Sticking an endoscope camera down a wolf spider burrow

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I managed to buy a cheap endoscope camera off eBay. There are a number of burrows made by wolf spiders on a rural property that I was staying at recently. One day, I decided to poke an endoscope camera down one of the burrows and see what i could find inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvQmHkCekg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Nice!
Suggestion: You take high tensile wire and attach 3 or 4 whiskers like cats whiskers to near the end, sticking out and backwards about a 1/2 to 1 inch at a 45 degree angle. The whiskers push it away from the walls keeping it centered in the hole. Experiment with various ways of doing it.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I have done this with tarantula burrows but my endocope is basically a small camera with a long cord that connects to a computer with a USB connection. What type of endoscope do you have? Mine is incredibly cumbersome to use since I need to carry my laptop with me in the field, heats up way too much, and isn't water proof which I found out the hard way.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What type of endoscope do you have? Mine is incredibly cumbersome to use since I need to carry my laptop with me in the field
Mine is the same. Yea, I had to carry the laptop around with me as well which is a nuisance. Recently, I purchased another endoscope camera which is battery operated (it does not need to be connected to a computer.) Though I haven't used it as yet.