am still getting my feet wet in this hobby.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
They tend to web more after they eat so if she's going in premolt like you're suspecting(which seems likely from what you said), then the lack of webbing is normal behavior, especially since she's in a new enclosure. She'll probably wait until she's ready to molt to web up a bit and molt there.

Nothing to worry about here.

BTW, mine's really not webbing much so you may not see much from them. Not sure if it's normal for them or if it's just mine.

cold blood

Staff member
I have one about the same size, I can tell you from your description (a pic would be better!!) that its pre-molt...the drab coloring, the not eating...both signs...this is an extremely hungry species, when they are not pre-molt, they are ALL about food. Keep the sub damp and just sit back and wait for it to molt, absolutely nothing else you can or should do.

Mine's not a heavy webber by any means....I never see it webbing or evidence of it aside from while its eating.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Mine hates a damp substrate and loves a dry substrate. Raising humidity while keeping the substrate is dry is quite a challenge for most but when it was in pre-molt with obvious web mats, i filled her enclosure with 3 small delicups filled with water to avoid wetting anything.

wndurham

Arachnopeon
It Molted

Hurray my Nhandu coloratovillosus molted last night! Thanks for all the advice! Now I can wait to feed her!!!!!!