Mantis gender in instar 1 nymphs?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I have 4 carolina mantis nymphs. 3 of them have the abdomens fully extended. The other one, however,
only has it's abdomen a bit back. And I fed them regularly with flightless fruit flies (melongaster).

Is the 4th one a male? As it tried to go near the others. And what should I do about it?

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
The position they hold their abdomen doesn't determine sex, it's more an indicator of how full they are or what is most comfortable for them. Males also don't develop any attraction toward females until maturity; trying to go near the others is either a random exploration or an attempt at eating them!

By third or fourth instar, they should be large enough for you to check their terminal segments on the undersides of their abdomens with a magnifying glass. Males have more visible segments, which are small and tapered, while females have one terminal segment which is wider.

Stagmomantis is not a genus where you have to slow the males down so they mature at the same time as the females. You can take care of your boys the same way as the girls.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
..............Stagmomantis is not a genus where you have to slow the males down so they mature at the same time as the females. You can take care of your boys the same way as the girls.
How 'bout African species? Do you have to keep the males at lower temperatures to slow maturity?

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
Kind of hard to tell at L1

Here's a link with pics that might help you out
http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7110

I have 4 carolina mantis nymphs. 3 of them have the abdomens fully extended. The other one, however,
only has it's abdomen a bit back. And I fed them regularly with flightless fruit flies (melongaster).

Is the 4th one a male? As it tried to go near the others. And what should I do about it?