Reduviidae (Assassin Bug)?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found in Michigan. About 3/4 cm in length. Can anyone narrow down to genus?
IMG_1652.jpg

Second pic
IMG_1654.jpg

EDIT: IF I AM CORRECT, I'VE FIGURED THIS TO BE A DAMSEL BUG.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Probably Nabis Rugosus. One of the beneficial predators getting the wholesale insecticide spraying shaft. I recall reading an article where they were spraying for certain corn borers, mostly slaughtering the local Damsel bugs that preferred the corn borers as their main diet. Typical midwest ill educated victims of corporate BS.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah. That kind of stuff is kind of disappointing. These beneficial predators and others are losing entire populations in crop fields. I try to tell me parents the same thing when they decide to spray for bees. So many people think of insecticides and other sprays as the norm. In situations like the one you described, they don't have to spray to get rid of the borers. :/

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yeah. That kind of stuff is kind of disappointing. These beneficial predators and others are losing entire populations in crop fields. I try to tell me parents the same thing when they decide to spray for bees. So many people think of insecticides and other sprays as the norm. In situations like the one you described, they don't have to spray to get rid of the borers. :/
Just ask your parents what I ask people: "Let's say that can of spray you are using is okay. It's just one can, after all. Now, what about the other 10,000,000 cans used every day? And that is only a tiny fraction of the insecticides used each day. Do you think this could be harming the environment?"