What is my versicolor doing?

baijuncheng

Arachnopeon
I went to check on my versicolor, and it was on the ground. I watched to see what it was up to and it picked up a lump of dirt it its fangs and then took it to its web. It dropped the dirt in the web and then went back down for more. What is it up to?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like it's constructing some 'dirt curtains'.

Good luck.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
He's just renovating his home.. covering webbing in dirt, nothing to fret over...

baijuncheng

Arachnopeon
Alright then, thank for the replies. Just thought it was a bit strange, wanted to make sure everything is ok.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
My Psalmos do the same thing - it's entertaining to see how much landscaping they accomplish in one night. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My tarantula is eating, is this normal? Sorry I couldn't resist [emoji14]

baijuncheng

Arachnopeon
Not very common with this species, although occasionally you'll get an individual who actually does eat on a regular basis.
To be honest, I'm not even sure it is G. rosea. My friend also has one but his is more beautiful than mine with more vivid colours compared to my very dull one.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It might be a G.portei then, which is often also called G.rosea, although many consider it a completely different species Now.

cold blood

Staff member
I had that suspicion after reading some threads here. I guess I'll never know.
Post a pic, its fairly easy to tell most of the time.

A year is a long time for one to continue to eat....is it smaller or an adult?

cold blood

Staff member
Yup, its a porteri.

I've had mine 15 years, and the entire time its been on a 4 year molt schedule, with the shortest fast being over 6 months and the longest over 13 months. Until yesterday when she surprised me and molted nearly 3 years ahead of schedule, after only a 10 week fast....over the fall and winter she ate 1 cricket about every month and a half and I didn't even consider her as fasting.

In all that time, its never even come close to eating for a year straight...5 months might be the longest I've seen with mine....I do suspect mine to be very old though.