Trachymorcephalus sp. ?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I'm tempted to add one of these to an order I'm planning on making soon, but there's not much out there on these guys. The only solid info I've been able to dig up is that they should reach up to 4-5' in length and apparently should be kept a little on the drier side, but not having had centipedes before I'm not sure exactly how dry that would be. I've also seen a few posts mentioning that the species name may have changed.

Has anyone else been keeping these successfully long term? If so I'd love to hear what you're doing. I don't want to spend $30 just to feel bad if I end up killing it with incorrect husbrandy, lol.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard it's now Scolopendra, possibly Scolopendra mirabilis. You might try searching under that name.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Bringing the pictures up, they do look like the same pede. Unfortunately I can't really find much on that name either :( Man. Thank you for the heads up though

Maybe I'll just wait around for a blue form S. polymorpha. They're not as pretty IMO and I don't know how blue the adults stay but at least they're not Bigfoot-quality elusive.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Bringing the pictures up, they do look like the same pede. Unfortunately I can't really find much on that name either :( Man. Thank you for the heads up though

Maybe I'll just wait around for a blue form S. polymorpha. They're not as pretty IMO and I don't know how blue the adults stay but at least they're not Bigfoot-quality elusive.
The blueness of S. polymorpha does fade over time, but they are hardy creatures, and the amount of fading depends on what pop they hail from

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Bill is correct. These haven't been in the U.S. for a while. They are Tanzanian, reportedly from the savannah. What you read about husbandry is correct. To achieve this, think of looking under rocks in an semi-arid location: the soil will be like the middle layer in a flower pot, several days after watering. Place multiple hides, some in this condition and some dry. Overall, it should be just on the other side of dry. As long as the animal always has access to water and a retreat that retains some moisture it should be OK. I hope someone with determination and extra $$ buys a groups and reproduces so we don't have to wait for another import.

nurunuru

Arachnopeon
It does indeed appear to be another name for Scolopendra mirabilis; I see Ken the Bug Guy has them in stock now after a recent import from Tanzania. No clue where the name 'Trachymorcephalus sp.' came from.

Per McMonigle's wonderful tome on centipedes...

Adult length is 3.5"
It usually sits on top of the substrate when kept in captivity
Good eater
Slow grower
Tends to be (comparatively) docile
Difficult to find in the hobby

In the interests of domestic bliss, I am not ordering one of these, but otherwise I'd snap one up in a heartbeat! Prettiest looking pede I've seen, even compared to hardwickei. But then hardwickei does have size in its favour.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
No clue where the name 'Trachymorcephalus sp.' came from.
Spelling has never been Ken's strong suit ;) It is Trachycormocephalus and it is a junior synonym. I think taxonomy with this one has been problematic.